Eye Glasses and Driving question?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well in the last 2 months I have completed my cataract surgeries and they have both been successful, I am trying to get a hold of the state on this, but you know how it goes when you call a state agency!!!

I have always had an eye glass restriction on my drivers license but after these surgeries, I don't need glasses at all for most functions other than reading a book, I can drive and identify signs, lines, light and the whole shebang. I understand I can be cited if I am not wearing glasses while driving because of the prescription lens restriction on my license. I would prefer to not get a new license because of cost right now and my license is still good for 4 years, anybody ever been through this and did a note from you eye doctor to explain the situation?

Just curious, this is new territory for me..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tell 'em you have contacts. :rolleyes:

Take your readers and note with you. The restriction never says what the glasses should be. With all the advances in eye stuff today, they probably see plenty of "customers" just like you.

tpenfield

Staff member
Your license restriction is probably not 'glasses', but 'corrective lenses'. You now have permanent corrective lenses.

Case closed :D

GA_Boater

Way to say it :thumb:

Looked at GA restrictions and indeed - Corrective lenses required.

This one confused me;
UVisually impaired parent or driver >= 21

Not the parent part, but the driver?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just talked to them, the lenses that were implanted to remove the cataracts qualifies as corrective lenses and I have a card on each eye that tells what is in each eye, so good to go with no problems.

GA_Boater

Just talked to them, the lenses that were implanted to remove the cataracts qualifies as corrective lenses and I have a card on each eye that tells what is in each eye, so good to go with no problems.

You must be enjoying seeing again, MT. I know I did. :smile:

dwco5051

Commander
I made a copy of the IOL card and carry it in the glove compartment. Since that is the most common surgery in the USA I am sure the police already have a lot of experience with seeing this. Too bad there isn't a method as easy at this was for me to put the rest of this 80 year old body back as good as when I was 25.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ya, if they could figure out at 5 minute fix for my back, I would be in 7th heaven....LOL

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am enjoying it big time, but was surprised at how much I had lost and didn't even realize it...

And that is because it doesn't change over night. The slow change usually never gets noticed until it get too bad. Been there done that when I was only 16...

dwco5051

Commander
And that is because it doesn't change over night. The slow change usually never gets noticed until it get too bad. Been there done that when I was only 16...

Like putting new shock absorbers on a car. You don't realize how bad the old ones were until your first drive with the new ones.

ezbtr

Commander
I had the right done 6 yrs ago(at 48, waterfront will do that) was seeing 20/20 that pm, was so used to driving w/ glasses, I forgot - til we moved to TX 18 mos ago, got new license, test etc, 1st time in life I don't HAVE to wear specs, getting more used to sunglasses :) now my specs just for reading

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had the right done 6 yrs ago(at 48, waterfront will do that) was seeing 20/20 that pm, was so used to driving w/ glasses, I forgot - til we moved to TX 18 mos ago, got new license, test etc, 1st time in life I don't HAVE to wear specs, getting more used to sunglasses :) now my specs just for reading

Getting used to sunglasses has been different and the reading glasses I have picked up at the dollar store, I plan on getting a good set after everything settles in, but right now a buck a pair is working out good.

dwco5051

Commander
Getting used to sunglasses has been different and the reading glasses I have picked up at the dollar store, I plan on getting a good set after everything settles in, but right now a buck a pair is working out good.

I found that early mornings and at twilight my shooting glasses are the perfect thing for driving. Now if I only could find something a little more stylish for under 10 bucks in the same blue blocking yellow tint I would buy them. The day after my first eye was done I went out in the morning with a couple of different scoped rifles and did some dry firing. The only problem was the awkwardness of holding the weapon left handed but the view was great.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I found that early mornings and at twilight my shooting glasses are the perfect thing for driving. Now if I only could find something a little more stylish for under 10 bucks in the same blue blocking yellow tint I would buy them. The day after my first eye was done I went out in the morning with a couple of different scoped rifles and did some dry firing. The only problem was the awkwardness of holding the weapon left handed but the view was great.

The sunglasses I have been wearing I picked up at Harbor Freight, $1.99 a pair and they are actually safety glasses as well, I have a couple of pairs of every color they offer which is Yellow, Smoke and of course Clear and they are working out pretty well, depending on the time of day it is. The clear ones are good for what I do in the shop and both cars have a pair of smoke and yellow in them, so I can switch out as needed.

dwco5051

Commander
I wear my HF $1.99 yellow safety glasses for most of my outside work. The boys made fun of me when I first got them but after trying them on they each went out and bought them in all 3 colors. I saw ones just like them with magnification at Walmart a year ago but I don't know if they still carry them.