feeling abandoned in forum :(

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Not me personally, but Force and Chrysler owners in general.<br /><br />Plenty of Force/Chrysler owners with mechanical problems, but usually only one knowledgable person there to help with their questions, and it ain't me. Thanks eurolarva.<br /><br />How can we get some of the experienced wrenches from the omc or merc forums to visit us in the Force Chrysler forum? Just to pop in and see if help is needed.<br /><br />Many of the questions are brand generic in nature, and I'm sure they could be addressed by any experienced mechanic. Come on, really, we aren't talking about the most sophisticated outboards out there.<br /><br />I hate to refer members to another site to get an answer, but I hate to see them ignored even worse.<br /><br />Now if no one responds to this post, I will be feeling abandoned.

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: feeling abandoned in forum :(

Good post roscoe<br />Where as there are a lot better people than me to help them I'll just sit here with you so you won't feel so abandoned and tell ya a joke I heard.<br /><br /><br />Bowling Teams<br /><br />Two bowling teams, one of all Blondes and one of all Brunettes, charter a double-decker bus for a weekend bowling tournament in Atlantic City.<br /><br />The Brunette team rides in the bottom of the bus. The Blonde team rides on the top level.<br /><br />The Brunette team down below is whooping it up having a great time, when one of them realizes she doesn't hear anything from the Blondes upstairs. She decides to go up and investigate.<br /><br />When the Brunette reaches the top, she finds all the Blondes frozen in fear, staring straight-ahead at the road, and clutching the seats in front of them with white knuckles.<br /><br />She says, "What the heck's goin' on up here? We're havin' a grand time downstairs!" One of the Blondes from the second team looks up and says, "Yeah, but you've got a driver!"

Dunaruna

Admiral

Maybe this'll help cheer you up, group hug :) :) :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Just so you don't feel out in the cold, I am replying.<br />I personally will do what I can to check in on that forum from time to time, even though I know nothing about Chrysler and Force equipment. Been turnin wrenches enough years on everything else maybe I could be some help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the heads up roscoe......we'll see what we can do to help out. Just so many new posters in the repair forums....sometimes you have to look for a post you've been following.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure any help would be appreciated by the "member in need". There are only a couple posts over there per day, but sometimes they still go unanswered. It seems we have lost several good mechanics over the last year. What ever happened to Schematic? I loved his diagrams.<br /><br />Thanks ddawg, feeling more included now.<br />Good one Link, had me worried about where that one was going.<br />Feeling much better now Dunaruna, but next time .... lets just shake hands. :) <br />thanx OBJ, some poor sap like me, that owns a Force, will appreciate it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Good post, Roscoe. It brings to light something that has bugged me (not a major bug, but a non-killable mosquito), since I've been a member here. I check-into the Chysler/Force page every time I come to iboats, so I also see the declining interest. Of course, I answer the questions I can, and leave the rest, hoping the inquisitor is smart enough to use the search feature....Because the answer IS there. As you know, that page, along with all the others is as old as iboats' datatbase. The only changes made were when they devided them up into the many different brands. I personally fealt that move was not the best one, but the folks who run it are allways trying to make it better. Yoiu cannot go forward without back-peddling everyt once in a while, and the damage (as I see it) has been done. There was also some data loss in a restructuring, but don't know how extensive it was. Add to this, the decline in the number of Force owners over time, and you get a decline in "experts".<br /><br />And I see the replies by the same people (like Eurolarva and ,WillyBWright and you), are answering the same questions, like I have since 2001, and wonder when the "rant-post" will hit, asking people to "use the search feature before posting"!<br />Because again, the answer is there. Don't think of it as you would "Dockside Chat"...Think of it as a seldom-tapped data base! Because that is what it is. And what it is, is what you and I make it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to have forgotten to mention your participation 12Footer, and there are a few others as well.<br />You were the author of one of the first threads I read when I became a member here at iboats. You have a wealth of knowledge and share it often. <br />And I also will never get rid of the 12'er that my father bought over 45 years ago.<br /><br />While I have your attention, Do you know who "outboardpart" ebay seller is? He's from LeHigh Acres, also. I think I bought something from him a few years ago, but not sure.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

roscoe<br /> just because I was Force certified a few years back and I worked on chyslers,scott-attwaters and elgins as well as the white and red mercs with a few martins and westbends tossed in, does not mean I wish to relive the experience:) :) . actually I dont keep any manuals in my house I do most out of memory, and around here all the other motors corroded away and left years ago,<br />however I will try to assist more if I can. but that is one of the things preventing me from moving back to lake whitney Tx. here all the old stuff is long gone. there we still have to fight it :) .<br /> good luck and thanks for the reminder that force/chyslers need attention to.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey NP roscoe<br />I actually have a couple Force manuals around and should try to help more. <br />Good reminder, and glad you enjoyed my since of humor.<br />Still have (and always will have) a messed up left forefingure knuckle.. What was my left hand thinking?? While I was adjusting the top carb on a 1988 90HP Force with my right hand! Them Flywheels can be NASTY! :) ewww

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I try to answer when I can help,I usually only look at the posts that don't have any replies.<br />I thought that area was pretty well covered by the experts-eurolarva,12Footer??I will visit more often.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

An excellent point was brought up by 12footer. There is a great deal of information already in the Force/Chrysler database. <br />From what I have seen many of the questions there are generic to any outboard.<br />Thanks to all of you that have offered to stop by that section more often.<br />We will look into making the search function more prominent for newbies.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by roscoe:<br />It seems we have lost several good mechanics over the last year.
Yea and some of them could just about answer any question in any forum, but some did not like the way they answered.<br /><br />It does get old when you ask something and it will stay there for 2 or 3 days before anyone replies.<br /><br />I'm no expert so I don't even try cause I sure don't want someone to mess up over something I said, but I can and will start getting the answers if I can.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> I'm sure any help would be appreciated by the "member in need". There are only a couple posts over there per day, but sometimes they still go unanswered. It seems we have lost several good mechanics over the last year. What ever happened to Schematic? I loved his diagrams.<br /><br />Thanks ddawg, feeling more included now.<br />Good one Link, had me worried about where that one was going.<br />Feeling much better now Dunaruna, but next time .... lets just shake hands. :) <br />thanx OBJ, some poor sap like me, that owns a Force, will appreciate it.
Roscoe, my man, ya didn't buy that Force off eBay, didja?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No spratt, LOL. <br />I have owned a 1995 70hp Force since 1997.<br />But not much real world experience in repairs as (knock on wood) it has never given me any real troubles. <br />I hear ya sbn, its too bad the way that worked out, he has a head full of usefull info. But bidnez being bidnez, and strong individuals, and blah blah blah.<br />Good site over there, though, lots of info.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

But you're dang-sure helpfull on that page, Roscoe. To answer your previous question, no. I have no clue who "outboardpart" is. Having seen his "other items store" many times, I have attempted to contact him off-site, asked him about certain parts on-site, and have bid (and lost) on-site. But the guy doesn't answer emails, and his prices are somewhat absurd. I wonder if that 90HP was his. (JK,lol).

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I too was a Force owner 91 70 hp.<br />Must say I thought it was a fairly honest engine, no frills but totally reliab;le.<br />I sold all my books ans some left over scraps to CRAIG11 after I sold that boat and engine.<br />I would have kept the engine quite happily if were not that the project I got was fitted with the Volvo I/O.<br />I still check the forum on occasions to see whats up.<br /><br /> :) <br />Peter

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

One of my favorite things about Iboats is trying to find answers to the questions in the outboard motor posts. I have a cable internet connection which allows me to search a lot of areas and cross reference parts in very little time. Owning an old chyrsler outboard I found this site invaluable. Motor never ran right and no one around this area would work on it or sell parts without a part number. Roscoe and 12 footer jumped on my first threads here and got my motor running for me. Since then I have spent many hours reading old threads in order to fine tune my motor and also to help others with their problems.<br /><br />An area that I see that is hurting in chrysler/force is electronic people. Understanding the ignition systems and the electrical components of the motors. Those tend to be the threads that go unanswered. <br /><br />And finally as SBN mentioned. The threads a lot of times do not have closure. A question is posted and the final outcome or solution was never posted. That leads to searches for similar problems with questions but no answers.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I've answered a few questions there, still do, but you get a little tired of the same-same pulling the middle shift screw on the leg, no manual, endless solve-all decarbing, etc. Some one should write a good "FAQ" on them old Force motors, but then again getting a manual in the first place would solve so much heartache when good intentions go bad. And second the "No Closure"....like doing great work for someone and not even getting a thanks.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by eurolarva:<br /> <br />An area that I see that is hurting in chrysler/force is electronic people. Understanding the ignition systems and the electrical components of the motors. Those tend to be the threads that go unanswered.
Well, mate, I don't think there is any understanding of how Chrysler/Fore ignitions operate...JK, of course, but I know what you mean. I have a 50HP that I cannot wire-up the trigger/stator on, because all the wires are only two or three colors.....I'm so confused! It looks like three-color angel-hair pasta!<br />I think I'll be parting that puppy out, and buying a 4cycle merc from iboats (when I get the greenage, which aint any time soon).<br /> <br />
Originally posted by eurolarva:<br /><br />And finally as SBN mentioned. The threads a lot of times do not have closure. A question is posted and the final outcome or solution was never posted. That leads to searches for similar problems with questions but no answers.
Owners have done that since day-one here. I chalk it up to human nature. They got what they came for, got thier parts pordered, seeeya. It's normal behaviour, even tho it is kind of cold and self-centered on thier part.<br />But every one in a while--- you get the post expounding on how well the motor now runs, or the thanks for the weekend on the water with the family that you expedited, that allways makes it worth it. :)