Finally gutted out, what next? Named SS Minnow

matantiques

Cadet
Hello all,<br /><br />I have finally gutted out the newly named SS Minnow to just a hull. I have already filled it with water and have identified leaky rivets. I am going to apply "Gluvit" to seal the hull from the inside before I continue. What opinions do you all have about where to go next? I am starting the transom work next week. I have removed the bow cover in order to add a box that will serve as a storage and pedestal seat base. Any ideas on how to do this so that I can add some structural support to the bow? What materials should I use? I was thinking of a 2x4 frame covered with 1/4" plywood but how would I secure it to the boat? I am also filling all the old holes throughout the hull with bondo. Look at the pictures and let me know what you all think. I have received a ton of valuable information from this forum and hope for more. Thanks. <br />This is the SS Minnow before:<br />
before1.jpg
<br />And this is her now 11/1/03<br />
topoff-1.jpg
topoff-2.jpg
topoff-3.jpg

crab bait

Captain
Re: Finally gutted out, what next? Named SS Minnow

bondo is not a good choice.. it absorbs water ,gets spongy , lifts off ... especially aluminum... <br /><br />as far as 'the box'... the original top/lid/deck was there for strength/structure... do you really believe you can re-do the same needed structure..??? i.e. tight good fit..<br /><br />what really works on alumium hulls ...??? i don't really know... <br /><br />heck,,idon't think even 'the professer' would know... maybe monkey dung mixed with coconut milk an laggoon water... ;)

1965MT

Seaman

I would be cautious about using bondo. Years ago I used to weld the leaking rivets and other cracks in aluminum boats. This might be a good solution for aluminum solder.<br /><br />As to the professor, he couldn't even fix the boat that stranded them, but then again maybe he didn't want to???

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my brothers aluminum boat he had some loose rivits so I had him hold a large hammer on one side and i used a light hammer to re peen them from the other side. Worked good. I think it would be good to do this to your really loose rivits before using gluvit.

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

If your aim is to convert the bow area from the decked over style that it was to a deck located lower in the boat that has storage below and a pedistal mount fishing seat, I would use aluminum angle to frame it up and connect to the boat with aluminum rivits or aluminum bolts. If you design it right, you can add support to the bow area. Aluminum is easy to work with and you could always have the parts welded up before you bolt/rivet the completed assembly into the boat. I think I would use plywood that is heavier than 1/4" if it is to carry the weight of a person in a seat. Looks like an interesting project.

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

matantiques,<br /><br />Your project looks somewhat like my 17' SC. Did you have much trouble removing the splash guard? I assume that is what it is called. I am planning on insalling a new transom this winter too. Very interested in seeing updated pictures. If I could get my hands on a dig-cam, I will post some pics too.

matantiques

Cadet

Thanks for all the great ideas, keep em coming. I am planning on making an aluminum frame for the bow box so thanks for the hlp. As for the splash guard, it was easy to remove. I was able to slide a flat head screwdriver between the guard and the gunwale and hammer the rivets loose easily. I have removed, and am not exagerating, over 100 rivets so far in the gutting out process!! I am currently using marine bondo glass reinforced filler for all the holes around the hull and covering the larger holes with fiberglass mat. I will begin sanding tomorrow. I have also found a synthetic plastic board that I am planning on using as stringer material. I will update you on how that progresses. QUESTION: Should the new wood floor on my boat extend all the way to the transom or backplate of the hull? This will cover the drain hole and I would have to make holes on the floor for the bilge pump hoses. What do you all suggest?? Have a great day everyone!!

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

This being my first boat build, I was questioning that myself. I plan on leaving an open area around the drain plug area for accessability and a possible place for bilge pump.