Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Finnish fishing boat overhaul

Thanks Blackhawk! I'm growing more fond of this boat with every passing day, and it still feels like quite a steal financially(4000€). I'll just knock on wood and continue hoping it'll stay that way, no telling when the first bad news show up. But I'm fairly confident the engine is good, just like you said it ought to be like brand new from the inside (as long as the former owner took care of it, which is hard to determine as of now).

Next time I'll finish the demolition and start grinding the old paint from the hull!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Your progress is looking great!

Give yourself a really good Baby Powder rub down in every nook and cranny, especially near any possible openings in your suit, before putting on your grinding gear, it will help with keeping the itch to a minimum...you can also use some tape to tape up any areas like your wrists or ankles...

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

The waste piles around the enclosure started to grow, so we drove the waste to a local recycling station last saturday. Felt good getting rid of all that rotten wood.

Then I drained the old tank (40l of old diesel in it) and removed it from the boat:

It's mostly dirty, and I'm wondering if I ought to buy a new plastic tank or just clean this one inside out?

Crude but working, no flex anywhere and it seems solid. I'll probably polish and reassemble it anyway when it's time to paint the hull.

The keelguard is bulging out in a few places. Still unsure what to do with it. It seems like it's just screwed to the hull.

This is where one of the screws has failed, I'll try and remove the old screw and see if I could just replace it with a new one. Or?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

General progress ripping stuff out. Managed to clean out the bilge with my new shop vac (visible in the picture).

That's where the tank used to be, the black gunk is a pain in the *** to clean, but I'm getting there.

Even managed to get some fishing done, walked around for four hours and fished from ashore, quite a good catch really.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

40 gallons doesn't seem like much on a boat that size,....

Not sure on the keel guard,.....Might be able to get a screw in there,

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Fairly good progress:

Since last time I removed the tank, railings and all deck fittings made of wood. I also spent 12 hours cleaning the engine and the bilge. Still got some work left with that. After cleaning it'll be my first time grinding fiberglass! I even bought a new DeWalt DA-sander, hope it'll help make the job bearable.

One of the bad things I was anticipating revealed itself. The last owner had poured some cement-like stuff down into the keel/bilge. Either to stop the keelguard through hull bolts from leaking, or to add weight down low. Either way, now I can't reach the keelguard bolts, or see if they leak. Not sure what to do about it though. I ought to be able to break it somehow?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

It's been ages since the last post. A lot has happened since!

Most of the grinding and sanding is done, still got to wait for a quick sandblasting with the inside painted surfaces before the actual rebuilding starts. Then there's some grinding left on the hull outside, planning to get some friends in and help me some weekend.

1. New railings bought (still being modified, but they look real good!)
2. Engine runs and all the diesel hoses are renewed, air filter changed etc. Still got the leak to sort out. (planning to buy a totally new engine top to be sure everything is in order)
3. Whole new exhaust system bought.
4. New raw water filter & intake and hoses bought.
5. New stainless fuel tank
6. Bought a cabin laminated from a mold I happened to find from another manufacturer, I'll get it in May. A bit bigger than the original one, but this saves me a huge amount of work and it's very similar to the original one. On top of that the finish is factory-smooth. Comes with aluminium framed glass windows and door/roof.
7. Searchlight, Racor (copy but good) fuel filter), Webasto heater bought.

Still need: Hydraulic steering system, throttle setup, navigation lights and a lot of smaller stuff. Vents & hinges etc. Oil needs to be changed.

All in all, good progress! Will post pics when I get back down there!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, and all the glassing stuff is bought and waiting for the corecell-sheets. No wood will be involved in the build (except interior decorating/paneling).

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the update,...

I like watching this stuff come together,........

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Please keep the pictures coming, its winter here too and some of us are dealing with ice covered lakes. Your project is quite unique as boats of this type seem rare and uncommon. You have a great plan, awesome boat, and a big audience to share.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

tunska1.jpg

I bought that thing because of the boat, and it ended up being a side show project in itself. Now it's working and almost restored so I can concentrate on the wreck again. Now I can stay for weeks at the summer place and not starve. It's a 1983 Tunturi super sport moped with a two stroke 1.5 hp engine. Noisy as hell but extremely simple and durable thing, they've got a well deserved cult status up here. Had to buy it because I have no drivers license, that's the only motored vehicle I can drive legally without it. Fun thing.

There's the mold for the upcoming cabin. Will be interesting to fit it into a boat it's not actually made for. I've measured everything with care, it should fit quite well, but it's going to need some custom work. Guess I'll have to make a mockup of cardboard and fit that in first.

There's a video of the engine starting for the first time. I was supposed to film the start motor for a friend of mine since it was turning a bit heavy. I had just cleaned the ground cables and apparently that did it. But you can notice how nervous I get when it suddenly runs, and I had some problems shutting it down :)

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

And as a bonus a video of the moped.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Great videos!
Thanks for sharing...
The moped ride looks like fun!
Can't wait to see the beginnings of the cabin fabrication and customized installation.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Spent the weekend at the boat. Some cleaning and measuring. Here's a few shots of the hull after the soda blasting as well, still need to grind the last light blue and white layer. A sand blaster is coming in on the 14th to blast the inner hull from old paint. Then it's time to rebuild!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

And here are a few images of the cabin I'm getting in may. I'm also replicating the deck cell structure, where the hatches are doubling as the main deck surface. (I don't own the copyrights to these pictures, found them off the net. If this is a problem I can remove them).vihuri03.jpg
mirja9.jpg

Jeep Man

Commander

Nice work Mikael on what will be a beautiful boat. The boat reminds me of many of the fishing boats of my youth on the east coast of Canada. I've been tagging along watching your progress. Keep up the great work.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Engine work today! Removed the cylinder head and cover, had a minor leak that will now get fixed and the engine will be repainted and rebuilt in a few weeks. I was scared to do this, but got some help and it ended up being quite easy to do.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I love the way this boat is structured under the sole, very sturdy with strong bulkheads, all covered with strong compartmentalized sections. Seems it's engineered very simple but highly effective. We just don't see boats like this on the great lakes, they really seem to be used on the salt water more, and I cant see why they never caught on here.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

I agree! It was apparently built for professional fishermen originally, and it shows in the construction.

I'll haul the head and cover over to get cleaned and fixed next. Then it's just time to wait for the sand blasting. After that I'll start raising the bulkheads and stringers to self-bailing height.

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

I got a severe cold while we dismantled the engine on tuesday, now I've just been sitting at home building the boat in my mind ten times over. I've spent a lot of time trying to research for good quality nav lights, search lights and other hardware. Some of these are already bought, and some are next up in the vortex of money-spending.

1. Searchlight by DHR (DHR, Navigation lights, Searchlights; Air horns; Nautical lamps)

2123100.jpg

Marine grade stainless steel and simple construction. 100w halogen bulb. I might try out a led replacement for the h3 bulb and see if it compares even remotely.

2. Classic marine grade stainless steel nav lights & anchor light pole with led replacement bulbs. Sturdy and serviceable.

3. Vetus hydraulic steering (Cylinder MTC 72, HTP 42R pump)

3.5 turns from lock to lock, copper tubing and apparently overdimensioned in a good way for the size of this boat.
MTC7210.jpg
HTP4210R.jpg

4. Stainless steel diesel tank 80l 1mm steel

5. Retro Origo alcohol stove

Simple, bomb proof.

0902047_kk.jpg

6. Webasto Air top 2000 diesel heater

A local guy who services these things told me to get a Webasto. He said it's the least frequent heater he has to work on, and when he does it's by far the simplest to fix as well.

Webasto-heater-Air-Top-2000ST-12v-kit-single-outlet-Marine-kit-AT2000ST12VMARINE1-31.jpg

Last edited: