Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Pusher! I really owe Gm a favor, don't know how to repay him but I'll come up with something.

The roof is pretty much done for now. Still need to mount the flood light, solar panel, hatch, vent cover and anchor light. The current Garmin radar is just a dummy to see how the proper one will fit.

Feels like nothing is happening, but the sanding is almost done, soon it'll progress much faster.

Pusher

Lieutenant

Hi Red,

I hope everything's going well. I ran across a ventilator on Craigslist and thought about your earlier past. I can't remember if you came up with a solution or not.

This style was called a "Mushroom Ventilator". I did a google shopping search for marine mushroom ventilator and had multiple hits come up. It's not quite the style you were looking for but maybe it would work.

Here's the cl link for reference
https://olympic.craigslist.org/bpo/6110624684.html

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's the thing, I can easily get 10-20 a day from local paint shops for free, but if I'd like to get 300 of them it suddenly gets really complicated.
Just get a defect or cheap piece of plywood from a store and cut it into sticks.

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just read the entire thread in an hour. It is turning out amazing! I would buy a boat like that for sure! If I had the money of course.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Pusher, that's what I ended up getting. I've got one under the front gunnel/cap just where our legs are while sleeping and another up in the corner above the stove. Hoping it'll be enough even though the lower vent is mostly out of the wind.

Yeah of course I could cut sticks, but I'm trying to put every hour on the actual boat :)

The sanding is done!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Since there's so much in-floor storage on this ship, are you going to have multiple bilge pumps throughout, or is the deck self-bailing?

I'd hate to see a wave come over the bow and flood the compartments. We're all too invested at this point :)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Was too tired after the 16h rolling session that the only thing I got done today was the non skids on the deck sides. Here's a couple of detail photos that show the surfaces with scars and all. The smoother one is three layers of gelcoat + two layers of waxed gelcoat applied with a foam roller. The non skid is just gel, wax and burnt silica rolled on top of the rest.

Oh yeah. All those compartments bail to the keel bilge in the middle. With really small holes though, but I'm trying my best to get those lids as watertight as possible. In theory it should take crashing waves without flinching, that is if the lids are tight...

Pusher

Lieutenant
The way you've built things so far I'm sure you have zero tolerances around those lids! I love how far ahead you've planning things out.

My wife's boss in speaking at an employee meeting said how we take eachothers talents and motivation for granted until we leave and take a step down in the level of work and see the laziness of those around us pulling us down with them. I thought he made a pretty good point. You make me look like the lazy guy though! Nice deck texture. Keep it up.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, I sure hope I'll be able to live up to those words :)

It's a b*tch finding seals for those lids. The best one I've found this far are made by Trim lo(c?)k in the states, their Dutch subsidiary doesn't answer my emails and I'm back to square one. Will have to try and find something local.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Slow and steady progress, still a horrible mess of cables to sort out before actually connecting anything.

Have to travel to your side of the pond tomorrow, will spend the 8th-13th on Barbados working. Nice to see some sun for a change but I'd honestly rather work on the boat.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It was Bermuda and not Barbados. These (probably American made?) boats are everywhere and they're beautiful! A lot of Downeaster style boats everywhere and they're clearly being used a lot and well taken care of.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
10th of July atm if nothing goes wrong. My girlfriends vacation starts on the 15th of July and we finish shooting the show on the 14th. Hoping to test it a couple of times before we head out for the long one. Is your time schedule still the same with Abenraa?

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I cannot get over how good it looks! You are doing an incredible job. Now if only I had a lot of money and you wanted to sell it...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
10th of July atm if nothing goes wrong. My girlfriends vacation starts on the 15th of July and we finish shooting the show on the 14th. Hoping to test it a couple of times before we head out for the long one. Is your time schedule still the same with Abenraa?
Yep we'll be passing each other like........two ships in the night.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
No stress there, I always expect myself to be wrong so I tend to exaggerate while giving way to others...

It's a shame though, we'll have to try the next season! We're going to be in the water from April onwards, the summer holidays will probably be around July again though. Will just have to shift them a couple of weeks.

Rails are almost in place, broke a bolt in one of the pipes and spent 5h of yesterday drilling the bolt end out.