Fog Lights, What's with 'em

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer
Maybe you guys and gals can offer me a different point of view. Or maybe I'm in the minority of smart people and am right. I personally think that there is no justifiable excuse for having the fog/auxiliary/driving lights on your car turned on when it's not foggy out or when you are driving in traffic even in light fog. My reasons are that you can't see any farther or any better when other vehicles are around you simply by having your extra lights on. The same principle applies to the extra light created by these lights as high beam headlights. The extra light makes it more difficult for other drivers to see, thus ultimately making it less safe. :eek: And since your safety is not solely in your hands, it also makes it less safe for you. So is it stupidity or arrogance that compells these people to behave in such an inconsiderate and unsafe manner? And don't get me started on the moronic rectums who turn just their parking lights on so their fog lights will work. I am amused at how upset these jerks get when I am oncoming traffic and turn my bright foglights on only for them. Yes, I have foglights on my brushguard, and no I don't routinely drive with them on, I find no benefit to them, except maybe the P-O factor. It's ironic how it's ok for them but how dare anyone else do it, or hold them accountable for their actions. :mad: <br /><br />Am I wrong or am I right? (Of course I think I'm right, AND more considerate. :p )

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fog Lights, What's with 'em

You are right.<br />But it is legal to have fog lights on at any time.<br />Fog lights are most effective when the regular headlights are off.<br /><br />Auxiliary driving lights are a different story.<br />They are to be used like a highbeam headlight. <br />That is, never within 500 feet of an approaching vehicle, or within 500 feet of a vehicle you are following.<br /><br />Its too bad they don't teach this, and issue tickets to the violators.<br /><br />Also, mounting height is dictated by law. I think it is 48" maximun from the road surface.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

One of my daily pet-peaves...As I leave for werk at 4:15AM monday thru Friday, I can relate to how you feel about it. Many people just aren't very considerate.<br />When I see a car with it's fog lights on, on a clear morining, or one riding my arse with his high beamsa on, I have to rub the Christian "fish" symbol I affixed to my steering wheel, to squelch the road-rage swelling within me. It also reminds me that I'm amoungst moron....Some drunk, some drugged, some simply brain-dead---- and it's up to me to run this gauntlet to werk, and arrive alive.<br /><br />It does help. So far, I haven't unloaded my glock on thier headlamps.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have those stupid coloured lights in the US? <br /><br />Some are like little pinpoint fog lights mounted under the front bumper but blue/white and real bright to look at on an oncoming car but don't illuminate the road? <br /><br />Plus fluoro lights under the front bumper; blue lights on the washer heads; and stupid little lights all over the underbody.<br /><br />They're WOFTAM's as far as I'm concerned.

ZmOz

Captain

People are idiots, that's all there is to it. You could randomly point to anyone in a crowd and say they're stupid, and you'd be right 95% of the time. :rolleyes: Overly bright lights of some sort caused me to drive into a ditch a little over a year ago, totaling my truck and giving me permanent neck problems. :mad:

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

If you are talking about those ugly,blinding,yellow things I wholeheartedly agree that they should NEVER be used,even in foggy conditions.<br />Both of our Rangers have the little round white lights that help quite a lot and I've never seen any glare from them on other oncoming Ford trucks.<br />One foggy morning I got stuck behind some YEEHA that had the flashers on.THAT was a tough ride!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Fog light when properly adjusted should never be a blinding problem for other motorists. Fog lights were designed to light up the road directly in front of the vehicle about 50'. They surpose to get under the fog to light up the road. But when they are aimed into the fog, just like other lights, it illuminated the fog making it worse. If the fog is so thick with less than a 50' visability, a person should be driving to the conditions. Anyone who drives fast in the fog deserves what ever happens to them. Mostly it is them rearending someone.<br /><br />I agree that the usage at times is inappropiate. But they are nice to have when they are used accordingly.

LadyFish

Admiral

We have the white fog lights on both vehicles. I accidently leave them on all the time. There is no idiot light telling me I have them on and by the time I drive at night or in fog again, I forget. The darn switch is also not very user friendly. I can never find it when I need it.<br /><br />I didn't realize how aggravating they are until the other night when Mr. LF was behind me in his truck. I called him and told him to turn those darn things off they were blinding me in the mirror. As he fumbled with the switch he acciddently turned on the highbeams (yeah gee thanks Mr. LF) and the fog lights went off. I didn't know that would happen.<br /><br />Anyway, I made a point the next morning to find the switch in my car and turn it off so I don't offend other drivers.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Well,<br /><br />I keep my driving lights on all the time. They are not fog lights..i.e yellow, but clear lights. I have them pointed down to the ground for greater visability. My truck sits up high, so to have lights that light up the road (not driver's mirrors or windows), it gives me greater visability.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Useful here in Indiana on a foggy AM. But they do tend to glare to others.

ehenry

Commander

I think Ms Ladyfish hit it on the head. Most all cars and trucks now come from the factory equipped with these lights and most all cars and trucks now have headlights that stay on as long as the ingnition switch is on. I agree that all these lights are a pain for most everyone, me inculded, but most folks dont even know that the extra light are even on. OH, and the State Troopers here in MS and the Madison County deputies will pull you over for running these lights when you shouldn't.

Laddies

Banned

If the manufactures must install them then the should be held responcably for the proper adjucments and problems that they cause everone else, people that don't maintain that adjustment should be fined just as if it were the headlight that were not adjusted properly, I for one am sick of them---Bob

spratt

Lieutenant

It gets foggy around here, for sure. This morning is one of those mornings, when you have to cut your way through it to get to the car. Funny thing is, I don't notice the fog lights so m uch unless the folks who have the after market ones have them adjusted all crazy and they point up right into the face of oncoming traffic. <br /><br /><br />What really BURNS me are the ones who insist on driving in semi-darkness, rain, foul weather, etc., and don't turn ANY lights on, like as along as they can see others it is ok, but don't give a rat's arse if they can be seen or not by merging traffic, etc., and then give the finger if you remind them they need to have their lights on.

eeboater

Commander

My Grand has two driving lights beneath the headlights and I keep them on at all times. Don't lump all people who use their driving lights on all the time with the dipweeds who don't know how to take care of their car. Mine are at a level that they do not disrupt the oncoming traffic. I, for one, can tell when they are not on because my path in front of me is not illuminated as bright. <br /><br />The lights are pointed at a downward angle ensuring a clear path ahead of me.<br /><br />Now, on the other hand. If someone is a complete jack-a** to me and cuts me off or something that. I won't hesitate to flash my 4 KC Daylighters :D <br /><br />
1387432-jpsmall.jpg
<br /><br />Sean

dolluper

Captain

I think the point is '"FOG LIGHTS" no fog turn the figger's off or get classed as a MOORON

D

DJ

OEM fog/driving lights automtically shut off when the hi beams are activated. That is an FMVSS standard.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

fog lights = yellow<br />extra driving lights = clear/white

KaGee

Admiral

Getting bent outta shape over fog lights??<br /><br />You got issues pal... better get counciling before it turns into road rage.

spratt

Lieutenant

It isn't necessarily the FOG lights, Kagee...it is just lights in general, ya know...remember some folks can't turn them on, some can't turn them off, some find power control in haveing the LIGHTS on or off when they want to, and others feel like everyone should respect THEIR ights...nope, it is actually the control over a light BULB that gets us worked up and excited, and teh ability to provide the power to TURN THEM ON OR OFF at will...now we probably gonna get NYM started again...