Floor Question - is it enough?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
I put in my new floor.... 15/32" thick A-C exterior ply.

Faired the edges with poly and micro-ballon peanut butter.

I coated it with polyester resin (bottom before installation top after glued and screwed).

I laid 3/4 oz mat over entire floor (extending 3-6" onto hull). Coated it with polyester resin.

I tabbed in the entire floor with 24 oz woven roven (approx 7" wide).

I laid 10 oz cloth over entire floor...extending 4-6" onto hull. Coated entire floor with polyester resin.

**can see pictures here: http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,306,00.html

My question....is this enough...can I now gelcoat the floor (2-3 coats) or should I ad another layer of mat and cloth?

-JMW

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor Question - is it enough?

JMW, it looks like you did a good job. You might like to add another layer of glass for the abrasion resistance it will provide. A couple of layers of resin are also inorder. Again, a good job!

Robj

Lieutenant

I think it is enough, probably even overkill. I only put a layer of 1 oz matt on top of my floor. I used 1810 and matt to tab it in. Would not put on any more if I were you. Just finish it with the gelcoat and enjoy.

Have a great day,

Rob.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I know that I am just being overly concerned....I just don't want to start spraying gelcoat and have everybody say "what do you mean you only laid ONE layer of mat adn ONE layer of cloth!!! Are you friggin nuts!?!?!"

I am at the point that I can see the finish line...I REALLY don't want to have to undo something and re-do several steps!!!

Thanks for the info. I will finish the bilge area..and hopefully get a couple coats of gelcoat down this week.

-JMW

Robj

Lieutenant

It is easy to get caught up in over-analysis-paralysis, I am speaking from experience. I think the most important part is the tabbing and it sounds like you did lots there. The matt or cloth on top of the wood is mostly for water proofing the floor. Why spend more time and $$$ when you do not need to. Also it just adds more weight. The gel will seal it and you are good to go.

Have a great day,

Rob.