Firehawk 200 hull help

Firehawk200

Recruit
New to the forum... I'm hopeful someone here has the answers. I'm currently in the process of inspecting a 1996 Tidecraft firehawk 200 hull. A previous owner had separated the cap and hull and replaced the floor under the fuel tanks, installed new tanks and did the transom or so it appears. The problem is that the wood in the hull liner (balsa I believe) is done for. And before they set the cap back on they used the spray foam in a can to add foam to rear area. I have separated the cap and hull, cut away some fiberglass work they done, removed all of the foam they sprayed in and started cutting out the balsa wood that is incased in fiberglass. I'm wondering if someone know where I can get info on how the hull looked from factory so I can see what was removed or added before I start rebuilding. I know some people might think a tidecraft is not worth the effort of rebuilding- but it was free and with some work and reinforcement it can be a nice boat that I wont have a ton of money in.
Also wanted to get thoughts on using plywood in place of the balsa... any help or input would be appreciated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
free boats are the most expensive., especially one that is a project that has been abandoned.

is the boat complete, or missing its motor, the trolling motor and other equipment

the hull when new was a upper 60mph hull, and at those speeds you would want to make sure the repairs you do are better than the factory.

post a few more times and then on your 4th post you can upload pics

doubt any of us would know what the structure of your boat was. however what has me concerned is the balsa. normally balsa is used as a core for things like the hull or deck and plywood is used for things like the transom and stringers.

balsa is used to keep the structure light. its about 1/10th the weight of plywood. depending on what it is, I would most likely use balsa or other light-weight core material such as nida core

is this for the outer hull? if so and the outer hull core is rotten, while you can save the hull, its a lot of work

Firehawk200

Recruit
Thanks for the reply! Actually the outside hull is sound, no repairs have been done to it. I've test drilled the transom and have found nothing that worries me. While the boat came without a motor and controls I do have 3 motors to choose from to put on it. It's rated up to 200hp but I will probably hang a 115 off the back- not looking for a runner just something comfortable And enjoyable to fish out of.
The balsa I'm referring to is on the inside liner of the boat (under the deck) and runs from the back of the boat about 6" from the transom to about 4' from the bow. Its about 3/8"thick and only 4" across the face of it. It is encased in Fiberglass. I believe it's giving the liner some strength but still allow it to flex if you get my meaning.
. Some repairs were made to the boat before it came to me and were not done correctly which allowed the balsa to get wet.
The floor under the deck where the gas tanks sit has been replaced and is in great shape and tied into the hull/transom nice and solid...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
115 is too little hp. shoot for minimum of 75% of rated. that would be 150

you got to post pics. im afraid your talking about the inner surface of the hull which is a lot of work.

Firehawk200

Recruit
I agree with the 150hp and I have a line on 1 that I'm looking at- just not wanting to purchase until I'm comfortable with the hull. I've actually removed all the additions the previous owner attempted to attach which was the "liner" I was talking about earlier...
I'm now down to the "bones of the boat. The bottom stringers are good. However the balsa stringers along the hull on the sides are rotted. I've cut away the fiberglass and removed all the soaked balsa. I've also found a spot in the floor under the seat area that will be replaced. I've rebuilt a lot of antique autos, done a ton of fiberglass work, and I'm good at wood working but this is a first for me- so my boat "lingo" may not make since... im sorking on resizing photos and will attach when I can...