Fiberglassed and Gelcoated Stringers

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Project of the day was getting ready to replace soft spots in the floor of my bass boat. After cutting away a lawyer of glass and gelcoat and tearing out the old wood to my surprise the stringers and the whole inside are fiberglassed and gelcoated. I have never seen this before. The stringers appear to be almost 3-1/2" thick. The boat is a 1983 Z880 Winner. Is this common in Winner boats?

MVC-023S.jpg

So I guess this means that the stringers will never rot or will at least be a whole lot harder to fix if they do.

G DANE

Commander
Re: Fiberglassed and Gelcoated Stringers

Boat looks solid and strong built. Good to see when someone puts more effort in making quality. I once had a 1976 Norwegian "Fjord" daycruiser, and all the stringers in that were gelcoated too. Even 25 years later there wasnt a spot of bad wood. Mine was only 1" though, with a 1 1/2 reinforcement moulded to the sides on top of them. I dont think you will see any stringer problems in that boat, and no transom problems either.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

If they are 3 1/2" thick, then they are more than likely foam cored stringers. A common design.

studlymandingo

Commander

I have a winner center console. It has the foam cored stringers. It's a well made boat.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same boat as Studly. It seems that Winner was about the first boat with no wood in the hull design. The bulkheads and stringers are a one piece assembly that is bonded to the outer hull. One less thing to worry about.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats good news, I dont think there is wood in the stringers. After removing the screws that hold the plywood subfloor down I dont see any wood through the holes at all. I will try to get better pics but there doesnt seem to be any wood in the stringers. This is the first time that I have ever seen a boat made like this and its good to know that I will never have to replace the stringers.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm gonna give this a try again.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Stumedic, That is a great piece of info you have here. You should go to the Winner Forum and post that link the guys that own a winner would like this info. I woundered why my boat has lasted so long and not had to have the floor replaced. Well I guess I know now. Its nice to know that the things that are wrong with it are only cosmetic and not structural. Thanks for the great info.

studlymandingo

Commander

Awesome Stumedic!!! Where did you get that literature?

Winner stuff is so hard to come by!

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sure wish Bayliner used this design, how nice to not find ROT!

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll move a copy to the winner forum. I've seen people on the forum talk about Winner as being an "entry level boat", but I have to disagree. Although I've been a boat owner for many years, I never knew anything about the Winner line. The owner of my marina and a friend of mine who runs a charter boat are very familiar with them. When I went to purchase mine they are the ones that informed me about the no wood in the hull feature. Both also say that the boat was far from "entry level". Winner also made a 22' walkaround and a center console. Serious looking fishing machines. I'm going to start keeping my eyes open for one.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Make note to self: Add Winner to list of boat brands to look for when doing next project....

Outstanding find. Any manufacturer that went to that length to make a boat had plans for it to last and last and last...

studlymandingo

Commander

Yep Mark42, I have the same boat as Stumedic. I happened upon it doing some horsetrading, and was pleasantly surprised as I began my substructure inspection. I just wish there was more information out there on the Winner boat company. They just kind of fell off the face of the earth in the late eighties. Too many corporate jets from my understanding.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im with studly, I have looked for info on the Winner boat company and come up with nothing. I wish we (Winner owners) had some more info to go with. There is nothing like passing a new boat on the lake in a 23 year old Winner that is just as good or better looking and has just as good hull design and speed. I get complements on my boat every time I take it out. Most of the time its from people with new rigs. Most of the time they have never heard of a Winner before. Well as the saying goes, There is nothing like a Winner! Catch it if you can.

bstites

Cadet

I have a 1977 17.5 ft winner that i am fixing up. Got the floor ripped out and found the molded stringers. It is a good feeling not to have to go through the trouble of replacing the stringers. Oh yeah by the way did your boat have foam in the bilge or not. trying to figure out if this was put there by winner or someone who replaced the decking. I'll put some pics of my project up soon. Documenting step by step.