Follow-up on previous thread/issue

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all help on my previous thread, I did get things working better on this. Basically, ran like crap. Here's what I did: was running bad, replaced a carb, still running bad, dispensed bad fuel and added stabilizer and carb cleaner solvents (separate ones), ran it for a while and started getting "better and better" after each operation. So it still starts stalling at idle, just not quickly. It can idle smooth for around 10 seconds and then starts to stall. I usually just speed it up again and it goes okay. Luckily right now I'm using for hunting and not fishing so no trolling speeds except when I'm docking up. I can "work around it" okay but need to get it better for spring Chinook fishing (lots of idle speed trolling). I do have a local mechanic I found that might be good to take it to but he's on a long vacation so I'm trying to see if there's some easy way to fix. Here's some more info:
  • It runs "good" at high speed. May be a little low on full power but might be the prop issue. Does run at about 15 mph on my 14' aluminum boat. That seems at least "ok". Doesn't ever do anything bad at that speed.
  • Seems to start okay, choke or warmed up without. I do have to idle it at a higher speed.
  • I tested everything on the fuel delivery (tank, hoses, fuel pump, filter) and it all seems okay. I say it "squirting out" fuel from the pump after I removed it form the carb. Seems like it would be very low if a bad issue. It used so little fuel it just doesn't need as much as coming out (yes, restrained by the carb's float properly).
  • Cylinder compression seems fine, both 90 PSI.
Pottential issues?
  • I'm mostly wondering if it's a "slowing down" on the air/fuel ratio. I can't find any way to adjust it. I did check the two gaskets between the carb and engine, they seem very clean and shouldn't be allowing any air being pulled in. I'm wondering is there's some other issue.
  • The only other thing I'm wondering about is maybe I don't have the correct carb gaps (yes, should have checked that). Could that be an idle issue but not for higher speed?
  • Anything else it might be that I can fix (or can't)?
Thanks,
BB

pvanv

Admiral
This is on that 9.8A3? Fuel ratio is fixed. The 2 carb gaskets should have a plastic spacer between them. What do the plugs look like? I take it they are NGK DCPR6E plugs...