fiberglass or gel coat repair

dc363

Cadet
92 bayliner capri.. rear of seat in front of transom, lifted up carpet floor is solid but can see the plywood showing in some spotes.. not on the edges just in the middle . dos not look like fiberglass (i can see that around the edges) would that just be gel coat wearing away lookes kind of thin to be fiberglass. just wondering what to cover wood over with before moisture set in and i have a bigger problem down the line. im thinking some fiberglass over the wood then gel coat it any suggesstions would be great thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiberglass or gel coat repair

hi....welcome to i boats.

there is more to it than that.

but first off that specled stuff you are looking at is gellcoat over fiberglass.

the reason that the deck is soft is because the wood is rotting.
you said that you wanted to place new wood over the old and glass it into place.
that will work, however....you will condemn the boat in 3 years.
the new wood and glass will seal the moisture in... and the rot will spread to everything.

i would suggest to remove the rotted section of wood then dig out the wet foam in that area, pour in new foam and replace the wood.

(this will only take another hour or two and is a permanent fix.)

you an glass the new piece in and gellcoat over it.
if it is where the battery is...use a thicker piece of wood.
and if it is on the other side where the cooler is....build bigger limber holes thru to the bilge......the capris were infamous for not having good enough drainage.

hope that helps you.
cheers
oops

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi DC..

Not all floors were totally covered with glass, just tabbed and gelled ( thats one possible reason why you only see glass on the edges and not in the middle ).

If thats the case..and you should know.. then aye you should grind off the gel from the tabbings and the wood..then glass and re-gel as you initially though.

Pics would be cool though ..

YD.

dc363

Cadet

thanks for the info guys. the wood is not soft it is as solid as the rest of deck i think i puilled carpet up intime .. the carpet was always wet your right about those drain holes being small.. i think if it is sealled before it starts to rot i will be ok