Fiber glass work

Calebbrown77

Seaman
Hi everyone was wondering how to fiber glass large areas to make water proof? Or any other ways to make the wood waterproof thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiber glass work

Large Areas??? Like ????? Are you talking about the Deck, the Transom??? What specifically is the project. Is the wood above or below the waterline? Need more info.

Calebbrown77

Seaman

And has anyone heard of bond glass or fiberglass jelly for filling in big crack in between wood an such?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You really need to do some searching here on the forum for deck replacement. You'll find a LOT of threads the discuss and have pics showing and telling you EXACTLY what you need to know and do to get this job done. www.uscomposites.com is a great source for your supplies. Do a search for Peanut Butter it is a recipe for making thickened resin that you use for filleting (filling the crack) in the edges of the deck. Basically you will need about 5 gallons of 435 resin and hardener, 6 yds of 1.5 oz Chopped Strand Mat(CSM) and 6 yds of 1708 Biaxial Cloth. Do your searches, you'll find all you need.

This thread is a good place to start

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820&page=16&highlight=micks110

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

A little secret .. shhh..

All you need is poly laminating resin..cabosil..1.5 oz CSM and glass ( sometimes 1708 or woving roving ) .. and catalyst to go with it..

Lots of acetone and a few brushes and a bubble roller .. your Gold ;) ..

YD.

Calebbrown77

Seaman

I understand using polly but what is cabosil an CSM? An I need fiberglass resin to or just the fibers!? An catalyst sorry I don't understand everything

gettin_wet

Cadet

i just re-did the floor in my boat i used resin mixed with fibers.. and catalyst is a hardener... not all that difficult i had fun with mine took me 2 mos only workin on it 1-2 days a week..still have to fish lol... what is the project?

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Thank everyone big help!! My project is a 1986 bayliner capri 1950 with a volvo 305 v8! I didn't know to mix the fibers in with the resin that makes is so much easier should I still lay a layer of mat before I resin Over it with the fibers an resin? An another question when taking the floor out I found that the double seat were on a box an inside the box there was foam when putting the new floor I would like to put single seat! Would this be fine since it wont have the box with foam is this ok?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You REALLY need to post some pics so we can SEE what you are dealing with. It makes it SO much easier to help evaluate the issue and formulate a solution.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I HOPE you are NOT considering trying to fiberglass over that deck!!! It NEEDS to be Totally replaced.
But.... That is Just MY Opinion!!!

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't think that's an opinion...it's a FACT! Even has mold growin' in it.

Is it possible that Calebbrown77 and SBL are, maybe, related?

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Ok for all the people jumping to conclusions the whole floor is taken out now an in progress of being replacedso no I am not fiberglassing over that for god sake I'm not a moron!! An it only had 3 lil spots thy were rotting but I decided to pull it all out!! I will get more recent pictures soon!! Now about the boxes the seats sit on is it ok to take those out an put single seat? Even though there was foam in it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Great News, but it would really help us if you would be more specific with your descriptions. When you say a single Seat are you meaning a Bench seat, Captains Seat, Not sure what you mean.:confused:

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok for all the people jumping to conclusions the whole floor is taken out now an in progress of being replacedso no I am not fiberglassing over that for god sake I'm not a moron!! An it only had 3 lil spots thy were rotting but I decided to pull it all out!! I will get more recent pictures soon!! Now about the boxes the seats sit on is it ok to take those out an put single seat? Even though there was foam in it?

Thank Goodness! You can type and punctuate too, so that rules out any relation to SBL. Are you talking about the built-in boxes Badliner...oops...Bayliner uses for seat bases? If so, then yes, you can take then out. They sell replacements for them, and I have seen several pedestal/seat configurations (on this forum) put back in place of them.

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Yes, I mean a pedestal like captain seat 2 of those in place of the doubles. Also I want to replace the split back seat with a solid bench an a deck type area on the newer boat! I'm really exited I get to start fiberglassing tomorrow wish me luck an I'll get before an after pics up also.

redfury

Commander

When glassing the deck, make sure you've sealed the wood, or it's going to drink away your fiberglass resin and you'll end up with a starved layer of fiberglass. And make sure you have enough resin, I managed to find a way to run out while laying the CSM on the deck, and you can't just stop and start again halfway through a section of glass without consequences.

MOST IMPORTANT: Plan your work, then work the plan. This isn't something you can just haphazardly walk up to and start doing. You need to make sure you understand some of the basic principles of how laying fiberglass works, or you will hate fiberglass. Start small and work your confidence up to the larger parts of the work.