Finally got my 1442 tracker

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well i went 140 miles to bass pro shops to pick up my jon boat and i have to tell u i was happy and disapointed at the same time.The boat itself was very strong especially without the ribs going all the way up the sides.Now here is what i did not like the seats were very flimsy and the foam under the seats was very loose i mean very loose,that part of the boat was built cheap because i checked out the lowe 1440 and it was nothing like that it was very sturdy.I personally think it's because of the lack of foam under the seats and small front deck,now don't get me wrong there is foam it's just not up to par and all there jon boats were like that.My question is i wanna put more spray expanding foam under the seats to stiffen it up any suggestions on the best foam to use and why?Also the paint is very cheap almost like a dusty paint it chips very easy and is very thin,what type of paint would work on a painted aluminum surface already?I'm only going to do the outside because most of the inside will be modified and covered.Any help would be great thanks.

yote204

Cadet
Re: Finally got my 1442 tracker

I think any kind of expanding foam would work I would just be careful not to over fill it. Most of that stuff really expands and you dont want to create any bumps. I put an alum floor in my 1448 last winter and am concidering doing the same thing to cut down on noise.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Also the paint is very cheap almost like a dusty paint it chips very easy and is very thin,what type of paint would work on a painted aluminum surface already?I'm only going to do the outside because most of the inside will be modified and covered.Any help would be great thanks.

First, congrats on your new boat!
As far as the paint, if the factory paint is chipping then it's not properly done. If you overcoat with new paint, it will definitely come off just as easily.
Since it's new, I suggest you make a warranty claim about it.
The ONLY other option is to have the factory paint completely removed before re-painting.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations!

As far as the LOWE vs BassPro... A Lowe is a bundle of cash more than a BassPro. That is why it is a lot more solid. I do not know for sure, but I can't believe that adding foam will stiffen those seats. It may quiet them a lot and that may be what you are looking for rather than strength. Foam is just not that mechanically strong.

Would adding an alliminum rail to the front and rear of the seats be more effective? I personally would attach it with either heavy pop rivets (3/16 inch) or screws with a preference for the rivets. You could add 1" by whatever plank on top of the seats with some screws as well. That would raise the bench seat which could be either good or bad depending on the current height and your height.

If you add the foam, stay away from the "great-stuff" type of foam in a can. It will absorb water severely.

You might get better answers in the "Boat restoration and building section" Those guys really have some good ideas.

Good Luck.

TerryMSU

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well good job, glad to hear you found something, now just post us some pics so we can see her.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

seems a shame to have to start improving a new boat first thing-are you having buyer's remorse? why not run it a while and see what you can live with? The bottom line is "it is what it is." Adding floors is one thing and makes sense for any jon boat to take care of the annoying, and dangerous, floor ribs. Foam won't make cheap seats not cheap. A board is not a bad idea--you could even add some padding while you're at it. Painting a brand new boat just seems wrong.