Floor issue 21' boat

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at a 21' boat with a soft spot on floor about 24" square 3' in front of the transom on the port side. Boat has a pod and motor that when moved up and down shows no movement in the transom and pod which appear to be rock solid. There was a seat above the soft spot that has been moved that water got into. What are the odds a guy can get away with just some floor replacement? And not a total stringer, transom, floor job? Floor covering needs changing any ways just hoping not a total reno. Love the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looking at a 21' boat with a soft spot on floor.........What are the odds a guy can get away with just some floor replacement? And not a total stringer, transom, floor job?
you would be the only one ever...... you figure the odds. I will put money on a full restoration

Scott06

Admiral
Looking at a 21' boat with a soft spot on floor about 24" square 3' in front of the transom on the port side. Boat has a pod and motor that when moved up and down shows no movement in the transom and pod which appear to be rock solid. There was a seat above the soft spot that has been moved that water got into. What are the odds a guy can get away with just some floor replacement? And not a total stringer, transom, floor job? Floor covering needs changing any ways just hoping not a total reno. Love the boat.
Given the obvious rot would want the guy to drill into stringers and transom. The water that rotted the floor had to go down somewhere...
Like rust on an old car what you see is likely the tip of the iceberg.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
start chopping and see where it takes you ,(y) that's what i do.
no point speculating how far the rot has made its way though the hull.

when you get a solid idea of where you need extensive works done and where you can successfully do a few minor reconstruction repairs then go ahead and start the task of buying materials and tools to do a proper job on your boat.

some pics always help people from forums give you a better idea where you need to go with works.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
start chopping and see where it takes you ,(y) that's what i do.
no point speculating how far the rot has made its way though the hull.

when you get a solid idea of where you need extensive works done and where you can successfully do a few minor reconstruction repairs then go ahead and start the task of buying materials and tools to do a proper job on your boat.

some pics always help people from forums give you a better idea where you need to go with works.
He hasn't bought the boat yet.....

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would have to love the boat a WHOLE LOT before I would buy one thats showing rot before you even start digging!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can you see/ touch the wood in the transom and stringers or is it encased in fiberglass ? If the wood is accessable, a small blade pocket knife will let you know real quick how solid the wood is.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the answers. The boat is a 7 hour drive away. Good price. Been there done that with four previous similar rebuilds and looking at this one. From experience pretty much know soft leads to rot somewhere. So I'd have to drive down their to have a look and check it out. I am a little encouraged the shaking the motor up and down reveals no movement in the transom or Pod. Got to decide pretty quick.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the answers. The boat is a 7 hour drive away. Good price. Been there done that with four previous similar rebuilds and looking at this one. From experience pretty much know soft leads to rot somewhere. So I'd have to drive down their to have a look and check it out. I am a little encouraged the shaking the motor up and down reveals no movement in the transom or Pod. Got to decide pretty quick.
Well it sounds like you know what you are getting into, so good luck, maybe you will get lucky!

Scott06

Admiral
If you have been there and done that before go for it. The concern of most posters here, not knowing your experience level, is that you know what this entails.
Hopefully it is not too bad. Will be interested to see how much rot is there

Reactions: KJM

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you have been there and done that before go for it. The concern of most posters here, not knowing your experience level, is that you know what this entails.
Hopefully it is not too bad. Will be interested to see how much rot is there
Yes, let us know how it turned out, inquiring minds need to know!

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
I was trying to talk myself into a rebuild not necessary. A little floor patch and done..

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have those conversations with myself all the time, I'm usually wrong. Maybe someday I'll learn to stop listening to myself!