For Those Who served

gonfishn

Commander
Bobs post reminded me that Veterns Day is coming up in a few. To me a vet is any one who honorably served. It is a time for reflection for many of us. We pay homage to those who paid the ultimate price so that we may sleep safe at night knowing that we are protected by those who are serving today. I am planning to go to the wall this year to visit my comrades who are not here today.

I am curious to see how many of us have served and where out duties took us.

I was a Hospital Corpsman(Doc) Attached to the Marines from 1968-1978

In country 1968-1969 1971-1972. (1st Marines). To include also
Japan,Okinawai,Phillipines,Korea,Australia,Hawaii and Guam were some of the more notable areas i was stationed at. Of all the places i saw the there is no better place then here in the USA where freedom of speech has been gained by those who served.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Re: For Those Who served

Army field artillery '86-90
training in Ft Sill OK
Baumholder Germany for 2 years then North Carolina for the remainder
then recalled for Saudi in '91. wound up back in Germany sitting in Graf

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

GONFISHIN and AVENGER- Thank you for protecting my freedom and liberties, and for forging the path that others have followed.

Last edited:

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fort Drum NY 04-07
Afghanistan 06-07 16 months
Fort Sill OK 07-09
Fort Drum NY 09-current
Iraq 09-10 8 months
About to hit my 7th year in.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

US Navy 72 - 80 aboard the fast attack submarine USS Sunfish, SSN 649 out of Charleston, SC. Was a nuke Machinist Mate. Last year and a half stationed aboard the USS Simon Lake, a tender eventually sent down to Kings Bay, GA.

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

USMC 69-73
MCRD San Diego
Camp Pedelton
Quang Tri
Hawaii
Camp Pendelton
HOME

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Air National Guard 1978 to present. Part timer 78 - 83, Full time 83 - present.
Norway, Saudi Arabia x 2, Turkey x 2, Kuwait x 2, Iraq and Afghanistan.

angus63

Captain

USNR 1985-1991 IRR
USS Harlan County LST-1196
Norfolk

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

U.S. Coast Guard
2000 - present, passed my 10th year this last June.

usa.gif

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

USN
1987-1993, medically retired and placed on the permanantly retired list 1995 due to a service connected disability.

mphy98

Lieutenant

US Air Force 1972 to 1975. Keesler, Anderson, McDill. AFSC 32833 ECM.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Army 85-93

Ft Knox
Camp Casey Korea
Ft Polk
Ft Lenard Wood
Stuttgart Germany
Desert Shield/ Desert Storm
Ft Campbell
Ft Hood

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

USAF '66- '70. One yr in Thailand, the rest stateside.
Mike

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Air Force brat here, but I was in U.S. Army 1987-2009.

The wife is a Navy brat of a 30 year vet. She was the de facto matriarch of the household after mom left.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

US Navy '67 - '73

San Diego for Basic & EM A school.
USS Robert K Huntington - in the Med playing with Russian subs.
Bainbridge, MD. for basic nukie school, then to Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.
USS Truxton - 3 West PACs and numerous times messin' around with the Russians. We got "caught" tagging along with the Russians western fleet going into Vladivostok. :D They were not amused.

Had an opportunity to go either NESEP or be a Chief PO. The Bosslady told me, do what ya want. I'll be in KC. :confused: Then she had the nerve to tell me in '07 that if you stayed in you could have retired with 30 years and I wouldn't have to work.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have never served in the military, but i have friends who are current military.

I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who serve to protect. I am very thankful for all you guys do, and I do not take the freedom I have because of it lightly. I know that big sacrifices are made on a daily basis to protect the ones we love.

Thank you so much for all you guys and gal's do.

salute.gif

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I have never served in the military, but i have friends who are current military.

I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who serve to protect. I am very thankful for all you guys do, and I do not take the freedom I have because of it lightly. I know that big sacrifices are made on a daily basis to protect the ones we love.

Thank you so much for all you guys and gal's do.

salute.gif
Thank you! It was a pleasure!

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

USN 94 - Present
Enlisted to officer '07
Bootcamp Orlando FL
EM A-school '94
Nuke Power School '94
Law Enforcement Academy, lackland '95
La Maddalena, Italy 95-98
CTT A-school, Pensacola FL
NSGA Denver, CO '99-01
VAQ-140 '01-04
Afghanistan '02
Iraq '04
BOOST/Naval Science Institute '04-05, Newport RI
U of Michigan '05-07
NIOC Suitland (DC) '07-10
Pentagon 1 yr '09
CNE-CNA-C6F Italy current

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remember the Guy that Wouldn't take the Flag down?

Head east from Carthage on Mississippi [Route] 16 toward Philadelphia. After a few miles a sign says you're in Edinburg. It's a good thing the sign's there because there's no other way to tell.

On June 15, 1919, Van T. Barfoot was born in Edinburg -- probably didn't make much news back then.
Twenty-five years later, on May 23, 1944, near Carano, Italy, Van T. Barfoot, who had enlisted in the Army in 1940, set out to flank German machine gun positions from which fire was coming down on his fellow soldiers. He advanced through a minefield, took out three enemy machine gun positions and returned with 17 prisoners of war.

If that wasn't enough for a day's work, he later took on and destroyed three German tanks sent to retake the machine gun positions.

That probably didn't make much news either, given the scope of the war, but it did earn Van T. Barfoot, who retired as a colonel after also serving in Korea and Vietnam, a Congressional Medal of Honor.

What did make news last week was a neighborhood association's quibble with how the 90-year-old veteran chose to fly the American flag outside his suburban Virginia home. Seems the rules said a flag could be flown on a house-mounted bracket, but, for decorum, items such as Barfoot's 21-foot flagpole were unsuitable.

He had been denied a permit for the pole, erected it anyway and was facing court action if he didn't take it down. Since the story made national TV, the neighborhood association has rethought its position and agreed to indulge this old hero who dwells among them.

"In the time I have left I plan to continue to fly the American flag without
interference," Barfoot told The Associated Press.

As well he should.

And if any of his neighbors still takes a notion to contest him, they might want to
read his Medal of Honor citation. It indicates he's not real good at backing down.

Van T. Barfoot's Medal of Honor citation:

This 1944 Medal of Honor citation, listed with the National Medal of Honor
Society, is for Second Lieutenant Van T. Barfoot, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry:

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety.
Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of point blank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers."

If you got this email and didn't pass it on - guess what - you deserve to get your butt kicked! I sent this to you because I didn't want to get MY butt kicked.

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE... ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am appalled that there are people in this country that don't believe there were wars which young American men voluntarily walked into in order to protect their families and our way of life by preventing aggressors from gaining our shores. Until the day I die I will always revere soldiers like this and give them the respect they deserve. It is so sad that that not only are topics like this not mentioned in our schools curriculum the sacrifices that all soldiers in our military made (regardless of race, color, creed, religious preference) but are not given the respect they deserve for their service to our "Lost Country & it's once great values."

PS: They are dying off at the rate of 1000 a day. If you pray, please give your thanks to these great soldiers