first post: Looking for ski boat stringer advice

82skifine

Cadet
Re: first post: Looking for ski boat stringer advice

Ok guys, next question.

Ive been reading lots of debate on the seacast stringers. Lots have success, some seem to have cracking issues. It seems that this may be due to lack of preparation of the old fiberglass.

Would it be better to prep and do the seacast and do a one layer cap out of poly for the stringers. Let it cure fully and prep it all again. Then do the additional tabs and another full stringer wrap with epoxy resin as well as the cross bars and floor?

I would just feel better knowing there is a better bond on the last wrap and not trusting poly to bond well to 30 year old glass....

82skifine

Cadet

Last question, I swear:D

For the foam. I do not want a pour in foam. What would be a good alternative foam in block or sheet form?

Thanks again, you guys are great!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The pink or blue sheet foam from Lowes/Home Depot works well and does not absorb water. Slice it up and pack in as much as you can. Some crazies (me) have even used pool noodles.

82skifine

Cadet

Thanks ezmobee. I knew the lowes stuff was closed cell, but was worried about reaction with gasoline with it.

I just pulled tons of wet molded foam out. There is no way I am having foam sit on the hull again.

Thanksh

Hoggar

Seaman

The pink stuff from the Box stores is not safe from Chemicals gas, acetone, and the like will eat it up. These were exposed to eopxy.

Foamular.jpgFoamular-Epoxy1.JPGFoamular-Epoxy3.JPGFoamular-Epoxy4.JPG

82skifine

Cadet

^Thats what I was concerned about. Im assuming the blue foam from lowes/hd is the same way? What does the foam do when exposed to polyester resin?

Hoggar

Seaman

Didn't try it with Poly but will give it a shot when I buy a batch for my Surfer project. but that's a month away still.

Have you looked in to Core-Cell or Divinycell? I used Divinycell on my Elgin and its rock solid
but it didn't have stringers.

[Elgin Project]