Fiberglass Frustration

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy fellas!! Been outta pocket for quite some time, and can't remember the last time I posted on the forum. I have, however, been working on my boat when time and money permits. It's a miserable slow process but I'm plugging away and will post pics soon. I hope my current progress meets with y'alls approval.

The reason for my visit today is that I'm in dire need of advice. I seem to be having the worst luck 'glassing the vertical surfaces of my bow seating area. I've tried multiple techniques and none seem to be working. What's going on is that as the resin cures it runs down and leaves the csm dry at the top. Here is how I am laying it up: after cutting and installing the lumber I use a grinder to rough up the surface to give the resin something to adhere to. Then brush a coat of resin on and apply the cloth followed by a second coat of resin to wet the cloth and remove air. Regardless of how hot the mix, it still runs off into a nice puddle at the base of the wood leaving the top inch or so dry and peeling. I've gone so far as to massage it in with my gloved hands to no avail. What do you guys do? I'm frustrated beyond belief and y'all would cringe at the amount of wasted resin! (3M BTW)

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fiberglass Frustration

I received some great advice once from a wise old okie...try to wet the glass out first, don't rush it, let the resin really soak in. Then transfer the soaked cloth to your wetted out area. I find this method to work very well. I just did the underside of something on my restore(triangles/check my larivee restore-yesterday's post). These tabs were extremely difficult to do-not vertical, actually I was glassing upside down. There was no other way this could have been done unless I pre-soaked the cloth before applying. When finished...ta da...not even one bubble. Give it a try...and good luck. (p.s.-not a fella, but I can hold my own)

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

sorry...one clarification...I soaked the cloth on a piece of cardboard-horizontally...then transferred vertical or upside down...again, best of luck....

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks a million....That's one thing I've not done. Now that I think about it it seems pretty obvious. Got stuck in a rut and just couldn't think my way out of it. I'll most definitely be trying that tomorrow. (Many apologies...no offense meant...:embarassed:)

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

none taken, sir....hey we're all in this crazy boat restore vortex together..gotta help each other when we can. I think you will have an easy go of it. just be patient...don't rush the transfer..make sure it's good & soaked. then all you have to do is take a wet chip brush, work out any bubbles, & voila!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

For your lay ups try and get the resin with out wax . Also new or fresh wood will soak up the resin so pre coat it, let cure , sand if your resin has wax ,then do your glassing .If you use the resin without wax there is no need to sand between coat .. :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

As an added tip, you can wet the cloth on top of a piece of wax paper and use the wax paper to help hold the shape of the soggy cloth while you put it in place, relieve the bubbles and you can leave it on there till it cures, then just peel it away...
Another idea I have read about, but never tried myself is to put strips of masking tape on the cloth to help it hold its shape, apply the piece, and while holding the cloth against the surface, carefully remove the masking tape...
Good Luck!
GT1M

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you need to do some "baby sitting" to me, don't just layup your glass and leave and take it that everything will go as planned. Stay with your layup and keep rolling brushing from bottom to top to keep the resin from running down until it thickens/sets enough to stay put.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As an added tip, you can wet the cloth on top of a piece of wax paper and use the wax paper to help hold the shape of the soggy cloth while you put it in place, relieve the bubbles and you can leave it on there till it cures, then just peel it away...

oooooh, that's a great tip. I'm gonna have to remember that!

HMcClard

Cadet

I'm working on a restoration involving quite a bit of fiberglass work too. By trial and error I found that vinyl flashing works great for vertical surfaces. Laying the glass mat and wetting it on the flashing and then applying that to the wetted wood holds it in place and I've been using 5mm luan as support until it cures. The flashing is reusable, it just peels away and leaves a glass-smooth surface. Wax paper probably works ok too; I just wanted the vinyl flashing for the thickness and not having to worry about bumps and such in the surface. I've also started making some forms with glass and resin sort of like a mold I guess. Right now I'm working on a new radar arch and that seems to be working out great... the mold let me do some neat radius work and only cost about $30 plus a lot of labor getting it ready for the glass. Good luck.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey, HMcClard, Post up some pics of your "Inventiveness" Sounds like we ALL could learn from it!!!! Sounds "Vellly Intelllesting"
Laugh-In---Very-interesting-758874.jpg