First mishap on the new boat - gel coat in need of repair

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice
Re: First mishap on the new boat - gel coat in need of repair

This one caught my eye, so thought I would offer my $.02.. First step as was mentioned is check the inside of the hull to see if any of the damage has gone all the way through (I doubt that it has, but better safe than sorry). To do the repair you'll need to remove the section of rub rail beneath the damage (easier working and you'll need to feather and taper the glass into that area).

I've checked out the inside...no cracking/softening in the fiberglass. My biggest concern is having to remove the rub rail - are we talking about the actual metal fitting? Is this necessary if there is no glass damage? Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've checked out the inside...no cracking/softening in the fiberglass. My biggest concern is having to remove the rub rail - are we talking about the actual metal fitting? Is this necessary if there is no glass damage? Thanks!

In order to get the proper grinding and laying of glass, I'm afraid the rub rail will need to, at the very least, be partially released from the hull and dropped down away from the damaged area.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, but the rub rail is pretty easy to remove. Find an end of the black rubber insert (hopefully close to where the damage is) and with a screw driver carefully work the end out of the metal, and from there is will peel out quite easily. Peel it out up to an end section of the metal so that the metal can be removed without taking the rubber insert with it. If the metal piece is solid all the way around, just undo it far enough to give some working room for the repair area (maybe a good idea to tie it up or support it somehow so it can't just flop down to the ground and possibly kink).

You'll want to remove this railing to give better access for the repair, but also to eliminate any possibility of damaging it while running the sander. More than likely when you're tapering / grinding the damage out, you'll have to encroach into the area beneath the rub rail anyway. So, better to remove in the beginning rather than having to switch gears half way through the grinding to do this. It's an easy thing to do; if you want to post some additional pics showing the overall general area a little better (not so zoomed in) we might be able to give a little more specific instructions.. Hope this helps!