First boat Deal or no Deal

ssn756

Seaman
My first boat Is it worth it the Mercruiser 470 is frozen but I think it's salvageable the out drive upper does not mover either and the lower had water in it. When I got this thing the bilge was filled 3/4 full of water. Transom is rotted and the motor mounts are hollow. Did I mention that it was FREE!!!! Well enough about me here's the victim.

100_1332.jpg

transom not so good
100_1338.jpg

Not holding much hope that stringers are solid, I've seen the photos and some video. I know what's ahead(but I really don't know)

100_1339.jpg

New gauges would be in order I think
100_1345.jpg

not afraid of wiring.
100_1354.jpg

That step collapsed, too many oreo's
100_1349.jpg

drewpster

Commander
Re: First boat Deal or no Deal

First can it be salvaged? I tend to go with "anything can be rebuilt" crowd.

Is it practical? Its a boat, so the answer here is ...never practical.

What will it cost? Probably thousands, possibly tens of thousands with a repower.

How long will it take? Years+ lots of nights and weekends

What will I need? Everything, including drive, ambition, and unwillingness to quit.

How difficult will it be? Depends on your resources, but generally more difficult than anything else you have ever done.

Is it worth it? Absolutely

First glance tells me to part it out. Get what you can and run screaming away from it. It is too far gone. With what it will cost just to get it working and seaworthy, you can buy one that will get you on the water this summer.

If you decide to go for it, then start the insanity. We would be glad to help and cheer you on all the while. Seriously, its a major commitment. Don't pursue it if you are looking to get on the water anytime soon. But if you want a long term project, plan on doing this one all the way to the fiberglass skins.

enjoy
drewp

Bondo

Staff member

Did I mention that it was FREE!!!!

Ayuh,... What you've got is worth Exactly what ya paid for it...

It shouldn't run much over $5,000. to $10,000. to fix it up...
If ya buy used parts, 'n cut alota corners...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I my opinion, that is not a worthwhile project. You would have WAY more into it to get it seaworthy than you'd spend on a nicer boat. If it had a good motor (that wasn't a 470) or at least a good drive, my opinion may be different. You got a free trailer though!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'll throw in my 2 cents from my limited experience. I'd go with the take it and part-it-out idea & put the money toward something in better shape. Your cheap boat in better condition surely awaits you out there somewhere.

With this one you'll be on the water a long time and many thousands of dollars from now.

jonesg

Admiral

yEH JUNK IT, KEEP THE TRAILER, the engine is junk already.

I would keep THE steering wheel,the steering box, the throttle shifter, bow rail, instruments, seats with mounts.
Maybe the gas tank is re-useable.

If you insist on keeping it, I would convert to outboard, you'll save thousand of dollars.( and you'll need the money).
Still it needs gutting to the glass if you go ahead, pop the cap etc.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The boat can be stripped, sold, given away, chopped up, thrown away, burned at the stake, thrown in a ditch or any combination. After that you should have just a little pocket change to snatch up an aluminum Starcraft to go on your super awesome free trailer.

:D:D

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please don't take offense.

I would light my own hair on fire and run screaming from this, if i had any hair.

Do yourself a favor. Don't bother.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I hate to do this but FIX IT FIX IT. Sorry I run against the grain. I love the look of old bayliners. You can find a rotten doner hull for power. Maybe a 4.3 with a busted block. Cheap 4.3 truck engine for a replacement engine. My old baylinner said buy me and love me. I did and have not regretted it. I had rotten floors busted engine and a Cobra outdrive. # years later I still get excited looking at it. Been a great boat. Most people here run from bayliners but look around Searays, Centurys, and many more are rotten too. If you love it fix it. If you want a boat to get to the water asap Run.

ssn756

Seaman
yEH JUNK IT, KEEP THE TRAILER, the engine is junk already.

I would keep THE steering wheel,the steering box, the throttle shifter, bow rail, instruments, seats with mounts.
Maybe the gas tank is re-useable.

If you insist on keeping it, I would convert to outboard, you'll save thousand of dollars.( and you'll need the money).
Still it needs gutting to the glass if you go ahead, pop the cap etc.

Like I said, this is my first boat so I kinda didn't know what to keep or junk, with the exception of this list, thanks Jones.

Damnit I was willing to work on it but the masses have spoken and I must listen. This kinda fell into my lap though but I guess I'll start looking now that I have the bug. there is a huge antennae on it too VHF I think.

I was ready to scrap it until proshadetree chimed in. now I'm having doubts. Somebody please stop me before I go buy some wood.

BTW what else should I salvage along with steering, gauges antennae, sink, glass, fuel tank etc. etc.

Ayuh,... It shouldn't run much over $5,000. to $10,000. to fix it up...
If ya buy used parts, 'n cut alota corners...

The only way I planned on doing it except for cutting corners, I don't do it at work I definetly wouldn't do it 12 miles from land. That's a long way to freestyle.

I just thought of this How the heck do I get rid of this thing once I gut it out????

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sawzall, chop it up!

You'll have so much money and time into this you could have bought a brand new boat. So the question is do you like this boat that much or would you rather have a new boat? Strip everything you can off it and part it out, go get yourself a nice aluminum job and have a fun project to work on. :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you'd be suprised how easy it will be to cut up into nice bite sized chunks. Or take it to the dump.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

No offense but I wouldn't give a squirt of **** for that boat. Looks like it has a date with a chainsaw in the future, decent trailer though if the parts on it are not shot too. Free can be very expensive.

ssn756

Seaman

I'm glad I posted and the comments initially stung but that's why I posted in the first place, to get honest opinions not smoke.

I've already been looking in backyards and craigslist.

The Demolition starts this weekend, I'm scrapping the whole power plant as there's no point in working with something with out any support except for old parts. Just need to figure out what should be kept.

Hopefully my next project won't start with a post in "Boat restoration, building and Hull repair". :redface:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think you are a heckuva smart guy by asking the questions and following through. Plenty of old rigs out there that are reasonable rebuilds. Keep on looking, you'll find one!

Don't mind proshadetree up there, ^^^^ his heart bleeds for Bayliners a little. I have to be fair to the man though, my heard bleeds for certain boats too - cheap or free aluminum ones;):D

Have fun on your quest!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If your looking to get on the water cheaply, I'd recommend an aluminum hull with an outboard. Least chance of financial ruin. An aluminum hull has no wooden stringers to rot. If the deck and transom is rotted, it's not too daunting a task to replace them.

Chris's CVX16

Seaman Apprentice

For your first boat this is not one that would be a good idea starting as a major project or even a minor project. IF you now own it part it out and junk it. If you don't own it yet run away. Someone has neglected it way too long for it to be a reasonable project for anyone but the most determined, well equipped DIY'er.

On the bright side at least the hull doesn't have any holes in it that weren't supposed to be there.

I've got an old Glastron that has floor & transom issues and it is in better shape than that bayliner. I couldn't give it away last year.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I know its Impossible to think...but Im actually looking for a *cough* tinny *cough* ;) .

And Im a glass guy lol :)

YD.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know its Impossible to think...but Im actually looking for a *cough* tinny *cough* ;) .

And Im a glass guy lol :)

YD.

There is no point in fighting the temptation. :D