Finishing before gelcoat

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What are folk’s experiences with carpet inside a boat? Good or bad? It’s cheaper than a laminate and covers up the floor
On a properly encapsulated deck, the deck covering is immaterial. I would run a snap-in carpet (easier to take out and clean or replace) and never hesitate

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On a properly encapsulated deck, the deck covering is immaterial. I would run a snap-in carpet (easier to take out and clean or replace) and never hesitate
I'm using Velcro on the bottom of the bottom of the boat floor, Velcro sticks pretty well. The carpet is wider than the floor. Should I trim the carpet to the floor width or run some up the sides for protection? I'm thinking the floor width trim looks better; opinions welcome. I stapled the other Velcro strip to the carpet with adhesive and it holds pretty well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

• Carpet sides.JPG
    Carpet sides.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
If I were putting a plate, I'd plate inside, that's where all the pulling force of the weight of the outboard is imho

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I went. Carpet on this boat I'm doing, no more eva foam for me, the squirrels are onto it for nesting material and that's a fight I'll never win...