Fiberglass itch relief

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fiberglass itch relief

Just a thought,are you supposed to give the panty hose back to the old lady?

Friscoboater

Captain

We are installing speakers and tv wires in insulation all day and pantyhose works pretty good. You stick your arm into it and them pull it off by the toes.

erikgreen

Captain

First, strip naked. Then cover yourself in talc.

Then put a good 1/8" layer of vasoline on your skin, and without putting on any other clothes, put on a tyvek coverall.

If you work hard enough wearing this, you'll come out of the suit looking like you're covered with white frosting!

:) :)

Just kidding. I'd avoid getting the stuff on you as much as possible... a long sleeved shirt with the cuffs taped shut is good, and talc on exposed skin, or for convenience the coveralls are nice if you can get the right size.

Whatever you do, wear a breath mask or respirator.. your lungs won't itch like your skin will, but the stuff definitely goes in and doesn't come out.

To help with both breathing and itching, try to work in a ventilated area, or work with a dust collector nearby to collect the stuff.

I've made myself a redneck bimini tent out of an old bimini bow and some plastic sheeting. Air comes in via the transom hole, goes out via a shop vac with a hepa filter. Dust gets on me a little but doesn't spread around the shop to be kicked up later.

Erik

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Wow another use for duct tape (redneck chrome). I use an old car painting suit, laytex gloves, and a particulate respirator. these are all cheap and work well. the suit is about $20, the gloves are about $10 for a box of 100 and they work well for fiberglassing also, and the mask was about $25. the suit is great because it is all 1 piece and has a hood with a drawstring. Auto paint supply stores are great for boating too. I just bought gelcoat at one.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

You can get the suits at several different places. I got mine at Fastenal for a couple bucks each.
I also got one at HF that doesn't work to bad either.
Also make sure you always protect yourself from the dust. Dust mask or respirator, Glasses, gloves.
Bob

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use rubber gloves and tape the cuffs on my monkey suit if I'm really getting into it. When I go to take the suit off, I always spray compressed air into the pockets, collar, and cuffs so that the excess glass gets blown off as opposed to getting forced into the fabric. If it does start to itch, I go for the cold on cold technique. Cold shower, cold beer!

On a side note, we've been using a 2 oz. mat at work that is made out of recycled light bulbs and doesn't have a binder so it doesn't itch! The only problem is that is really only usefull if you are vacuum infusing a part...