FISKPR, DJ, LadyFish & Sausage Bread

Link

Rear Admiral
I really thought I'd already done this post.<br />Sloppy me. Sorry. I did this for Christmas day dinner.<br /><br />Thank you LF for making the topic of what traditional dishes do you make etc and DJ for being persistent in getting you FISKPR's reciepe.<br />And FISKPR for the reciepe<br /><br />This was soooo good! and easy! <br />First I had never worked with dough or baked anything like this before.<br /><br />I made two. One for our family dinner and one for fishing partners. 5 separate families.(sp)<br /><br />First one took forever to roll out the dough! Almost a hour!<br />Second one I had figured out (By myself) to use flower on the wax paper first! And took a only a couple minutes! :eek: <br /><br />Don't use Jimmy Deans anything but agree with FISKPR that for just me and herself, hot and spicey would be the way to go. But like his wife, I took the safe route and just used reg sausage. <br /><br />Did add onions and black pepper to taste. Very mild for my taste but still very very good.<br /><br />After brushing with the egg I sprinkled Toasted Sesame Seeds on just for looks! What came out of the oven 25 minutes later was something to behold! Two perfect Golden brown round loaves of bread with the white seeds making it look like a pro cooked it! And the smell! Then the taste!<br /><br />I took one hot out of the oven over to my fishing partners place maybe a 2 minute drive away and by the time I got back they had already called Mrs.Link telling her I had to email the the reciepe! Same with our family, everyone wanted it. <br />They may not know what/or who a FISKPR is, but they know its your reciepe! <br /><br />Side note: Another way to thaw the one pound loaf is to (if your microwave has Auto Defrost)<br />Place one in it and set it for 1/2 pound or .5 and it will come out perfect. Ready to roll in about 15 minutes of sitting on the counter.<br /><br />Did I mention that this was GREAT ? ;) <br />As my MIL said, this is a full meal deal in it's self!<br /><br />For those who did not read the other post by LadyFish I'm going to include my C&P in the emails with the reciepe.. This is a must try IMHO which isn't so humble! <br /><br />IBOATERS: If I can make it, anyone can! Enjoy! <br /><br />Posted by DJ:<br />Here's FISKPR's Sausage Bread.<br /><br />Sausage Bread.<br /><br />Here is the requested sausage brunch loaf. really easy to make and when its baking the smells drive ya nuts. no matter where she has brought this there is always requests to bring it next time. In fact she has to make it for christmas eve and new years eve party up at the lake. this is one of the few things my wife can cook. usually i do all the cooking but she does make a killer lasagna too. personally i think she pretends not to know how to cook just so i do it.<br /><br />1 lb loaf frozen white bread<br />1 lb pork sausage. (i like it with jimmy deans hot, but when she makes it for other people she just uses the regular jimmy dean breakfast sausage)<br />11/2 cup Mozzarella cheese<br />1/2 tsp italian seasoning or 1/4 tsp each basil & oregano<br />two eggs<br />Defrost bread and roll into an 18 x6 rectangle. cook sausage and cool. Mix cheese, herbs and 1 egg into sausage. place in center of bread and pinch together. bend into shape of circle and pinch ends together. she uses a round cake pan and sprays it with pam first. beat second egg and brush on bread. cut slites in the bread let rise 2 hours then bake at 325 degrees about 25 minutes. <br />we have add different ingreideints for a change such as green peppers. onion, mushrooms. about the only one i really liked was the mushrooms and onions. usually just make according to the recipe.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: FISKPR, DJ, LadyFish & Sausage Bread

Originally posted by Link:<br />After brushing with the egg
I wondered all these years what was wrong and now I know, I never brushed with eggs before. :p <br /><br />J/K Link, that does sound good and I will have to print this out and try it.<br />Thanks for the recipe. :cool:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

geesh - I got hungry reading it!!<br /><br />ya'll think Jimmy Deans 'Sage' sausage would be OK? I have a load of it in the deep freeze.

LadyFish

Admiral

Your quite welcome Link. I love to share and find new recipes too. <br /><br />I use hot italian sausage in my recipe which can also be made using frozen bread dough, I just prefer to make mine from scratch. I have had it with breakfast sausage before and it's great too.<br /><br />FISKPR's recipe is a good one. :) <br /><br />BTW, I made up my recipe from one similar to FISHKPR's just added my own touch.

D

DJ

All I can say is: HMMMM, HMMMM, Good!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks LadyFish. I wasn't too sure if it would be 'right' or not to use the stuff I have already.<br /><br />I don't make my own bread so pardon the ignorance here but, what frozen bread dough are we using here as far as brand and such .. I know white but, will it matter? <br /><br />and when I read, "..cut slits on top.." are we talking entirely through the dough or just 'scoring' it?

LadyFish

Admiral

LOL Barlow. Any frozen bread will do. They usually come 3-4 in a pack.<br /><br />I don't score mine but if you do, 3 to 4 1/8" scores diagonally across the top of each loaf should work. Remember they will get wider and spread out as the bread rises for the 2nd time.<br /><br />The men in my family don't cook at all. It's refreshing to me to see how many of you guys are interested in cooking and some of you pretty darn good at it too. :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

There we go. Now I'm on the right track here. I've never bought frozen bread before so my ignorance gleems brite once again! :D <br /><br />Just one thing tho Ladyfish .. the recipe calls for letting the bread rise once for two hours .. you mentioned a second time here?? :confused: <br /><br /><br />Yea, go ahead and laugh some more. Its ok - I can take it :rolleyes:

LadyFish

Admiral

Okay I guess because I make mine from scratch there's the initial rise after kneading it 1- 1/2 hours. Then I roll it out and add my stuffing ingredients and allow it to rise an additional 45 minutes to an hour before I bake it.<br /><br />We need FISHKPR's advice on this one since I have never used the frozen dough for this recipe. I am assuming that during the thaw process the bread begins its initial rise but I could be wrong. It's been years since I used frozen dough for anything other than rolls.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

The men in my family don't cook at all. It's refreshing to me to see how many of you guys are interested in cooking and some of you pretty darn good at it too. <br />
From the above quote I take it that you no longer wish to eat brisket, sausage, pulled pork, ribs, fried turkey, crawfish, boiled shrimp, crabs, hash, beer butt chicken or any of the other things I don't cook.<br /><br />Oh and since the women in my family have traditionaly done the dishes and cleaned the kitchen after every meal I guess you'll be taking over those duties as well.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br />
The men in my family don't cook at all. It's refreshing to me to see how many of you guys are interested in cooking and some of you pretty darn good at it too. <br />
From the above quote I take it that you no longer wish to eat brisket, sausage, pulled pork, ribs, fried turkey, crawfish, boiled shrimp, crabs, hash, beer butt chicken or any of the other things I don't cook.<br /><br />Oh and since the women in my family have traditionaly done the dishes and cleaned the kitchen after every meal I guess you'll be taking over those duties as well.
ROTFLMFAO :D :D ...... Mr. - some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant..<br /><br /> ..guess which day it appears to be today :D

sangerwaker

Commander

Wonder if it's the couch for Mr LF tonight? :D :D :p <br /><br />That bread does sound tasty. Might have to try that one.

LadyFish

Admiral

Ooops. I guess I should have stated that more clearly. I meant my father and brother not Mr. LF.<br /><br />Mr. LF does a excellent job with the smoker and grill and boils up the best damn pot of crawfish I've ever eaten. He also makes one heck of a dishwasher.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just messing with ya LF. Typing "crawfish" got my mouth watering. Called Boyd's. $1.59 a pound. 3 day weekend. Whatcha think?

FSHKPR

Ensign

i always just let rise the one time after it is all put together. even if your just making regular bread from the frozen dough it only rises once. i glad you enjoyed the recipe it sure is one of my favorites and it is so easy to make.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> Thanks LadyFish. I wasn't too sure if it would be 'right' or not to use the stuff I have already.<br /><br />I don't make my own bread so pardon the ignorance here but, what frozen bread dough are we using here as far as brand and such .. I know white but, will it matter? <br /><br />and when I read, "..cut slits on top.." are we talking entirely through the dough or just 'scoring' it?
Hey Barlow<br />We are kinda in the same boat when it comes to making bread.<br />I had no idea you could buy frozen bread dough until reading that thread.<br />Found a value pack of 5 one pound loaves of bread near the frozen pizza's. It says on the package that its great for making pizza also. (rhodes brand name) <br /><br />LF covered home made bread (about rising)<br />MIL turned me on to a little trick when it comes to premade dough. You only need to let it rise once. (Or the last time if will). What she did, while I was rolling the dough and stuffing it, she preheated a oven to 200 deg then shut it off. After I had it in the baking dishes we just set them in the (off) oven for a couple hours to let them rise. <br />BTW I didnt score the bread either. Figured it was just one more thing that might go wrong! ;) <br /><br /> Spinner <br />Now Mrs.Link told me this, so take it with a grain of salt :D <br />She said the reason you brush the dough with egg, is so that it will come out of the oven with a deep golden brown crust! I'm not really sure as I was just following directions.<br />Maybe LF knows about this stuff

LadyFish

Admiral

Mrs. Link exactly right. If you are worried about it looking a little too eggy, then omit the yolks and just use the whites. Wisk them until they are one consistency. It does turn the crust into a beautiful golden brown either way. :)

FSHKPR

Ensign

yep thats what the eggs are for. i should try the recipe with some homemade bread one time. been along time since i made bread from scratch.(probably when i was a cook in the navy 1976) but i bet is just a little better. as far as scoring goes i usually score about 6 to 8 slits about 1 inch long. then when cutting for serving i use the same slits as a guide.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Link, LF & FSHKPR !! I'll be going to the store sometime today to check-out this frozen bread stuff..<br /><br />I'll post back after I burn the house down on the first attempt!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Frozen bread is is better than loaf bread but not nearly as good as homemade bread barlow (in general, not just pertaining to this recipie). But As for me I'll stick with the frozen bread, lot less work...Ya just gotta remember to thaw it beforehand, even the oven thaw method requires a bit of time. Gotta love when the MIL comes, she makes up several batches of her bread and stock my freezer for me with 20 or so loaves.