Failed prop Bush

Steve2603

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
24
I just fitted a new Rapture stainless steel prop to my Johnson 135hp motor and after 2 outings the bush has failed. The first outing was around 40 miles, almost all in deep water > 1000ft.. the failure happened only 4 miles into the 2nd trip and again in deep water. for the most part the trips were running at around 10mph trolling in deep water. I am 99% sure I did not hit the prop on the bottom putting the boat in or out of the water. Before I replace the bush just wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with such a fauilure.. could it be heat build up from exhaust gases during the low-speed trolling? <br /><br />Thanks...
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: Failed prop Bush

I don't think the exhaust would ever get hot enough...there's water going through there too.<br />I take it it's a flo-torq hub? Same as XHS..<br />Maybe the nut was not tight enough and that let it slip....besides hitting something, that's about all that can cause it.
 

Steve2603

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
24
Re: Failed prop Bush

Ok Thanks, I had the nut fairly tight so not sure that was it.. maybe the bush was just poorly fitted from new.. I inspected the prop and could see no sign of damage on it anywhere.. the edges look clean and smooth so if it hit something it was fairly minor..
 
Top