Fat Fifty... Any advice?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fat Fifty... Any advice?

My engine was actually backfiring when I would try to start it. It was so loud I could hear the neighbours swearing!:lol:
Sounds like the plug wires are on the wrong plugs,Perhaps the timing is wrong.
Check the cap and rotor for cracks or carbon traces.If the wires are really old they could be arcing to one another.

Last edited:

JRegier

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like the plug wires are on the wrong plugs,Perhaps the timing is wrong.
Check the cap and rotor for cracks or carbon traces.If the wires are really old they could be arcing to one another.
Oh this was last summer, I've since had it running good. The flywheel came loose and I didn't realize until later that it basically destroyed the rotor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The loose flywheel destroyed the rotor? Sorry, I don't see how that is possible.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Erik C is the OP, but we have had a Fatty appreciation society meeting going in this thread....

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Erik C is the OP, but we have had a Fatty appreciation society meeting going in this thread....

....and even followers like me who don't intend on running a fatty, but have one hanging in the garage.

jasper60103

Commander

One of my fav videos. A fat fifty in the woods with a good smoke. LOL....

jbcurt00

Staff member

My project was kind of put on hold for the holidays. I'm hoping to be able to start working on mine again soon. I did, however, find one of the gears i'm probably going to need so I bought it. $100 every where else. I got mine for $20 plus shipping. Score! I also found a part number for a carburetor rebuild kit instead of having to by individual gaskets and such. I haven't bought that yet though.
If you'd PM me the details of your rebuild kit I'd appreciate it. I'll need it when I get to the Fat50 for mine. If it was a 1 of 1 sale or ebay, I don't need to steal it out from under you. I'm a ways off of needing it.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has been a Fat Fifty string for all. I think that's good because we can all learn from each other because i'm sure we will all end up running into similar situations. And that smoking motor video above scared me to death when I found that a few months ago. All I could think was "I hope that's not the destiny of my motor". lol.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those Fatty's have a dual purpose. Their stated purpose it to get you somewhere, in a reliable fashion, slowly while burning lots of fuel, but their secondary purpose it to kill every mosquito, en-route, and perhaps some fish as well. Smoke is good....

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Those fifty's are a smooth running motor.-----Have a sound and SMELL all of their own.-----Blind folded I could tell it was a fat fifty running just by the exhaust smell.------Nice motors but not for every day running.---Best to transplant a later V-4 into it if you like the cosmetics.---Even a 66 -100 HP will fit in there.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has been a Fat Fifty string for all. I think that's good because we can all learn from each other because i'm sure we will all end up running into similar situations. And that smoking motor video above scared me to death when I found that a few months ago. All I could think was "I hope that's not the destiny of my motor". lol.

LOL!!! That is awesome, I am sure that all fat 50 foggers have something to offer.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

elephant skiing.jpg Mine can pull my sister water skiing!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Mine can pull my sister water skiing!
:laugh: ^^^^ You know, there's a special place for fellas like us, you can stop looking up, it isn't that way :facepalm:

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was wondering if a skier could get up behind one of these. That's good to know. I wasn't sure if the old brochure was being honest. lol.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes the old brochure was honest. Myself and friends used to water ski all day behind one of those. Of course gas was only 30 cents a gallon :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I used to ski behind my Fatty all the time. Plenty of power to pull a skier on 2 skis. I little slow to pull a slalom skier.