first time boat owner. suzuki dt40

markv20

Cadet
Hello all. Im new to outboard engines so please excuse my ignorance. Boat has a 1997 suzuki dt40 engine, when hooking up the "ears" with the hose to the engine water comes out of the pisser fine. Yesterday I put a 55 gallon barrel full of water under the engine and let the engine idle for about a minute. In that time no water came out of the pisser at all. exhaust smoke did, but no water. Should water have been coming out? I assume it should have been so what would cause it not to be

robert graham

Admiral
Re: first time boat owner. suzuki dt40

Maybe time to replace water pump impellar and new thermostat...any idea when and if it's ever been done?

markv20

Cadet

Its been a few years I believe, I just go the boat and previous owner said he changed it 2 years ago. How often should it be changed? I ordered the impeller kit and service manual so I can get a hang of working on it. My first time working on an outboard so its learn as I go.

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your motor was positioned in the barrel with water up to the cavitation plate it sounds like you need to replace the water pump impeller. If the motor is new to you it's something you should do for regular maintenance and peace of mind, I would get the whole water pump repair kit.

markv20

Cadet

If your motor was positioned in the barrel with water up to the cavitation plate it sounds like you need to replace the water pump impeller. If the motor is new to you it's something you should do for regular maintenance and peace of mind, I would get the whole water pump repair kit.

Yes it was in the barrel with water up to the plate. Ok, great. I assumed that would be a good starting point so I went ahead and ordered the kit and a service manual this morning.

sk

Seaman Apprentice

you should replace impeller every two years but i do it every year for peace of mind.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The reason water flowed from the "tell tale" is because water pressure from the hose "forced" it through the engine.

Crashtackle

Cadet

Markv,

I have the same motor but brand new. I had little water coming out of the pisser hole too, after I got stuck in mud. I pulled the leg off and checked the impeller and found no problem there. I assembled it with a bit of rubber grease and still similar from low flow from hole. Next time I took it out crabbing and was the same and was worried that I might cook the motor so I probed the pisser hole with a bit of stainless trace, and found a little bit of debris in there, and with the motor still going, it blew the crap out and then it all come good. Check there is no crap clogging the hole. It may be that simple.

Crash.

Vitamansea

Cadet

Well all the DT40's have the same issue, suzukis in general. You need to have a roll of .032 safety wire on board. Run the aircraft safety wire up the **** hole about a foot and pulll it out, get used to doing this daily or whenever you suck up and sand or mud.

have fun:cool:

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

I WOULD AGREE WITH Vitamansea I owned a dt75 and it would clog from time to time