Faint random clunking in neutral...then grinding/slipping noise

chiguy454

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 3, 2012
Messages
33
1988 Ciera 2455 OMC Cobra/5.7. Replaced lower unit with a supposedly "rebuilt" unit due to worn out clutch dog on a boat I recently purchased. Made all the proper shift cable adjustments and had it out 3 times with no issues. After we stopped for lunch I started it up to warm up while I pulled the anchor...noticed some random somewhat faint clunking while it was in neutral then all of a sudden it started making a grinding noise like something spun or was slipping. Not even sure what it could be, but it is an awful noise.
 

chiguy454

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 3, 2012
Messages
33
I should add that it still shifted, but the shifter acted funny and constantly made the grinding/slipping while in neutral and in gear. I idled into a launch ramp and it seemed to move OK but I didn't go above idle.
 
Top