Finding information on my mysterious Evinrude 4hp...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most folks do not understand.------The motor does not have a warning horn.-----The motor does not have a shutdown on overheat feature.----It would run till it was too late.-----A wise man would install a new impeller !

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Wow... thank you so much guys - so much information!! Will definitely get working on that little old and simple 4hp and will be careful not to loose the pin !!

Silly question..., everyone is telling me to "change the impeller"... just wondering, other than preventative maintenance..., is there a reason why I must assume the impeller is bad ? (since there is water coming out of those 8 holes in the leg). Just a question...

changing the impeller is routine maintenance on any OB and unless you know who put it in and when theimpeller should be replaced.

not because it is currently bad but because it will turn bad at an unknown date in the future and odds are your engine will fry before you can even realize it .

all you need is one fin to break off and get inside the PH internal passages to stop cooling water .

the cost is minimal like a tylenol...and will save you big headaches down the road :) if you use the engine much change it every 3-5 years minimum... just in case.

if you don't use it much... change it anyway every 3-5 years minimum... just in case.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Wow... thank you so much guys - so much information!! Will definitely get working on that little old and simple 4hp and will be careful not to loose the pin !!

Silly question..., everyone is telling me to "change the impeller"... just wondering, other than preventative maintenance..., is there a reason why I must assume the impeller is bad ? (since there is water coming out of those 8 holes in the leg). Just a question...
A wise measure with a "new to you" motor unless you know for sure that the impeller has been changed recently.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
the amount of seized on impellers and snapped/stuck screws every outboard tech needs to remove each year is depressing, as that means the previous or current owner was so lazy they couldn't be bothered. these are the same people that then blame the motor manufacturer, almost invariably.