Fixing Up Boat Help

skuhleman

Seaman
Yeah once I realized some of the wires weren't connected to anything the first thing I did was try to find the manuals online for the engine and outdrive with no luck. That's why I was hoping someone here would be able to help but from what I've seen it sounds like pretty much every boat is different.

A pontoon is really my first choice. A few years back I went fishing with a friend on one and did some trolling and that's really what got me the boat fever.
Yea you might be better off that way, but just search online for your manuals. They are out there. Or you can buy one online somewhere as well.
I picked up a 1984 merc outboard and found the manuals for it within a day or 2

I found this online-
"The port (left) side is the limit switch and the starboard (right) side is the trim position sender.

How the trim/tilt works--Before you tear anything apart or replace wiring and switches, test it out; first by visual inspection by pulling back and forth on the wires while operating the swithes and then test with a meter. At the commander switches, the red wire will always have 12 volts. The green wire gets 12 volts when the trim toggle is held down. The blue wire gets 12 volts only when the toggle is held up or the trailer switch is pushed in. The purple wire is part of the limit switch circuit.

If the switch voltages are as they are supposed to be then go to the trim/tilt pump assy. and make sure the purple wire connector (single wire) and the blue wire connector with two blue wires on one side of the connection are not corroded or loose. These are the trim position and limit switch wires. Pull them apart and inspect; they should be clean and tight; reconnect them.

Next check the three wire connector (RED, BLUE & GREEN) at the pump assy. This plug can vibrate loose and cause your problem. Pull it off and see if the pins are clean and not corroded; reconnect it.

The RED wire in the plug sends 12 volts from the pump assy. to the toggle up/down and trailer up switches. The BLUE & GREEN wires bring 12 volts from the toggle trim/tilt and trailer switches to the two solenoids on the pump assy.

The GREEN wire goes to the DOWN solenoid while the BLUE wire goes to the UP solenoid.

Did you check the switches with an ohmmeter? The trim/tilt switch is a 2-way switch and will show continuity only when it is toggled in each direction between two of the wires.

Up toggle connects the RED wire to the BLUE wire. Down toggle connects the RED wire to the GREEN wire. The TRAILER UP switch also connects the RED wire to the BLUE wire.

The OD trim limit switch will only send voltage to the trim/tilt switch in the upward toggle position if the OD limit switch is below the adjusted trim limit that keeps the OD being out of the water.

To test the limit switch circuit, lower the OD to the down position and slowly raise it with the trim toggle up until it stops. Then measure the distance between the trim cylinder attaching bolts. If the distance is approx. 22 +/- 1/4 inches, then the trim limit switch is adjusted properly and the commander trim toggle switch is working in the up/down mode.

Go to the trim/tilt pump assy. and make sure the purple wire connector (single wire) and the blue wire connector two blue wires on one side of the connection are not corroded or loose. Pull them apart; they should be clean and tight; reconnect them.

Next check the three (RED, BLUE & GREEN) wire connector at the pump assy. The RED wire in the plug sends 12 volts from the pump assy. to the toggle up/down and trailer up switches. This plug can vibrate loose and cause your problem. Pull it off and see if the pins are clean and not corroded; reconnect it.

The BLUE & GREEN wires bring 12 volts from the switches to the two solenoids on the pump assy. The GREEN wire goes to the DOWN solenoid while the BLUE wire goes to the UP solenoid.

Disconnect the trim/tilt assy. wires from the battery and then check each of the nuts and studs on the solenoids for clean and tight fittings. Each solenoid has three wires and the buss bar connected to it. The bases of them have a black ground wire and a small blue wire to one and a small green wire to the other.

On top of each solenoid, the large BLUE wire from the pump motor attaches to a large copper stud with the solenoid that has the small blue wire at the base while the large GREEN wire from the pump motor attaches to a large copper stud with the solenoid that has the small green wire at the base.

The other copper solenoid studs are connected together with a copper buss bar. One of the two studs will also have a funny looking 110 amp fuse attached to the bar. The large RED wire from the battery connects to the 110 amp fuse. This large red wire is the power for this buss bar. A small RED wire attached to the bar stud sends 12 volts to the switches which in turn sends the 12 volts to the solenoids which turns on the pump motor.

Important: if the studs on the either solenoid are dark and not like a clean penney, especially the BLUE wired solenoid, this solenoid is failing due to age and/or a loose bottom copper stud nut. The dark color comes from heat generated inside of the solenoid by the contactor because it is arcing like welding similar to points wearing out. Change the solenoid"

NiteShadow

Cadet
Yea you might be better off that way, but just search online for your manuals. They are out there. Or you can buy one online somewhere as well.
I picked up a 1984 merc outboard and found the manuals for it within a day or 2

I found this online-
"The port (left) side is the limit switch and the starboard (right) side is the trim position sender.

How the trim/tilt works--Before you tear anything apart or replace wiring and switches, test it out; first by visual inspection by pulling back and forth on the wires while operating the swithes and then test with a meter. At the commander switches, the red wire will always have 12 volts. The green wire gets 12 volts when the trim toggle is held down. The blue wire gets 12 volts only when the toggle is held up or the trailer switch is pushed in. The purple wire is part of the limit switch circuit.

If the switch voltages are as they are supposed to be then go to the trim/tilt pump assy. and make sure the purple wire connector (single wire) and the blue wire connector with two blue wires on one side of the connection are not corroded or loose. These are the trim position and limit switch wires. Pull them apart and inspect; they should be clean and tight; reconnect them.

Next check the three wire connector (RED, BLUE & GREEN) at the pump assy. This plug can vibrate loose and cause your problem. Pull it off and see if the pins are clean and not corroded; reconnect it.

The RED wire in the plug sends 12 volts from the pump assy. to the toggle up/down and trailer up switches. The BLUE & GREEN wires bring 12 volts from the toggle trim/tilt and trailer switches to the two solenoids on the pump assy.

The GREEN wire goes to the DOWN solenoid while the BLUE wire goes to the UP solenoid.

Did you check the switches with an ohmmeter? The trim/tilt switch is a 2-way switch and will show continuity only when it is toggled in each direction between two of the wires.

Up toggle connects the RED wire to the BLUE wire. Down toggle connects the RED wire to the GREEN wire. The TRAILER UP switch also connects the RED wire to the BLUE wire.

The OD trim limit switch will only send voltage to the trim/tilt switch in the upward toggle position if the OD limit switch is below the adjusted trim limit that keeps the OD being out of the water.

To test the limit switch circuit, lower the OD to the down position and slowly raise it with the trim toggle up until it stops. Then measure the distance between the trim cylinder attaching bolts. If the distance is approx. 22 +/- 1/4 inches, then the trim limit switch is adjusted properly and the commander trim toggle switch is working in the up/down mode.

Go to the trim/tilt pump assy. and make sure the purple wire connector (single wire) and the blue wire connector two blue wires on one side of the connection are not corroded or loose. Pull them apart; they should be clean and tight; reconnect them.

Next check the three (RED, BLUE & GREEN) wire connector at the pump assy. The RED wire in the plug sends 12 volts from the pump assy. to the toggle up/down and trailer up switches. This plug can vibrate loose and cause your problem. Pull it off and see if the pins are clean and not corroded; reconnect it.

The BLUE & GREEN wires bring 12 volts from the switches to the two solenoids on the pump assy. The GREEN wire goes to the DOWN solenoid while the BLUE wire goes to the UP solenoid.

Disconnect the trim/tilt assy. wires from the battery and then check each of the nuts and studs on the solenoids for clean and tight fittings. Each solenoid has three wires and the buss bar connected to it. The bases of them have a black ground wire and a small blue wire to one and a small green wire to the other.

On top of each solenoid, the large BLUE wire from the pump motor attaches to a large copper stud with the solenoid that has the small blue wire at the base while the large GREEN wire from the pump motor attaches to a large copper stud with the solenoid that has the small green wire at the base.

The other copper solenoid studs are connected together with a copper buss bar. One of the two studs will also have a funny looking 110 amp fuse attached to the bar. The large RED wire from the battery connects to the 110 amp fuse. This large red wire is the power for this buss bar. A small RED wire attached to the bar stud sends 12 volts to the switches which in turn sends the 12 volts to the solenoids which turns on the pump motor.

Important: if the studs on the either solenoid are dark and not like a clean penney, especially the BLUE wired solenoid, this solenoid is failing due to age and/or a loose bottom copper stud nut. The dark color comes from heat generated inside of the solenoid by the contactor because it is arcing like welding similar to points wearing out. Change the solenoid"
Wow thanks Skuhleman! It looks like I have my work cut out for me!

NiteShadow

Cadet
Wow thanks Skuhleman! It looks like I have my work cut out for me!
Also is the trim switches only on the drive control or am I right to assume that the 3 position switch on the dash is also for trim? Middle being neutral and up up down down?

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also is the trim switches only on the drive control or am I right to assume that the 3 position switch on the dash is also for trim? Middle being neutral and up up down down?
That might be the Nav/Anchor Lights. Nav+Anchor Up, Anchor only Down, or vice-versa, middle Off.

skuhleman

Seaman
The trim will be on the shifter.
The switch on the dash. You said you have 3, so 1 will be bilge pump, the other the blower, and the on-off-on will be for your navigation/ anchor light.

It looks like your large power cable for the trim solenoids are hooked to the battery, so just like a starter, you can jumper the solenoid and see if the pump will do anything. One solenoid is for up, the other is for down.

NiteShadow

Cadet
The trim will be on the shifter.
The switch on the dash. You said you have 3, so 1 will be bilge pump, the other the blower, and the on-off-on will be for your navigation/ anchor light.

It looks like your large power cable for the trim solenoids are hooked to the battery, so just like a starter, you can jumper the solenoid and see if the pump will do anything. One solenoid is for up, the other is for down.
Oh that will be helpful! That should be able to tell me if the pump is shot or not.

A couple more questions. On the drive handle I have the two trim buttons on the left and then on the right there is one button. What is that button for?
Second question.
I attached two pictures they are the same as up top but this is the biggest cord issue that is driving me crazy. Does anyone know what those two wires go to? Following the wires back it looks like they come out of the outdrive and another cord comes out and goes to the trim pump the second picture shows that end. I figure if it's coming from the outdrive it's probably important but have no idea where they would go.

Attachments

• 20210115_161503.jpg
    20210115_161503.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210115_161355.jpg
    20210115_161355.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 6

skuhleman

Seaman
Oh that will be helpful! That should be able to tell me if the pump is shot or not.

A couple more questions. On the drive handle I have the two trim buttons on the left and then on the right there is one button. What is that button for?
Second question.
I attached two pictures they are the same as up top but this is the biggest cord issue that is driving me crazy. Does anyone know what those two wires go to? Following the wires back it looks like they come out of the outdrive and another cord comes out and goes to the trim pump the second picture shows that end. I figure if it's coming from the outdrive it's probably important but have no idea where they would go.
I would have to see a picture of the shifter to say. First guess is a trailer button, or maybe a choke.

As for the wires in and out. Not sure. Maybe trim limit, trim position for gauge?
I would jump the solenoids first and go from their.
If its just the wires for the trim guage I wouldn't worry about it. Never had one that was accurate or really useful.

NiteShadow

Cadet
I would have to see a picture of the shifter to say. First guess is a trailer button, or maybe a choke.

As for the wires in and out. Not sure. Maybe trim limit, trim position for gauge?
I would jump the solenoids first and go from their.
If its just the wires for the trim guage I wouldn't worry about it. Never had one that was accurate or really useful.
Sounds good. Also to just make sure I am on the same page with jumping the solonoids just like a starter you basically use a piece of metal to go from the power to the solenoid to make it arc and run right? I've done it with starters before with a screw driver.

skuhleman

Seaman
Sounds good. Also to just make sure I am on the same page with jumping the solonoids just like a starter you basically use a piece of metal to go from the power to the solenoid to make it arc and run right? I've done it with starters before with a screw driver.
The 2 large studs on the solenoid with a piece of metal. Do you have a volt meter? Cause you need one to diagnose electrical issues.

NiteShadow

Cadet
The 2 large studs on the solenoid with a piece of metal. Do you have a volt meter? Cause you need one to diagnose electrical issues.
Yep I do. Last week I verified that I was getting 12 volts to the trim pump. Just didn't know what to do from there.

Thank you so much for your help!

crofoot

Cadet
Yep I do. Last week I verified that I was getting 12 volts to the trim pump. Just didn't know what to do from there.

Thank you so much for your help!?
To be sure,have you had water supplied to the outdrive while running the engine?This is a must.

NiteShadow

Cadet
Yep everytime I run the engine I have the earmuffs on with water running to them.

I was able to get everything working. The blower works now and the trim is working. I was able to directly jump the solonoids and got the outdrive to go up so I know the trim pump worked so I started working on the drive controller to see why I wasn't getting any response there and eventually decided to follow the wiring and found about 4 feet in a a red wiring came undone from it's splice so it wasn't getting any power so reached it and was getting noise from the pump nothing happening. I noticed when I used the down trim oil would flow and I saw a spot where it was leaking and fixed that with a new Oring still was making noise and nothing happing so looked up online and people were saying it could be as simple as adding oil. I bought some oil and it was very low so topped it off and it worked.

I just got back from the lake to see how it would go. I got it started and let it idle for about a few minutes and then went to put it into drive and it died. I couldn't get it to start again after that so had to put it back on the trailer. Yesterday I put it in drive and reverse and evrthing worked fine. I got the same size of battery that it had when I got it but I think I should have gotten a bigger battery. After a couple of cranks it usually needs to be recharged or it won't start the engine. Charging the battery now I'll hook it back up when it's charged and see if it let's me start it.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
My $0.02 cents worth. Any boat, and I do mean any boat, that you will buy that is in that same price range or even triple that price range IS going to have a lot of work needed before enjoying any fishing experience in it. Unless you educate yourself about boats in general, looks are always deceiving at best. Having an engine crank and run is mere nothing when looking for a used boat to buy. Boat ROT! And so many times that rot is covered over where you don't know about it until you've purchased it. The transom, stringers, bulkheads and floor need to be looked at very closely to help find such rot.
You are certainly not the first person to buy without understanding boats. But if you are ever going to learn, now is the time. You can keep what you have and start educating yourself and work from there. That's how most of us started out. We all had amazing dreams of buying a used boat for cheap and cleaning it up, only to find rot that had to be replaced. Some did just that, while others got out of the buying used boats and moved on...
I would drill inspection holes (1/4" or so) close to the bottom of the transom from the inside close to the hull, but certainly not all the way through. If you get dry light-colored shavings out, you are good to go. However, if you get wet, or damp, dark colored shaving out, that transom is shot and absolutely needs replaced. Same with the stringer, bulkheads and flooring. If you, by some magical one-in-a-million chance do have a solid dry wood boat, plug those drilled holes with some epoxy or the like, and clean it up and let us know how the fishing was... JMHO
And I would not trust any so-called marine surveyor, unless I personally knew where he lived and it was within a 20 mile range..