Fish finder advice

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys-

I'm ready to get a fish finder/GPS combo pretty soon and would like some advice on what to get. I plan on doing about 75% lake and 25% ocean fishing in California. I don't plan on going deeper than a few hundred feet or too far from the coast. I'd like something in color that's not more than about $650ish. What would you guys recomend and why?

Thanks.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Fish finder advice

Eagle 640-series with GPS is a nice workable color unit in that price range. I have a Fishmark 480 sonar, but plan on one of those w/ the external GPS antenna for GPS; I will use the sonar as backup to the 480 if I ever need to, but it has better resolution than the 480.

Check it out- you might like it. Then the GPS will be there whenever want it- it takes the Navionics map cards too.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. Is Eagle the brand or model?

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Guys-

I'm ready to get a fish finder/GPS combo pretty soon and would like some advice on what to get. I plan on doing about 75% lake and 25% ocean fishing in California. I don't plan on going deeper than a few hundred feet or too far from the coast. I'd like something in color that's not more than about $650ish. What would you guys recomend and why?

Thanks.

I would look at the Humminbird 700 series combo units.

Customer service at Humminbird beats Lowrance.

Quack Addict

Cadet

Customer service at Humminbird beats Lowrance.

Lowrance has customer service? I thought it was just an 800 number that rang through to non-stop elevator music. :eek:

IMHO, have a look at some of the Humminbird or Garmin units in your price range. Lowrance has some decent-looking stuff on the market but their product durability is the WORST in the industry and the customer dis-service they have to back up their junk will drive you insane.

You're better off paying $200 more for a good unit up front instead of going Lowrance and having it nut out just out of the warranty period, then having to write Lowrance a check (for $200) just to have the unit looked at.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...IMHO, have a look at some of the Humminbird or Garmin units in your price range. Lowrance has some decent-looking stuff on the market but their product durability is the WORST in the industry and the customer dis-service they have to back up their junk will drive you insane....%...You're better off paying $200 more for a good unit up front instead of going Lowrance and having it nut out just out of the warranty period, then having to write Lowrance a check (for $200) just to have the unit looked at.

Mileage may vary. I suggested the Eagle/Lowrance stuff because I have used them and know people who have used them and the stuff works. These famous problems with Lowrance are urban legend to me: oft quoted but not substantiated to anyone I know that owns one.

BTW- I have some friends who prefer the Humminbird units. They work; I am used to and like Lowrance. I have one friend who ditched the HB stuff for freeze-up issues in the 500 series. Everyone has "software issues" these days- stuff is put out so fast and updated on the fly. Electronics that sophisticated designed that fast are bound to have issues.

Maybe the OP may like the HB, but I like the Eagle product in his price range, so I suggested it. It has worked for me. My best fishing fishing buddy is a bass tourney guy who prefers HB. So? He does avoid certain HB models however because even he knows their history of problems. The stuff he has selected works. I just don't prefer it, myself.

But I don't dis stuff based on the fact that I don't like it. You apparently just don't like Lowrance. He's (the OP) looking for help, not opinions on who to vote for in the next election for Pete's sake.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm...I spoke with a guy at Bass Pro Shop and he told me that Lawrence are better than HB. He showed me one like what Mark mentioned. I have a cheap little HB now and don't like it, but probably cause it's so cheap.

Thanks for the help.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you happen to get a good Lowrance out of the box I will go as far to say you`ve got the best graph on the market,.

I`m here to tell you I didn`t. I went throught hell with a x510c and software issues and hours on the phone with no fix from Lowrance.

Buyer beware.

I went from a flawless Lowrance x75 1998 model (8 years of great service) to a 2007 x510c junk from day one, sent in twice for software upgrades and a transducer, no fix.
Now back to a monochrome Vexilar EdgeII that works good like my old Lowrance X75.

Lowrance today is not the same company they were 10 years ago.

Navico is the parent company of Lowrance they own several names like simarad navman and others.
I wouldn`t buy anything under the navico umbrella.

Humminbird, Garmin, Vexilar or Furuno is where I would shop for electronics

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I also still think Lowrance are the best units today but do not buy a first year model.
I am pretty sure Eagle product line is going away this year.
I would sure find out before I purchased a new Eagle.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I also still think Lowrance are the best units today but do not buy a first year model.I am pretty sure Eagle product line is going away this year.I would sure find out before I purchased a new Eagle.

Well, I have confidence in Lowrance! Eagle is identical to low-end Lowrance cases, Lowrance just has higher price and more features. I am sure Lowrance will back up the product.

So to my Dutch-lineage way of thinking a new Eagle might soon be a bargain :) :D

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

We have used an Eagle FishMark 480 for the past 4 years with seamless performance. In my honest opinion, I think most all of the marine electronics mfgrs. do a marvelous job building electronics. Customer service apparently has been an issue and those with the issues know who they are. Dependent upon the functions that you need (or want) and the price, if that's a factor, you definitely have a smorgasbord of lots of fine equipment. I don;t pit one against the other in terms of quality; however, service is quite valuable. Several of them have worked with us as needed.

Captain Chris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AIVGy7_A60