External hydraulic lines

lukecono

Seaman
Hey guys I was trimming up and blew out a trim line , I believe the UP. I’m trying to find the right replacement and there’s so many out there. Some look like 15+” and other is 16+” are my 2 choices. West marine sells one but it appears to be black and not the metal braided silver looking one. It’s an 1984 alpha 1 gen 1.

Attachments

• IMG_5540.jpeg
    IMG_5540.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5541.jpeg
    IMG_5541.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5539.jpeg
    IMG_5539.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Mercury part number 32-99904Q. Hose - Trim Cylinder to Connector (Stbd Up Pressure)

The down hose is one of two different styles depending on trim cylinder tube length

lukecono

Seaman
Mercury part number 32-99904Q. Hose - Trim Cylinder to Connector (Stbd Up Pressure)

The down hose is one of two different styles depending on trim cylinder tube length
okay I got the 2 inside short ones from west marine . Sierra 18-2113. Do u know what the longer ones are ? Idk if it’s the 15 9/16th or the 16 3/16.

lukecono

Seaman
You can measure them?

It's the cylinder tube length
i got it thanks. gen 1 alphas are 15-9/16th. $105 from SEI.

Now I have the older SAE J1171 Marine and I'm not sure how to add or check the fluid with that model. The newer ones have a resevior which would be nice. Also is there a good way to bleed these lines? Can you put all 4 new lines on and then leave something open on the pump and run it up and down a couple times to bleed the air out? Maybe with some assisted help on the drive im sure it will need some.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
The older style alpha trim pumps also have a reservoir, just not as obvious as the latest style. The fill plug is a large slotted head screw, some of which have a dipstick attached

With the drive in the full down/in position fill the reservoir with 10-30 motor oil, replace the cap and operate the trim system normally. The system is self bleeding

Might take a few cycles to fill the system complete. Only top off the reservoir with the drive in the full down/in position. If the drive is up and reservoir full there's a good chance of overfilling and leaking

lukecono

Seaman
The older style alpha trim pumps also have a reservoir, just not as obvious as the latest style. The fill plug is a large slotted head screw, some of which have a dipstick attached

With the drive in the full down/in position fill the reservoir with 10-30 motor oil, replace the cap and operate the trim system normally. The system is self bleeding

Might take a few cycles to fill the system complete. Only top off the reservoir with the drive in the full down/in position. If the drive is up and reservoir full there's a good chance of overfilling and leaking
Thanks a lot for all your help!
-So I'm replacing all 4 lines,
-installing all new ones, and fastening tightly
-Keep the drive down, and check fluid level on trim pump via slotted head screw
-Fill up to proper height if theres a dip stick
-Go both up and down cycles a couple times (WITH THE SCREW OPEN? to let air out?)
-Check fluid and fill accordingly after cycling a few times?
-Repeat until drive goes up and down
-put drive fully down and check fluid height

If that's all-correct steps thank you! Can I put in the powersteering/trim fluid in that system, or should it be the 10-30?

Grub54891

Admiral
I always run the trim up/down a few times then let it sit for either overnight or till the end of the day. The oil has air in it and foams up. Once that settles out check again. Top off as needed, and check a couple days later to be sure it’s at the correct level.