Finger lakes region canal trip

matt167

Captain
My wife and I are planning a trip in a few weeks to the canals in the finger lakes region. I’ll only have a weekend. Trying to figure out where I should launch for the nicest time. I haven’t looked at the map in a while but I remember port Byron launch being able to get to the little lake on the Cayuga Seneca canal ( Cross lake? ) I know my wife would love to pass by the montezuma wildlife refuge which I know does pass through a section of the canals. We’re tired of boating at the lake we go to. one launch that is over used, and packed any given weekend We turned around and came home last weekend. Wasn’t worth the trouble.

briangcc

Commander
The state launch at Seneca Lake is really nice and has nice amenities should you need them. Gets you right onto the canal there. Nice winding path with decent scenery. If you head into the lake you can get somewhat close to the US Navy installation there where they do sonar testing.

Personally I wouldn't get too close though.

Didn't really travel too far on it - young kids with short attention span, ended up in the lake proper :) Watched the windmills for a while that are on the shore near the launch.

There's actually a launch right across from Montezuma's Wildlife refuge. Concrete ramp - 1 dock (thank you google maps). Can get into the Erie Canal proper from there as well from the looks of things.

matt167

Captain
I’ve been on Seneca many times, but never farther up the lake than Geneva itself. Never ventured onto the river from there. I thought there was a lock right there, to get onto the canal, which is why I was discounting it being only a weekend trip. My dad lives in Ovid right down the road from Sampson beach.I’ll have to look up the montezuma launch. I know there’s a small community down there on the water there. I didn’t know a launch was there. I’ve been to the bait shop once

briangcc

Commander
Yeah its a small brown sign for a DEC launch. Caught my attention one trip through Montezuma's - same road will get you to the B.P. in Auburn. Checked it out and looked good to launch for me. Google maps shows a dam to the right but heading left out of the launch shows it goes right along the refuge into the canal.

matt167

Captain
I’m going to look into that. Might just be the best place thanks

briangcc

Commander
Anytime.

You make it onto the Erie Canal and into say Medina/Middleport/Lockport hit me up - my stomping grounds. Nice marina at Wide Waters in Lockport - aluminum floating docks, bathrooms, etc. Locks 54 & 55 are just ahead of that.

matt167

Captain
I’d like to venture all the way up there. Looks like that launch next to montezuma is my launch point. I’ve saved the address. I’m going to have to get navigation maps for my phone. My garmin Stryker 4 can only drop a pin which works for lakes. Looks like there’s a cool old aqueduct that’s not too far up from the launch