Finding options for Hydraulic rams on 280PT

DavidPaulHarvey

Recruit
Hello Volvo word, I know you guys tend to keep things towards engines but I could really use some help
I managed to swindle myself a really nice retired OPP boat with a "Rare" ( As I am told ) volvo penta 280PT (power trim) leg on it. Had a wonderful summer on the water but within the last week on the water it started loosing hydraulic fluid and leaving a bit of an oil slick when raising and lowering the rams.
I can't find a rebuild kit for the rams, just for the "ram" the 280T has
(Just power tilt for on and off the trailer. Single ram instead of two from what I understand)
Can I just figure out how to get the rams apart and replace the seals with O rings from sets I have in the shop ? I am not a hydraulic guy but don't want to dish out 1k each for some rare parts if I don't have to.
If anyone has has to rebuild rams without having a rebuild kit available I would love to pick your brain.
I tried to research to the best of my ability but the confusion people have online between the 280 280t and 280PT make things even harder.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just buy new seals. Takes less than an hour to reseal and the cylinders stay on the boat during the process

There are no O-rings in the cylinders. There are specific seals.

Five-star marine has the kit. Look in the link in my sig for rebuilding (last April)

DavidPaulHarvey

Recruit
Just buy new seals. Takes less than an hour to reseal and the cylinders stay on the boat during the process

There are no O-rings in the cylinders. There are specific seals.

Five-star marine has the kit. Look in the link in my sig for rebuilding (last April)
Your thread is amazing ! Lots of useful info ! Unfortunately I am a bit green, are the seals from the 290 the same as the 280PT (Power trim) I did reach out to five star marine even though I couldn't find a specific 280PT kit on the site.