Finishing before gelcoat

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was underneath the boat and noticed this. The boat got water inside due to a cloudburst before I could get it inside
This was weeping from the bottom ridge, is this hole in the hull? I tried using epoxy filler, how bad is this?

Attachments

• Leak.png
    Leak.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like a blurry picture to me . . .

But, if water from the inside of the boat is showing up as drips on the outside, that would be a hole :unsure: (or crack, etc)

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Can’t tell from the picture. I’d want to see if it was more than just a drip. It could be a blister. I would be inclined to grind it out a little and poke around to see how deep it goes.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Curious if you replaced all the wood when you went into this restoration. I can’t see how water could be coming through the hull. If it came in the top side, then all the wood and foam is again wet and the hull is holding water. Something does not seem right here.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Curious if you replaced all the wood when you went into this restoration. I can’t see how water could be coming through the hull. If it came in the top side, then all the wood and foam is again wet and the hull is holding water. Something does not seem right here.
Yep, all new stringers, transom floor, and foam
I did not notice a crack in the inside whenI sanded everything down

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This spot is at the bow, so this
might be damage from hitting something, because the spot is about 1/3” wide
Everything other spot along this bottom ridge to the end of the boat is dry

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I did a little grinding and saw this small 1-2” crack. Glass over, build up with peanut butter and sand back to the original shape? Or is there a better option?

Attachments

• F2BD5B22-2140-453B-9F2E-C52C90150A24.jpeg
    F2BD5B22-2140-453B-9F2E-C52C90150A24.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 16

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Can you back the camera up some. Not sure what I’m looking at there. You need to stabilize the crack with layers of glass. PB over a crack is not a good idea IMO.

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And the latest problem with the bring. out. another. thousand, The motor is mounted, and turned with no problems, I hooked the steering cable and tightened it up and the motor will not budge. Is there a way to fix a steering cable? It turned fine last year, use WD-40, PB blaster, or I'm I looking at needing a new steering cable?

Attachments

• Cable.JPG
    Cable.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Linkage.JPG
    Linkage.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 4

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMG_3915.JPG
Thanks; It's a rack and pinion Teleflex 13.5', what's a good replacement brand?

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm making a fairing compound for filling in gouges before painting. I've added a little extra MEKP to cure (1.5%), and the polyester is about 2-3 months old, stored over the winter I add Q-cels from US composites to make this more sandable. When I try to sand with red sanding sheet, it leaves these raised bumps that I had to scrape off? Is this the resin being old, or are these Qcels causing a poor cure?
Thanks for the advice

Attachments

• Sanding polyester.JPG
    Sanding polyester.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 3

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know of a laminate that you can put over Sprayed gelcoat that has the texture you see in OEM boats. It's a plastic with a diamond pattern. Something less expensive than PlasTeak? Here's the boat floor now after adding 2 layers of 1708 and then PE resin and then gelcoat with Duratec added. Maybe good enough, if I put carpet over this?

Attachments

• Floor Laminate.JPG
    Floor Laminate.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The texture is from the mold

If you are just doing a small spot, you can wax an area, make a mold plate, and use that to mold in the repair

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Instead of a laminate, I plan to put carpet on top of the gel coated fabric. Just run carpet midway up the sides to the ledge in the photo above?Boat carpet.JPG

Last edited:

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What are folk’s experiences with carpet inside a boat? Good or bad? It’s cheaper than a laminate and covers up the floor