floating bayliners shout out their boats

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Just bought my first bayliner1987 capri with force 85hp. Thought i would never own one as there always in junk yards if you google pics lol. Paid 800 and 400 in parts and its ready for water to my best conclusion. The force is easier to work on than Johnson and its a little harder to find parts but i found them cheap after looking around internet.

What your bayliner story and thoughts and pictures please,thanks james

Attachments

• photo240730.jpg
    photo240730.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
2003 Bayliner 185BR with the sport seating. 4.3L Mercruiser with Alpha one Gen two. We are the third owner of this very well kept bow rider. No complaints at all. Runs great, looks great. Even the upholstery is like new. Good luck and hope you have the same results.

wilkboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Father in law bought it new in '88(1950 Capri), sat for years in a hay barn, we started using it a few years ago. The first time out, the outdrive locked up. The OMC Cobra had been winterized wrong by a boat shop(changed the oil and filled it from the top). We had to be towed in by rental pontoon being driven by a 70 year old lady.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ive had three. I grew up in the PNW and they were everywhere. After i boght my first one and love iti then started getting on the internet and found out they were junk...... so i bought two more over the years. And yes the force is an easy to work on motor.

Maclin

Admiral
Pretty neat find there jj ! What I have seen with that era of Bayliners is that Outboards seem to have a better chance of not being totally rotten, not sure why. With the Force, reliable and simple engines in their day, and this board has a couple or more of THE best resources to keep those going. I love the look of the Chryslers and later US Marine/Force cowls.

Not a Bayliner story, but I found my 1980 Glastron a couple of years ago in really great solid condition for any age of boat and especially one that is now 35 years old. Transom and floor is solid, much better than I had hoped to find when I went to to look at it. Engine runs good, tilt/trim drains down but that is it as far as anything i have to work around. .Had to go 320 miles one way, so the deals are out there.

Good luck in the coming seasons!

Maclin

Admiral
Oh yeah, got the Glastron for $1650, no other major money spent yet, just battery and convertible top :)

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Nice boats people, to get mine running i had to fix a overheat problem.

Heres the story,,, while underway the impeller went out and hot horn sounded so they stopped not knowing what noise meant and unplugged the horn total greenhorns right? So on they went and as the mtr overheated again the block got so hot it melted.the stator wires to cd and grounded engine and fried stator shutting down engine just in time to not seize pistons.

To fix it i started with new headgasket,then found used stator for $100, made shure wires werent touching block lol, new starter for $55, changed 20amp fuse,bypassing neutral safety switch for now and put new plugs and. It runs again,will test on lake this days off if not windy
s

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Never mind the force went bad, one piston ring gave me problems, so I took it off and sold it for 300, and bought a 1970 johnson 60 hp and it fits well, the two lower bolts were lined up perfectly,drilled out the upper ones and made my own sterring cable holder and im much happier with this johnson.