Fiberglass Boat Paint

First off. I have a fiberglass boat. In its previous years prior to me owning it, it had been repainted. I don't know what they did but i am redoing it. It has no more gelcoat and i have sanded it down smooth. Not to bare fiberglass but with the old paint still on it. My biggest question is about topside paint "above waterline". Kinda confused on what definition of above waterline is. I mean do i have to put boat in water and mark where water line is and not put ANY topside paint below that? I'm new at painting boats. Probably a dumb question. Or can i do the whole side of my boat with topside paint? Its always trailered and in fresh water. I'm just mainly confused about topside and bottomside paint. Any suggestions on what i should do here? Appreciate any input. Thanks.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fiberglass Boat Paint

If you search through the forums, you will find many threads on painting. But to sum it up, if you trailer the boat, many people (including myself) use a 'topsides' paint on the bottom of their boats. 2 of the most popular paints are the Interlux Brightsides or the Pettit EasyPoxy....but there are many others out there.

just my 2 cents worth of information

DJ

Yeah i was kinda thinking the same thing. I have been looking at those 2 particular paints. What primer would you recommend? And this process seem right? 1. primer, 2. sand primer, 3. coat of topside, 4. sand, 5. another coat of topside. done?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if you go with interlux, use interlux primer......if pettit, then use their primer...it's best to stick with one company

One more question. How do i determine how much paint i will need? Sold by the quart. Its a 17' shallow draft semi tri-hull. Sides are only approx. 2.5 feet tall. I would hate to not order enough and don't want to get to much. Just guess or what? lol

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

pettit has a rough calculator...you put in some sizes that they ask for and it gives you a rough estimate.
If you buy from a local store, ask them if you buy an extra qt (or 2) can you return it if you don't need it (and of course, haven't opened it)

Thanks a lot for the help. Gonna get the ball rolling now and hope it turns out good.

drewpster

Commander

Page thirteen in the Interlux boat painting guide has a handy chart to calculate the amount of paint needed given your boat's size. I used it to figure the amount I would need and it came out dead on correct.
You should know that Brightside and Perfection paints cover very well. It will seem you do not have enough at first, but you will find the coverage is exceptional, especially if the prep is right.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Find interlux online for cheap, and if u have a west marine they will match the price. Just bring a print out of the price online.

I went with Pettit Easypoxy and their primer. Painting is all in the prep work. Should turn out pretty decent. Need to wait til it warms up though for painting. I will post some before and after pics of my project.