Flipping over a 20' Hull

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I need to flip the hull over at some point on my 20' SeaCraft. It would be MUCH easier to deal with what I have to deal with under there if it was flipped. I have an idea but not sure if its a good one. What I was thinking was to make a huge wheel out of plywood and 2x4s that is slightly larger than the widest part of the boat and bolt it to the transom. Then, using my engine crane, lift the front by the bow eye and roll the boat over onto a stand. Is the boat strong enough for that? When it comes time to do that it will have a new transom, stringers, and floor but no center console, fuel tank or rigging of any kind. Just wood and glass. Thoughts? Better ideas? I've seen boat pics on here upside down so howd ya do it!? I dont have any friends with cool toys like an excavator or the like.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flipping over a 20' Hull

I'd recommend building two "Gantry's" and then build a bolt on harness for the transom with a large eye bolt to do the flip with it and the bow eye. 30- 2x4's ($75 bucks) and 2 Come-Alongs ($25 bucks) and you're set. (Please excuse the bad drawing)

FantryFlip.jpg

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the drawing! Thats an idea too. So apparently your saying that the boat is strong enough to be supported by those two points. I had thought of something like that too but wasnt sure what way was easiest. What do you think of the boat wheel method?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It would work to but I think it would be harder to build and to do. Your boat's gunna weigh about 1,000 lbs once the stringer, deck and transom is all put back in.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I have to admit the boat wheel sounds kinda kool .. The problem I see is it would have to be really big . Bigger than the widest circumference part of the boat and positioned in a way so all parts would not hit the ground . The gantry system still seems your best option ...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

If you have one engine hoist, rent a second. tie the legs of the two together with a few angle irons and some c-clamps. this way they wont tip in on each other. hoist up, rotate, set down.

its a variation of WOG's sketch.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

A few friends invited over for some food and beverages, build some temporary internal bracing, some old tires/blankets/etc, and just roll it over...:noidea:...

You could add some 2X4's extending out to use as leverage...you can also attach some ropes to the end of the 2x4 to help control the roll from both sides...

My hull weighed about 400 pounds, and the first flip, I did by myself since I wasn't worried about scratches, etc...

After refinishing, I laid some old tires and blankets down on the ground, invited over some friends for a BBQ and Beer, and in about 10 minutes, had the boat flipped back over, on the trailer and we were ready for the cold ones and munchies...

Click the pic below for a quick video...

Sorry I didn't get any pics or vids of the actual flips, but I can tell you that the only part that was a little intimidating, was when the hull is sitting up on the edge of the gunwale...:eek:

Let us know how you did it and how it went...
Good Luck:D

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think y'all are right. The wheel is cool but probably more work. My first arguement against the crane was the center of gravity making it hard to flip but if I grab it low on the transom that shouldn't be a big deal. I can borrow another engine crane and make it that much easier. Maybe ill wait till I get my transom bracket in so I can use the holes ill make for that so I don't put extra holes in my fresh transom.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh and GT...that's kinda how I flipped the cap for my bass boat and it worked great. Your right tho. When its completely vertical is the oh boy moment. Lol. This think this hull weighing 5 times what that did I can only imagine how scary itd be. I'd need bigger friends!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know,..............

I kind of want to see the pictures and video of the "big wheel",................................:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is this an I/O or an Outboard rig? Either way, if it's an I/O you've got the keyhole to use to build a jig to clamp to the hull for the flip. if its an outboard you've got holes for the tow eyes and the motor mounts that can be use to bolt on a plank with an eyebolt. Check this out...Start @ Post #698
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...r/hull-extension-progress-pics-234392-28.html
Gantry's or Cherry Pickers your choice. if you can borrow a cherry picker and save some money...Go For it.