Fixing up my childhood boat...

Andrew.hobbs

Cadet
I've been lurking for about a month now on this site. Let me just say the amount of knowledge contained here is just amazing!! It?s given me the confidence to fix up the boat (that my parents still own) my sister and I spent our childhood on fishing and skiing!! Its a 1981 Thundercraft 160ss with a 80hp Mercury outboard. I hope to start posting some pictures of the progress?Thanks again for all the info!!

268855_1704755433812_1685810707_1175189_8193028_n.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fixing up my childhood boat...

Sharp looking tri-hull you've got there.
Welcome to Iboats.:)

Andrew.hobbs

Cadet

Thanks Ciera..So i've been working hard, i'll have some pics to post after i get them off my phone. But for now I have a question. I've ground out the center stringer and installed a new one. I bed it in PL. My question is how long does the PL need to cure before I can start glassing it in? Its been very hot here in Ky and yesterday (when i did it) the heat index was 105. Does that even matter? The tubes say 24hours minimum. How long should i wait? Thanks for the help, I'm sure i'll have a bunch more questions as i go along.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

PL takes 72 Hours to cure when appllied THICK!!! Regardless of temp!;)

Andrew.hobbs

Cadet

Thanks a ton!! That gives me the info i need to plan my next day to work on it.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ditto on what woodonglass said, that stuff takes AT LEAST 3-4 days to cure.
When I rebuilt my trihull I used PL to bed the stringers also, I let them cure for a week with a "jig" holding everything in proper place and tons of weight holding things down. After a week, those striingers didn't move at all. PL is rock solid stuff!
A tip for you, perhaps a bit late, but using an old spoon to smooth out the excess Pl will make you a decent filet to lay your glass over.

Andrew.hobbs

Cadet

Thanks to all of you guys on here, i've been reading so much i followed that advice ciera. I used some plastic spoons and I made a form to hold the stringer in place while it cures. It pays to do some research on here!

Andrew.hobbs

Cadet

Here are a few pictures i've taken so far....Many more to come..

Here is the boat after i took off 3 layers of tarps, its been in outdoor storage for 8 years.
IMG_1355 (Large).jpg
The interior after sitting for 8 years.
IMG_1356 (Large).jpg
After removing the rotten floor and carpet I used my grinder to cut out the rest of it.
IMG_1418 (Large).JPG

The 80 HP Mercury Thunderbolt, it needs little work but seems like it will be just fine.
IMG_1357 (Large).JPG
The logo on the side, 1981 ThunderCraft 160ss
IMG_1367 (Large).jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

These may help you as you move forward...

(Click the Pics to Enlarge)

Stringers................................Decks.............................Transoms

StringerLayupAndInstallation.JPG-------------Decks.jpg------------TransomBuild.jpg

Filleting

Filleting Material is Thickened Resin or better known as "Peanut Butter" You make this by adding Cabosil to Polyester Resin and 1/4" Chopped Glass Fibers until it is the consistency of Thick Mayonaise or Creamy Peanut Butter. Use a Large Plastic Spoon to form a coved joint for the glass to lay smoothly in th corners along the edges.

Filleting.jpg