First time boat buyer- Stingray.

Downforce6

Seaman
Re: First time boat buyer- Stingray.

Standard reply to these threads for me. No 470's, no Ford based, no Volvo blocks, and no OMCs. There may be nothing wrong with any of these, but the fact is there are many, many more Chevy based Mercs and Volvos out there. there are parts available, lots of knowledge, lots of experience and that's just the better way to go. Good luck!!

http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/3052245803.html

Posted 30 minutes ago, and I just happen to be going to the lake tomorrow.. Already called but no answer, gonna check this one out for sure.

Downforce6

Seaman

It was a 93 Glastron- Fail. Long story, but the boat is being sold as-is. looks like an ok boat but the guy at the Marina didnt seem to want to talk about the boat. Wasnt his, and he seemed aggrivated the owners posted it on Craigslist instead of lettin him do the work.

spent 5 hours shoppin at the Lake.

Nothn, nadda. a $20K boat, is a small, cheap boat, as far as Lake of the Ozarks, MO Dealers are concerned.

Meetin this owner at Clinton, MO for a ride on Truman lake in this boat at 10Am in the morn, he say's hell take $3500. - http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/3053796370.html

This one, is out of my price range, and not what I'm looking for, but I thought it such an interesting deal, i thought i'd point it out to you guys, in case anyone else was interested, seems like a hell of a find.---->http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/3013315614.html, that looks like one fine boat for the right guy. Course, pictures are pictures, and like I've said 5 times already, I'm no boat expert.

Downforce6

Seaman

Meetin this owner at Clinton, MO for a ride on Truman lake in this boat at 10Am in the morn, he say's hell take $3500. - http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/3053796370.html

Ride on Truman lake went well, Engine looked and sounded good, no milky white on the dipstick, floor solid, no wet in ski compartment. Gimble bearings replaced two seasons ago (has receipts). Oil pressure looked good, motor never got over 110F, we just rode around about 45 minutes tho.

-Comes with trailer, cover, bimini top.

-Radio doesnt work, fish/depth finder doesnt work, no anchor. middle window shuts/opens, but the latch is broken.

-Carpet and seats and nice for an older boat, must have been redone at some point, no rips/tears, hardly any fading really.

-Hull has some scratches/dings here and there. Overall it looked good to me, not quite as good as the 20-100K boats I saw at the Ozarks yesterday but.....

NADA has the boat at $3200. He is askin $4000. Handshake agreement for $3500. The boat looks to be in good condition to me, but like I've stated several times already, I know little about boats but from what I've looked at and seen. I feel like $3500 is a fair price, not a steal, but a fair price.

I didn't have the tools on hand to do a compression/leak down test, Hopefully it wont come back to bite me.

Meeting him again tomorrow to exchange cash/title, I cant wait to get this thing home and get to playin around with it.

17', 3.0 L rated about 110-130 HP.. Bare minimum in size and power for the lakes around here. Been on the water 45 minutes and havent even paid the guy yet, I already want a bigger boat. But, being the novice I am I feel like this is going to be a great starter boat for me. We mostly go to Mark twain anyway, which is a relatively small, 18000 acre lake about 45 minutes away, I think the boat will be fine here, likely too small for the Bagnel damn Lake Ozark area which is a minus, but maybe a quieter area of the 93 Sq mile Lake Ozark will be explored in time. (yeah, I know, still small for what some of ya are accustom too, but for those who have been to the Bagnel damn area, you know this is rough water for a 17' boat.)

Anybody got any xtra vacation days to lend me for work? lol

Good websites to purchase boating gear? Lifejackets/ depth finder/ anchor, etc...

Thanks again for all the help!

Barry

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The listing was deleted post some pics! Congrats on the new baby! I've owned mine for two months and haven't gone more than four days without having it on the water and I don't get vacation so you will find time. Can't wait to see it! Now its time to enjoy the fruits of your labors!!

Downforce6

Seaman

The listing was deleted post some pics! Congrats on the new baby! I've owned mine for two months and haven't gone more than four days without having it on the water and I don't get vacation so you will find time. Can't wait to see it! Now its time to enjoy the fruits of your labors!!

229896_406248592749908_1473398109_n.jpg554384_406249386083162_1272382614_n.jpg

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That looks like a pretty clean rig! Hopefully she will serve you well until you get
a bigger one. :) It will happen... you cant stop the disease.

Downforce6

Seaman

Thanks, man. I hope so too!

The old lady took the pics and old ladies don't think about pictures of motors I guess, but the motor looks like the rest of the boat. Old, but clean and looks to be well taken care of.

I can tell u Saturday cannot possibly get here fast enough. Although i'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about my first cast-off. The seller was nice enough to explain everything he did while we went for the test ride/drive last weekend tho. I'm taking the boater saftey course, even tho, well lets just say I got the 1984 (MO requirement) thing beat. I'm taking it anyway.

I feel pretty good about it at the moment, the thing is small enough I don't think I'll have any trouble. Only gonna be my first time once!

KFS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just wanted to say congratulations!

We are in a small, older boat too and y'know what? When it's running safe out on the water and my two kids are having the time of their lives on it - I'm pretty sure it's the best boat around :)

May you have endless happy hours in your new-to-you boat!