Florida get together May 15,16,17

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Florida get together May 15,16,17

Guy's and Gal's keep trying, my pm box is getting a lot of use. i am trying to keep up with it.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yee Ha,

I am really looking forward to this. After reading the post about troubleshooting a boat, I was wondering.

If I trailer mine up there, bring the tools and materials, how long would it take to get my restoration project finished and my boat on the water.

What are the campsite numbers diagramed on the photo ?

Please let me know which tool box i need to bring, or just everything.

tashasdaddy

mapofcampground001.jpg

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

We're in too!!Just got momma (Barb) to agree to breaking out the camping gear and coming along. We got site 22, and mapquest says we are 1hr 20 mins. away.
Gotta break out the cots, these ol bones don't do very well in those sleeping bags. Florida in May has some really good weather. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Wish I could bring the Triumph!, Wait, this is the boating forum!
My saltwater fishin boat is looking forward to a splash in some of that cool, clean lakewater. Seems very refreshing.
And I hope sloopy does come and meet up with all us newer folks. Honest, we don't bite!! :D
Also, let's go for the Saturday cookout. Are specks available that time of the year? Can't remember when I had a platefull of specks or bass....some hushpuppies, steak fries.....man oh man I'm hungry right now!!
Guess we gotta put away the grouper gear, and break out some of the lighter stuff. Hey, cribber, I may need to PM ya for a tip on some gear and bait! ;)

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

keep'em coming coming. We have site #14 and #15. My group might grow.
My party is out for a great relaxing time. Good food-n-B.S on Sat. Would like to see a bunch of y'all out for that weekend. Feel free to bring the whole family.

tashasdaddy

Pavillion is reserved, i am going down Feb 21, for the night. to check everything out, fish Sat and Sunday. will give full report, and pictures the 23rd.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Sign us up!!! Sounds like a great time. Thanks to all the organizers TD and CO! Cant wait to meet everyone. For those staying in hotels which ones are you staying in so we can book a room with other I boaters in the same hotel.
Thanks I cant wait!!

tashasdaddy

Got a Group Rate at the Sleep Inn http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-leesburg-florida-FL215?promo=gglocal it is a Choice Hotels International. if we book 5 rooms, it will be 53.99 + tax, if more than 5 rooms, 49.95 plus tax. the discount word is "iboats.com" call the Hotel direct.

Sleep Inn (FL215)
2476 N. Citrus Blvd. , Leesburg, FL, US, 34748 | Phone: (352) 326-9002 Fax: (352) 326-8668

tashasdaddy

Fishing Gear, i'm bring the pontoon, with trolling motor.. fiberglass cane poles, and some zebco's 33's. beatles spins will catch specks(crapy), bream, and bass. minnow, specks, bass, sometimes bream, and catfish.. i love fishing crickets for big bream, cleaner than worms. if a true bass hunter local shinners are good for bass. then we have the assortment of everyones favorite lures.

Bait and Tackle store, just 1 1/3 miles south of park on US 441 on left.
http://www.cainpolesouth.com/

will give you more, the 23rd.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Good morning...If anyone has access to the February issue of Florida Sportsman magazine there is a really good article on fishing the Harris chain of lakes. Lake Griffin is one of those and is mentioned in the article. Very timely! :)

Also, thanks TD for your continuing input and information into this excursion...we all appreciate your help and dedication! Great Job!!

tashasdaddy

so everyone knows i have ask Bard1, MikeandRonda,Cribber,CheapboatKev, and myself, to be the Steering Committee, for this adventure. the reason for this. this is the members get together, not mine, or iboats. we all have a mutual item, in iboats. they committee members all have shown a special interest. as the time will draw near, the coordination, will get bigger than i can handle alone. this give me a team of people, we can count on. to pull this off. 5 brains are better than 1.

there are several, that are mentioning this to be the 1st of an annual gathering.

tashasdaddy

i visited Lake Griffin State Park today, Sylvia wanted to go to MT Dora antiquing (renningers). the park is serene, huge oaks, with moss. the camp sites are adequate, camp showers and rest rooms clean, good condition. there is another near the pavilion and boat ramp,dock. the Sleep Inn is nice, as we checked it out also.

boat ramp, plenty long almost to the end if the right side dock, with 250 feet of docking.
lakegriffin001.jpg

the creek leading to the lake, looks fishy to me.
lakegriffin002.jpg

area adjacent to lagoon, pavilion in top of hill
lakegriffin003.jpg

boat trailer and extra vehicle parking.
lakegriffin010.jpg

pavilion
lakegriffin004.jpg

play ground adjacent to pavilion.
lakegriffin005.jpg

tashasdaddy

pavilion.
lakegriffin008.jpg

rest room adjacent to pavilion, play ground, and docks.
lakegriffin009.jpg

grills at pavilion.
lakegriffin007.jpg

the Sleep Inn, less than 5 minutes from the Park.
lakegriffin011.jpg

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Great job, TD. Seems like you were a week early! We were going to try and get there next week just to check things out. With all your great pics, looks like we can save us a trip.

If anyone is thinking of going out and buying fishing gear just for this event, DON'T. I have a huge supply of light saltwater and freshwater gear that I can bring for anyone to use. From kiddy rods to some nicer ones. Just a PM or heads up if interested.

90 days and counting!

tashasdaddy

yes, there was a major change of plans. my fishing buddy cancelled, and Syl, wanted to go to Renningers in Mt Dora, 20 miles from the park. so i did the for Valentines.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the invite.......

Would love to go, however, we won't be in Florida at that time.....
Retiring next February......

I do have a cousin who has lived in Fruitland park for years......got to visit him on our trip down to Florida in December.....hadn't seen him in years...

This is something I'd definately love to when we move down next year!!

thanks again.

Rick

januarysails

Seaman Apprentice

TD sounds great. The kids would love it HOWEVER we had a local police officer shot and are attending a fundraiser for him and his family.

Keep us on the list for next time

Kev

btw Jags are in better spot than bucs so dont complain!

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

keep'em coming coming. We have site #14 and #15. My group might grow.
My party is out for a great relaxing time. Good food-n-B.S on Sat. Would like to see a bunch of y'all out for that weekend. Feel free to bring the whole family.

Do we have a hp. limited(30, or under?)

tashasdaddy

no horsepower limit. no age limit. pets welcome, must be leashed, and pooper scouper. those that live close, or in the hotel, and want to leave their boats overnite, i have cleared this with the park, so no problem.

nlain

Commander

In another thread Cribber posted: "Harris Chain of Lakes in Lake County Florida, Harris, Eustis, Dora, Griffin. Just ensure you have a depth finder since these are lowland lakes with an average shore depth around 4 feet. Middle of the lakes you'll be in 10 - 15 feet of water. TS Fay brought the levels back up so most ramps are open again."

How many underwater obstacles in the lakes, things like tree stumps, high spots in the bottom like sand bars, around the edges, in the middle?

I run in water that changes from 10 feet to knee deep which means I plan my trips at home around low tide, can't get back home at low tide. The water depth does not bother me I'm just curious as to the dangers and where to be watching real close.