Foam problem

Erk469

Seaman Apprentice
i just started rewiring my boat when I noticed some of the wires were cover with foam along side of the boat from the throttle back...some wires are in the foam and some wires are underneath the foam...if i take out this foam..How I'm I going to replace it?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Foam problem

You can replace it with 2 part pour foam or use the cans of "great stuff" expanding foam from the hardware store. It's up to you to determine if you really want to replace the foam or not.

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure how convenient this would be for your situation. You might consider getting a PVC pipe and use it as conduit for your wiring needs. Then embed that pipe in the expanding foam mentioned earlier. This way you can easily route the wiring along the side of the boat.

Erk469

Seaman Apprentice

I thought about using great stuff but wouldn't that effect my floation or would it be to high to even worry about it?

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't care about you wire being protected by PVC, your wire is already making a path through the foam so use it. Disconnect one of your easier to replace wires (obviously not a transducer cable or something like that) and give it a tug to see if it will break free from the foams grip. If so, tie on a strong twine/string to the wire. After that, pull the wire out and the twine will follow the same path. Now you have a pull string. You could even add another string to you new set of wires, so you have a future pull string. Another wire instead of string or twine would be a better choice because it's smooth. String can cut into existing wires if you are not careful.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Got a dollar store near you? Go look at Swimming Noodles and they have a neat hole right down the middle. They are closed cell flotation and many people have used them under the rails :)

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got a dollar store near you? Go look at Swimming Noodles and they have a neat hole right down the middle. They are closed cell flotation and many people have used them under the rails :)

Sweet... I really like that idea. Then just use expanding foam to lock the noodle in place right Bob?

Blue1983boat

Cadet

I would recommend using 2 part pour in foam. I just bought some from US composites. I haven't used it yet, but when I do I'll let you know how it goes. They sell different ratings of foam based on whether it's just for floatation or if it's also for structure support. I would run the wiring through PVC it would be an easy option and would last a long time.

Bondo

Staff member

I thought about using great stuff but wouldn't that effect my floation or would it be to high to even worry about it?

??? What,..??

Erk469

Seaman Apprentice

??? What,..??

The wires are underneath the rail and I can't put 2 part foam in there unless I turn the boat upside down... it's at the highest point on the boat where you would rest you arm or sit on the side of the boat..all those ideas are great ideas and its not enclosed but it is out sight..so nobody would see, only if they got on the floor and looked up.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2# density foam is what you are shooting for. As for using 2 part pour foam, yeah, I dont know how you would apply that under the gunnel without flipping the boat upside down.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could hang some thin strips of plywood, thick cardboard or some other type material from wire flush with the bottom of your gunwale. Leave just enough gap or holes to spray in foam. I guess in this case you would have to be using the spray in type foam. After it hardens, pull off the material.