Fixing bad motor mounts

Choyt5

Recruit
Gearing up to pull the motor out of my 86 wellcraft so I can replace the motor mounts. I’ve never done anything like this so I’m just looking for a little input on how to go about this project. I’ve attached a picture of one of the bad mounts. How would you guys go about fixing this?

Attachments

• 339A348A-A011-499C-8CB1-BBF55315C907.jpeg
    339A348A-A011-499C-8CB1-BBF55315C907.jpeg
    970.9 KB · Views: 16

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Judging by the leaves and such this boat sat uncovered / neglected.------I know my Wellcraft was not very well built.-----I would make sure that new mounts had something solid to attach to.-------Check all stringers and transom for rotten plywood.

Choyt5

Recruit
Judging by the leaves and such this boat sat uncovered / neglected.------I know my Wellcraft was not very well built.-----I would make sure that new mounts had something solid to attach to.-------Check all stringers and transom for rotten plywood.
The boat sat for a boat 10 years shrink wrapped. The boat used to run great but to me it looks like once the mounts failed it caused the shaft to strip out the teeth on the coupler which made the boat run but not move. Hoping I can confirm this once I pull the engine and see what all needs to be done to get it back on the water!

Attachments

• CAE4DAB0-649C-4004-BE0E-62F2DA9A5BCE.jpeg
    CAE4DAB0-649C-4004-BE0E-62F2DA9A5BCE.jpeg
    615.4 KB · Views: 4

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The brochure says -----Wellcraft---" World class boats "------I know that it is not really true !!-----Look this boat over very carefully.------There is a reason these boats find new owners after 10 years being idle.-----Many abandoned boats have been brought out / presented to eager buyers in the Covid times.

Choyt5

Recruit
The brochure says -----Wellcraft---" World class boats "------I know that it is not really true !!-----Look this boat over very carefully.------There is a reason these boats find new owners after 10 years being idle.-----Many abandoned boats have been brought out / presented to eager buyers in the Covid times.
The boat actually belonged to my fiancés Father. He gave up on it as soon as it left him stuck on the lake. The boat is actually in decent condition, defiantly worth bringing back to life!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Looks like rotted wood in your motor mounts, which means there is a high likelihood that other parts of the boat's structure may be rotted, too.

I'd be checking stringers and the transom core for rot by drilling 1/4" holes into each, low and near the hull, to see if you get dark/wet/mushy shavings (bad) or light, dry shavings (good). Drill from the inside of the boat and don't penetrate the hull when checking the transom (i.e., only drill 1 3/4" deep).

If the shavings are light colored and dry, fill the holes with 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant. If the shavings are wet or dark or mushy, you have a much bigger project on your hands than replacing the motor mounts.

Given the age of the boat and the looks of your motor mounts, it would not be surprising to find problems elsewhere. Good luck and let us know what you find.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See----Other folks are suggesting you look things over carefully !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Gearing up to pull the motor out of my 86 wellcraft so I can replace the motor mounts. I’ve never done anything like this so I’m just looking for a little input on how to go about this project. I’ve attached a picture of one of the bad mounts. How would you guys go about fixing this?

Welcome aboard.

based on the picture, you really need to read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b that are located here: https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/

read them in their entirety

The boat sat for a boat 10 years shrink wrapped. The boat used to run great but to me it looks like once the mounts failed it caused the shaft to strip out the teeth on the coupler which made the boat run but not move. Hoping I can confirm this once I pull the engine and see what all needs to be done to get it back on the water!

we can tell you that it will be a lot of work once you pull the motor. the engine mount pads are attached to the stringers which long-ago rotted. which are attached to the transom which rotted prior to the stringers.

without even looking at the boat, I suggest you plan on $3000 worth of hull restoration and about $1000 worth of motor/drive parts and if it sat festering under shrinkwrap for 10 years, you will most likely have $4-5k in upholstery .

tpenfield

Staff member
Usually the issues found are 3-5X more than what was initially anticipated.

As you tear into the structure expect a few surprises.