Flood people are they welcome to your town?

one more cast

Captain
Re: Flood people are they welcome to your town?

I heard this morning that the NY state fairgrounds may be taking in some of the evacuees.

Homerr

Commander

Brother Chris...<br /><br />Appreciate the comment, but if you look at states (and countries) that have concealed carry vs. the ones that don't... compare the crime rate :) ... 'Nuff said.<br /><br />(Not trying to change the subject of the thread.. concealed-carry permit arguments are extensive on this forum :eek: )<br /><br />As for on-topic...<br /><br />I personally don't think they'd be very welcome in my town. Our state continues to get over-run with illegals and Californian's (not trying to bash our Cali neighbors :) ). As a result, our economy is strained.<br />I doubt very much the Katrina refugees would be greeted with open arms (at least the crime-minded ones)<br /><br />H.

LadyFish

Admiral

The State of Texas will take in over 250,000. Locally, we've taken in several thousand at schools, churches and homes. Additionally, FEMA has leased 2 cruise ships that will be moored in our harbour to house another 5,000.<br /><br />I'm a little concerned that we are in peak hurricane season and it already takes over 72 hours to evacuate the island. With additional people that have no transportation, it'll be a problem when it comes time to evac. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be ordered to evacuate if a storm is head our way, even a cat 2 or 3 after what happened in New Orleans. The local government will try to cover their butt.<br /><br />My question is, after all is said and done and people are able to return home, will transportation services be available for them then? I realize many will find jobs and relocate, but many won't. We live in a community with a 38% indigent level as it is with very few jobs available. <br /><br />We have a healthy amount of community service resources available but they will be depleted quickly with a population of only 60,000.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I sure didn't expect this kind of attitude from our cousins in the north. <br /><br />We have 50 "flood people" living in our church right now. These are all elderly people and families who relied on public transportation. Several infants including one eight weeks old.<br /><br />Don't forget, they were residents of the City of New Orleans...if your city was providing storm shelter, you would have every right to expect to be sheltered, just as you expect city water and garbage service. So they had every right to expect to be sheltered.<br /><br />My daughter (13) spent some time playing with a few of the younger children. One little girl (8) talked about seeing things in the Superdome that would make a grown man cry. Families were split up (we've managed to reunite several who fortunately ended up in this region).<br /><br />But don't worry, if disaster strikes Wisconsin, we'll still be there for ya anyway, in spite of your hateful attitudes.

Ralph 123

Captain

God bless Texas for all they have done. There is no excuse for every State not to help out. None!

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oops, I neglected to say that the looters I caught at Homo Depot were whiteys. <br /><br />We have many oppurtunities here in the Badger state. Unemployement is very low as the work ethic is very strong. Couple of weeks ago a major building contractor told me he has trouble filling 70 positions. <br /><br />During the Cuban exodus in 1980 Wisconsin took in 30,000 refugees. Many were later placed w/host families until the hostee'e started killing and robbing the hosts.<br /><br />We also took in thousands of Hmong which are proving to be a social service nightmare.<br /><br />We're working on concealed carry and we don't have the death penalty.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

jtexas, just reporting what I perceive as the local attitude.<br />The southern 2/3 of the state would certainly welcome them, as would many INDIVIDUALS here where I am. In fact, Wisconsonites have already started taking in Katrina evacuees.<br /><br />But the town... they are raising funds, but doubt they wil do much more. Many here live in a news free zone as well. On Friday at work, 2 women I was working with were completely unaware that there was a hurricane.<br /><br />What wildbill says, we have taken in over 40,000 Hmong in recent years, and they have been less than appreciative. Their actions have soured many peoples opinions. They have brought gangs, drugs, gun crimes, poaching, and high theft rates to small rural towns of 200 - 1000 people.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

And last deer season a Hmong named Vang murdered six North West Wisconsin hunters, oh yea, he allegedly did. Some shot in back btw. Trial starts this week.<br /><br />On subject........I understand that Milwaukee's State fair grounds will be welcoming 5000 or so NO refuges. Hope it works out well for all.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> LD,<br /><br />Hardworking, civic minded citizens are always welcome in our town! ;) <br /><br />All others just continue north another 35 miles. Madison was made for you!!!
Pointer --- thats HILARIOUS!!!!!

LubeDude

Admiral

I would be happy to offer help to anyone that truely desires "HELP" and not a handout for the durration. Truth is that Oregon has very few jobs available, fortunatly its only 1,000 and not 100,000. No way in H*ll Oregon could hope to handle an influx like that. Oregon already has too many Mexicans to deal with and they have drained the Oregon health and welfare system to the bottom. Time will tell if all of these people will take jobs if they are offered. I say that there will be the few that wouldnt work if they had to and will resort to crime.

TilliamWe

Banned

news is reporting that up to 600 people are coming tomorrow. Was supposed to be today, but it'll be tomorrow. The city sounds like they have it all under control. Wife is gonna drop off some clothes & toys tomorrow AM.

txswinner

Banned

Read the Texas Aggie thread and we also have two other shelters. My wife spent 16 hours at the special needs shelter at our church. Hope this aid and assistance gives these folks hope for a new future.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

As our esteemed leaders mother said "everyone wants to go to Texas" I say, OK.

ehenry

Commander

I've got two families staying in a rental house of mine that had just become vacant. They've been staying at my church but the church had gotten over crowded. WE scrapped some furniture together and a fridge for them. They will have to go to a laundry mat to do what clothes they have. But they can stay rent free until they get a better idea of what the future hold for them. My dad is going to pay the utility bill for them for another month or so.<br /><br />They are two young couples that knew one another from the Pass Christian, MS. The each have a toddling child. My brother in law is going to let the two husbands come work for his road construction business so they will have some type of income coming in.

txswinner

Banned

Hats off to you EF, it is time for such patriotism as yours.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I think a reservation some where in north dakota might work out. It worked in the 1800's with the Indians. Why put every town in America in the refugee bussiness. set up a reservation with rail sideings, special schools and programs and housing all in one location, call it Katrinaville or NNew Orlenes. with a railline back to Oldnew Orleans. after its rebuilt. Why sever family and comunity all over the place. Let WalMart build a store in the reservation, shop owners too, Home depot,and lowes can open shop too. jobs aplenty, some [prefab home builders can set up shop with all that labor, and a rail road to shiptit back on. please dont put race into this idea. all refugees are welcome reqardless of race color,religion or sexual bias.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The town I live in, here on the San Francisco *****ula, has a population of only 5800 people. In out town, there are only single family dewllings, some with in-law quarters or a guest house. There is no provision in our town ordanace's that allow mulitple family dwelling's, ie. no apartment building's, not even a duplex. <br /><br />San Francisco, San Jose and Los Angeles have many places that can and do accept displaced people. These major cities ARE accepting the victims of Katrina for placement in suitable housing, etc.<br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Many Kudos to you, E.F... And to your Brother-inlaw for putting those guys to work.. <br /><br />Getting back to work hopefully will help give them guys at least some sense of getting back to "normal"...<br /> :)

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is "Peninsula" a bad word?????? That's what this area is called......... Why the *****ula????<br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

The link that seems to be the most accepted is open your house.com.<br /><br />Go to www.openyourhouse.com if you can spare a room or two for a displaced family. The forms are there.