Floor Rapair and patching

tominello

Cadet
I have 1988 bayliner -not looking to restore, I just want a few more years out of her. <br /><br />The wood floor has a rotted section in it and has popped lose in a seam near the opening to the hull. I bought a book on replacing the floor, but it seems there must be an easier way. <br /><br />Can I cut out the rotted section of the wood floor, replace it with marine plywood and cover the entire wood floor with something other than fiberglass. I plan to re-carpet the floor, but that is not a must. <br /><br />I also have two other problems:<br />- I would like to patch a few areas inside in the back of the boat where the fiberglass coating has chipped away and exposed some wood.<br /> <br />I also need to reconnect the two wood (mostly covered with fiberglass) brackets that support part of the floor where the openiong to the hull is. Is there a fiberglass/other kit for this type of job? <br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated - I got a $1,000 quote for the repairs, but not sure the boat is worth that.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Floor Rapair and patching

Do a search with the icon at top on "floor rot" or "floor replacement". You'll soon realize that the rot is probably worse than you think and involving the stringers and possibly transom. How long do you want it to last. If more than a couple of years, do it right. It may already be at the 'danger' stage. Good luck.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

tominello, It is hard to tell the extent of the damage from your description. In general, you may repair the floor using marine plywood. I actually use pressure treated plywood, just make sure it is good and dry. You need to cut out the bad section, back to good plywood, and find something to screw the new floor into. Usually a stringer is used to "span" the joint like when building the subfloor of a house. If the boat can be made dry, you can use polyester resin and cloth. If there are some questionable spots in the repair area, you should use epoxy resin and cloth. I recommend that you put at least two layers of cloth over the new floor and saturate them well(with resin). Also, if the floatation foam is wet, dig it out and get some two-part foam to replace it.<br /><br />Chips in the fiberglass are easier. If it is minor and dry, use marine polyester putty. If it is damp or severe, use marine-tex, or Gluvit, and then marine-tex. The gluvit will stick to damp surfaces.<br />As for the repair of the brackets, I can not say I understand the problem.

tominello

Cadet

Thanks Chris1956 - the boat is extremely dry. It has been garaged all winter. A few weeks back I ripped out the rotted section of plywood and the foam was wet, but has sence dried. <br /><br />Are you saying that I can simply put two layers of cloth down and cover with polyester resin - I do not have to mix it with anythings else? I can do that. <br /><br />Thanks again

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tominello, I recommend you double check the foam. It almost never dries out. Also make sure the new plywood you use is dry. When I buy pressure treated (plywood or solid lumber) it is usually wet. Let it dry in the sun for a couple of days. <br />If you want a better job, saturate some cloth with resin, lay it over the foam and stringers, brush resin on the underside of the plywood floor, lay it over the glass on the foam and use stainless screws to attach the plywood to the stringers. Now marine putty the joint between the new floor and the sides and rear of the boat hull to make it smooth, two layers of saturated glass over the plywood, and you're done.

tominello

Cadet

Forgive my ignorance - but when you say resin, you mean resin mixed with hardner - not just straight resin right?<br /><br />If I was to do it this way and then re-fiberglass the entire floor 3x9 how much material would I need (cloth + resin + hardner) ?<br /><br />Tanks for all of the help

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tominello, When I say resin, I mean catalyzed resin (the hardener has been added)<br />I think you will need 110 square feet of cloth (minimum) to cover the 9x3 repaired floor with two layers, and 1 foot around to tie it to the existing floor or hull sides. I would plan on two gallons of resin, although I do not think it will require this much. I would use enough resin to fill the weave of the cloth and then a couple of more coats for wear resistance and strength. Buy enough hardener to catalyze the entire two gallons, but only mix what you need. You'll need the left over for some other repair, believe me!

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

I thought resin didn't adhere as well to pressure treated lumber? :confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Quantumleap, I have heard that, but do not know if it is a rumor or fact. I have had good luck with PT lumber, and marine plywood is hard to find here. Also, PT wood takes paint and stain well.