First Drove

dolluper

Captain
Re: First Drove

What no model T's I'm shocked who's not telling the truth j

D

DJ

1967 Pontiac "Executive"/Bonneville, 400 cid-4 bbl. One month later a '68' Buick Electra-225 (430 cid-4 bbl).<br /><br />Man, what unbridled powerhouses.<br /><br />We switched to Fords in '69'. T-Birds.<br /><br />Drove many 429/460 cid T-Birds in the seventies. They would "Fly".

Bondo

Staff member

My dad's 1967 Chevy Surburban Carry-All........ His Archway Cookie Truck.........<br />He'd let me drive on the dirt roads when going Fishing, or Hunting............<br /><br />1st owned was a 1964 Chevy II, in 1972.......<br /><br />1st Fuel Addiction, a 1970 Ski-Doo 335 Olympic......

D

DJ

He'd let me drive on the dirt roads when going Fishing, or Hunting............
Ditto Bondo. That's how I got to drive those wonderful beasts. Until 1974, when I was "legal".

KennyKenCan

Commander

Learned to drive in a 1973 Datsun 1600 P/U in 1976, when I was 16 years old!<br /><br />It was Dad's truck, and he modified it extensivly to get better fuel mileage.<br /><br />1600cc engine.<br />4 speed.<br />Custom cam shaft.<br />S.U. downdraft carbs from an old MGB.<br />Custom made intake mainifold.<br />Hooker header with 3" exhaust out the side.<br /><br />Truck stock, was only capable of 82MPH, but after all the mods, top speed was 105MPH.<br /><br />I don't remember the MPG's my Dad got with it, but when I drove it, it probably only got 7MPG!<br /><br />I beat the crap out of this little truck, almost every night after getting my license. It was amazing, it got him to work the next morning!

LadyFish

Admiral

I learned to drive on a 1970 Ford Torino GT Red/White Convertible. It was sweet. :) No way was Dad gonna let me drive his new Olds 98.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> The 57 bug had a opitional ice scapper didn't it?<br />58 Chevy was it a Belair or Biscayne
'Twas a BelAir:) Big ol' boat!!! I hated it, but it was fun to drive when I was 15!!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I learned to drive on a 1970 Ford Torino GT Red/White Convertible. It was sweet. :) No way was Dad gonna let me drive his new Olds 98.
Was your dad Starsky or Hutch? :D <br /><br />Edit: Sorry they drove a sedan.<br /><br />Ken

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> LOL no, the Torino was my boyfriends.
Soooo... you dated Starsky and Hutch .. which one first?? .. one at a time I hope! :p :D <br /><br /><br />First vehicle I drove was one of the farm trucks... with out permission of course on a Dare from one of my cousins .. got caught.. I was 5yrs old. <br /><br /> lets say neither of us sat on a chair at dinner that night.. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I'm not real proud of it but my boyfriend egged me on to race my girlfriend with it. I broke the driveshaft at 130 mph. Nearly rolled it end over end and it hit the brake line. Minor damage but it was a stupid thing to do. :(

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

First drove an early 60's Olds vista cruiser. My folks car, it had a V-8 and if you stomped the gas (Ok I did it now and then) it had so many mufflers and resonaters that all you heard was a woosh of air even at 110 mph! What a hoot!<br /><br /> First car I owned was a early 60's Olds Jetstar, White with a black door and gas cap. Today it would be in a rap video :D . <br /><br />First car I loved was my '68 firebird, drove it for years and loved it till I totaled it. Man I loved that car!!!!! Sometimes I would give anything to have it back. :( :( My wife says even if I do get one I still can't be a teenager again. :( <br /><br />Might be worth atry though!!!!!! :D

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

First driving experience was a 2 ton hay truck, it had a side loader, probably was 12, when I got big enough, I was on the back loading the hay, if I remember, they were 90lb wire bales, not good on the hands, but helped building my puny body.<br />First car was a '67 Cougar, I still have a '69 XR7, just painted-now needs to be re-assembled, wife hates it. Also have a 61 chev pickup, putting a chev small block 400 in that, wife hates that also. She says they smell bad, everything smells.<br />Spud-out

ob

Admiral

Orange 54 Ford F100 Pickup w/352 three speed and a solenoid overdrive gear.Put a 4 bbl carb on it but when gas went up to 45 cents a gallon ,me and my dad reinstalled the 2 bbl we pulled off.After that ,I drove a 67 VW till I went in the service,and didn't get to drive anything for 4 years.It was a renewed freedom getting behind the wheel again.

brother chris

Commander

The mailman let me drive his mail truck when I was 10 or 11. You do see where is this going, right? :D <br />Well, we were driving down the alley to the next mailboxes. They were right in front of us(at the end of the alley). He told me to slow down, so I hit the gas by accident, then yelled to slow down...I freaked out and hit the gas again...then he shoved me against the drivers door and he hit the brakes....at the same time we hit the mailboxes :eek: <br />I think he had some explaining to do. <br />He never let me drive that truck again. :D

dolluper

Captain

Ah the memories great A for those of us that can remember

aspeck

Staff member

First car I drove????? First car I drove legally - Mom met me after football practice with my permit that had just come in the mail and I drove home in a 1974 Chevy Custom Van. First car I could call my own (wasn't really - that is what happens when the family is in the car business) was a gold 72 Pontiac Ventura. That thing would flat out fly! Took the front fender off when I slid in the snow and hit a telephone pole. Replaced it green Bonneville fender. Car was known around town as the "VenaVille" after that.