First mishap on the new boat - gel coat in need of repair

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice
I had my wife behind the wheel as we were docking yesterday to grab lunch and we caught a big wake from someone way to close to the dock. She panicked and let off the throttle...boat scraped up against the dock (missed the rubber guard on the dock and boat) and left a nice gash on the side of my boat.

I'm a diyer for small projects and after doing some research on gel coat/fiberglass repair, I feel like I could manage this project. However, I need opinions.
- Is this beyond an avg joe's ability? My main fear is the location...not really on a level spot and right up against a seal.
- Is this gash deeper than just the gel coat? It doesn't seem like it to me, but it definitely ripped all of the coating off.
- Finally, if I do take it to a local shop, how much am I looking at for a repair?

I appreciate all feedback...fairly new to boating and this is my first headache.

Attachments

• P1000188.jpg
    P1000188.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000189.jpg
    P1000189.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: First mishap on the new boat - gel coat in need of repair

Depends...Matching the Gelcoat is the toughest part. Fixing the damage is NOT that difficult. Getting the Gelcoat COLOR to match the existing color can be a big challenge. The experts have a difficult time with it. Sooo... if you want it to be almost a perfect match I'd recommend you take it to someone. If you are ok with "Gettin it Close" then you can absolutely do this repair.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If it is a new boat, AKA a 2010 or 2011 model, the dealer will have the OE gel coat to do the repair and it will match 95-100%. But if this is a "new to you" boat that is really 6-10 years old, the gel has faded a bit and the color match will be as good as the tech who does the job.

If it is a new boat, take it to the dealer, and your insurance may cover some or all of it.

If its an older boat, try fixing it yourself.

BTW, the way the gel all popped off right down to the chopped mat layer, it looks more like "puncture" damage rather than "scrape" damage. A scrape, even a bad one, usually does not take gel off right down to the CSM layer. So look for extended damage from the inside of the boat, such as stress cracks or obvious de-lamination of the fiberglass (if you are able to see the inside of the hull).

Good luck!

Mark

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you both for the responses. The boat is new to me...it is actually a 2004, but in very good condition (never in the water over night and typically garage kept). The local Larson dealership/shop is no longer in business, so I will have to call around to a few shops to get an estimate. If they are out of my range, I will try and do my best to match the gel coat.

As for the actual damage, I will have to take the cover off tonight and make sure I don't see any more damage from the inside (thanks for the reminder!). I should be able to see from the inside since the "wound" is up high, only about 10in below the top.

One more question - am I risking any more damage in the short term by using the boat? Accident occurred Saturday but we did go out again on Sunday. Like I said, the damage is up high, so I wasn't too concerned about the water, but I could be way off...

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

with an open wound like that, I would have at the least put duct tape or something over it to prevent water from splashing inside and possibly getting the raw glass wet...or allowing water to seep down in between the layers and just sit there after the repair. dont know why but that doesnt sit right with me. makes me think a blister could happen later on down the road.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you are NOT going to repair it this season, then yes buy some Marine Tex and fill it as best you can to protect the glass. You can grind it out later.

jp37uF1rmLH2OfRejYwQPEYLDuDV80pzLf2WM5FtzXOojJLopLRy4PpFMSsUlXtp61OAzRVDGi2flVbl-VNObJ4pr5PdAvw24h9ijV_igNA6Jr6HqZ3YyR_lAjVlsqf4RXOphCuzz1mzTJvWsLAwyHceo_T7abwjrZuKAlsghBx0tGpW-zU-SRbjtoT5CfTBCbgP0RzIynW2dKGG_S2DikY1IkFCako6

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

It is getting fixed this week...either by a local shop or I will learn, but I'm not letting it go any longer.

If some water DID get into the damaged area, will it dry with some sun and warm weather over the next few days? "...allowing water to seep down in between the layers and just sit there after the repair." That scares me after having it out yesterday...

emoney

Commander

As soon as you've noticed and caught it, it should be fine. Marine Tex is a great "repair" kit and will seal it up solid if you choose to put off the "pretty repair". It won't look factory, far from it, however it will be solid and leak-proof if applied right. Plus, it's a really easy system to apply.

Now, back to the main point; sounds to me like, since it was the wife at the helm, it's time to trade for a bigger boat. I mean, she did damage this one and all.......:D

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is that gash just above the rub rail?

Great advice from everyone above. It looks to me like there is some visible damage to the fiberglass beneath the gelcoat. As Woodonglass says, YOU CAN repair this yourself. With it being a 7 year old boat. That's what I would do, especially since the amount of the repair by a professional could easlily equal or exceed your deductable.

Definitely put some sort of sealer over the wound if you aren't going to fix it right away.

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, just above the rub rail. I think I will forgo the temp fix (Marine Tex) and attempt the "pretty" repair.

What should I look for in the fiberglass beneath the gelcoat? Just cracks? I might be talking myself out of a personal repair if this is deeper than the gelcoat...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Look behind the damaged area on the inside if you can, and see if you can see any cracking or soft spots. If not then basically just grind and feather out the damaged area, lay in some resin and CSM, Fill and fair, and re-gelcoat. Do some searching here on the forum and google and Youtube and you will find plenty of examples on how to repair gelcoat damage. It's not brain surgery but does entail some skill and labor.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would not use Marine Tex or any other epoxy for the repair. Gel coat is polyester resin (or vinylester) and therefore, I would use plain old poly resin with a little thickener mixed in to patch it temporarily . Epoxy is very hard compared to poly, and sanding out the epoxy so the poly gel will stick will be a real problem. So patch with poly resin, or just buy plain old white gel coat and lay on one or two 1/16" layers, sand, polish and call it done.

In Deep

Seaman

Have to chime in that the color match could prove to be difficult. I recently had a similar repair done but mine was @ 1 1/2" long and not as deep. It ran me $150. The color wasn't 100% on mine but was closer to the water line on a light tan 2002 Larson. If anyone but me went looking for the repair they'd have a hard time finding it. Time and fading should blend it closer.

Hope this helps.

Doug

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

All great advice...thanks everyone!

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

Quick update - after checking into professional repairs, I was looking at spending over my deductible ($250) to get it fixed. I have decided I will do the repair myself (actually, with the help of a family member who owns a body shop). In the meantime, I was told to "seal" the wound with Hurricane tape as a temporary fix. I've never heard of this stuff before, but evidently, this is some pretty tough (and water resistant) tape. I thought it might be good advice to others who have a similar mishap and need a quick/temporary fix.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That is a GREAT TIP!!!! I put it in my Book of Knowledge to pass on. THANKS!!!

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

This one caught my eye, so thought I would offer my $.02.. First step as was mentioned is check the inside of the hull to see if any of the damage has gone all the way through (I doubt that it has, but better safe than sorry). To do the repair you'll need to remove the section of rub rail beneath the damage (easier working and you'll need to feather and taper the glass into that area). Easiest way to grind the damage away on this small of an area is with a sander and 40 or 60 grit paper; u80 will work as well, but take a little longer. Careful grinding on the profiled lip just above the scrape as this glass will be a little thinner than above and below. Dish the area until all remnants of white (broken glass) has been removed. VIP: DO NOT SAND ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE HULL! THIS WILL OPEN UP A WHOLE NEW CAN OF WORMS! This is the only critical part; take your time.

Use 1.5oz CSM and poly resin with a number of 2" disposable brushes. Tear the glass roughly to the shape of the area that was ground out (starting small and working up in size so each layer is a little larger than the previous one. The top couple of layers should overlap the area that was ground out and lay onto an untouched section of the hull (just by a 1/2" or so). Let this cure and go at it with a sander and 80 grit to do the major knock-down and fairing (be careful of the profiled lip; get it close, but final shaping will need to be done by hand and a block).

After all the shaping and fairing has been done (spots that are a little low are OK, but high spots need to be taken care of), go over with a poly based fairing compound (my preference is a product by Ad-Tech, but there are others that work just fine). Go over top of the repair with this to fill pin holes, low spots, and get the final fairing done. By hand and a block go back over this to get it perfectly smooth (even a little low is best as the top layer of gelcoat will add additional thickness to bring everything perfectly fare).

Try contacting Spectrum Color (online search) to see if they have your gel avail; if they do, then the match should be pretty darn close based on the way the hull has been cared for (stored indoors, etc). For this small of an area, the gel can either be sprayed or brushed on (apply in layers to avoid runs/sags, and make sure that it is laid up fairly thick (20 mills or so). Better too thick than too thin; this will ensure a proper cure and excess will be sanded off.

Wetsand starting with 320 and work your way up to 800 and buff out with a compound. Remount the rubrail using a bedding compound over the screws (3M 4200), clean up and enjoy the fruits of your labor! This is a simplified explanation, but covers all the steps. All cleaning and prep is done with acetone, make sure to wear a respirator when grinding and don't worry about making mistakes! There nothing you can do that can't be fixed!! Good luck!~ It sounds more difficult than it really is..

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Quick update - after checking into professional repairs, I was looking at spending over my deductible ($250) to get it fixed. I have decided I will do the repair myself (actually, with the help of a family member who owns a body shop). In the meantime, I was told to "seal" the wound with Hurricane tape as a temporary fix. I've never heard of this stuff before, but evidently, this is some pretty tough (and water resistant) tape. I thought it might be good advice to others who have a similar mishap and need a quick/temporary fix.

$250 for that repair is Bondo job ..just to let you know..Repair yourself..Hurricane tape.. ?

Tape is NOT a good advice for "fixes" .. leave it alone..or repair the Right Way.

BWT answered your question..just like I would do it.

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

good post BWT....

and yes....as above by YD....250 for that is a bondo job....DO NOT DO IT.

i see that your friend is an auto body guy....thats great.....BUT....use only proper fiberglass gellcoat and resin to repair this.
generally speaking.....auto body guys will use the stuff they know...and thier stuff is not proper for this or any boat job..there is a big difference.....follow the above advice.
your auto body friend can help you get it nice and straight

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

This one caught my eye, so thought I would offer my $.02..

Awesome post! Thank you, BWT.

I didn't mean to recommend tape as a permanent fix, but surely it is better to cover the wound so water/rain (if you store outside) can't get in as easily? And I'm no seller or stock owner of Hurricane tape, but this stuff is way better than duct tape...just my $.02...