Fiber glass questions

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice
I have looked at all the threads I can find but I haven't found the answer to my question.

I was on the US Composits web site they sell resin with hardener. 1 qt=1 oz, 1gal =2 oz, and 5 gal = 6 oz. Why wouldn't I get 20 oz with 5 gal if it takes 1 oz per qt.? Do i need ot buy extra hardener? I have an area of 12 x8 plus the transom. I am figuring 10 yards of CSM and 10 yards of 1708. according to there site i need 5 gal of resin. does this sound right or am I to low on either mat of resin. I still need to water proof the transom and stringers too. I feel like it isn't enough but i don't want abunch left over either. Any help would be appreciated.

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Fiber glass questions

I would give them a call and ask them if I was you. oops may know the answer off the top of his head, but the quickest way to to give them a shout.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You need to be a bit more thorough in your research on the uscomposites site.
http://www.uscomposites.com/pdf/MEKPDirections.pdf
The amounts given are what they ship with your order. In reality it only takes approx. 1 oz of hardener per Gallon of resin but due to different mixing ratios due to temps and other variables you can use it at different rates so they ship a more than adequate supply but they clearly state that and if you feel you will need more they suggest that you order more. Generally speaking what they ship with your order should be more than adequate for the amount of resin you purchase.
As for how much resin you will need, this is a pretty good guide for you...
You should be putting one layer of CSM on the bottom of your deck. Have you allowed enough CSM for that?
IMHO you will need a minimum of 10 Gals of Resin and prolly closer to 15

For CSM
1.5 OZ MAT = 1 gallon covers 4.2 square yds
2.0 OZ MAT = 1 gallon covers 3.4 square yds

For Woven Roving or Biaxial Cloth

There are about 150 ounces per gallon by weight
1.5 ounce cloth ( cloth not chopped mat)….1 gallon wets out 40 square yards
2.5 ounce cloth….1 gallon wets out 25 square yards
4 ounce cloth……1 gallon wets out 15 square yards
6 ounce cloth……1 gallon wets out 10 square yards
10 ounce cloth…..1 gallon wets out 6.5 square yards
18 ounce woven roving …1 gallon wets out 4.5 square yards
24 ounce woven roving …1 gallon wets out 3.5 square yards.
Biaxial mat 1708.………….. 1 gallon wets out 4 square yards

Please remember several things:

- these are estimates not hard and fast rules.
- you should always pre-coat your wood, the raw wood will soak up some resin, which is good, but you will use more resin on the first layer.
- thin resin goes farther than thick resin.
- you will have waste.

One last thing, it would really help you and us to help you if you would keep your posts about your project on one thread. Having all the pics and the other members responses on one thread helps us to have a history of the project and give you better solutions to your problems. I know it is hard to wait for answers sometimes but there are hundreds of posts here daily on multiple forums and it takes time for all of us to get to everyones issues. Patience is a virtue!!!!;)

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

With my 5 gallons from us. I got a huge bottle of hardner way may then enough