Foam in battery compartment?

phiednate

Cadet
I recently built a storage box and bench seat for a my little runabout. I decided to make a compartment for my batteries but it is a bit too big. I was thinking I could put some sort of foam in there so that the batteries don't move around. Is this safe with the batteries and cables?

IMAG0068.jpg

Decker83

Commander
Re: Foam in battery compartment?

Welcome to i-boats.
I am no expert but I think you would NOT use poor in foam. It will stick to the batteries and make it very hard to remove them.
You might could use some of the pink or blue foam board sold at HD or Lowes.
You can find straps or hold downs that are made to hold down the batteries. I think that would be better for you.

phiednate

Cadet

I was thinking about the tie downs but the plywood is only 1/2 inch. My concern is that the wood is too thin for me to put in a screw that won't rip out when the batteries are jostled. Maybe I will give it a try anyhow.

fishrdan

Admiral

I would secure each battery with a hold down tray.

If there isn't room for the trays, I would strap each battery so they don't move around. It sounds like you have a 1/2" bottom in that compartment, so I would cut slots in the bottom to run the straps through,,, and around each battery. Then you don't have to worry about screws pulling out of the wood. Several heavy duty ratchet straps would work well.