external above decks fuel tank...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
What is the safest / preferred way to set an i/o up for a second, external (above deck, externally vented) fuel tank? There are days I want to be able to carry more fuel than my permanent tank holds. I have an external 12 gal plastic tank I would strap to the deck and have accounted for the extra weight. Thanks

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: external above decks fuel tank...

You might want to look at USCG regulations.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nothing different between an IO or an outboard. Inside the boat you need the proper fuel line, fittings, and fuel rated Y valve.

robert graham

Admiral

I run a red plastic above deck 12 gallon gas tank, but for long trips just put a couple of red plastic 6 gallon jerry cans back there, just pour from jerry cans into main 12 gallon tank. That way I don't need extra fittings, fuel lines, etc. for the extra gas cans. That extra 12 gallons feel real good somewhere way down the river, and saves that queasy, "wonder if I have enough gas?" feeling. Good Luck!

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to be able to carry extra gas too but I think I'll follow the USCG Regs and mount a tank or 2 in my engine compartment, letting gas cans "Vent" into that explosive atmosphere scares the daylights outta me! I have room to carry at LEAST 2 12 gallon tanks. I've only gotta put 1 Y into the fuel line and a Y into the vent line, everything will sit all together and be ship shape. Some day I'd like to take the trip across to Catalina Island. I'm gonna need more fuel!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks fellas! I did read coast guard regs and it wasn't clear to me. I'm NOT planning to put a 12 gal above deck fuel tank in the engine compartment! I'm talking aobut running a properly rated y valve to T a line from the plastic above deck tank in before my water separator / filter... using approrpiate fittings and hose.

there are days when we want to eat up miles, and the 17 gal tank in the boat just doesn't last if we're running at 55 or 60+ for long periods of time or pulling kids on skis and tues all day long. Also, for when we leave it in at a friends house, being able to carry the 12 gal tank up to the truck for high quality and cheaper gas makes a lot of sense... I'll secure it to
the deck with straps... Cheers!

ps. if you mount tanks in the engine compartment, the fuel fill and vent need both need to go to outside the engine compartment... That makes it somewhat more complicated to add additional tank(s) do in my opinion.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I run a red plastic above deck 12 gallon gas tank, but for long trips just put a couple of red plastic 6 gallon jerry cans back there, just pour from jerry cans into main 12 gallon tank. That way I don't need extra fittings, fuel lines, etc. for the extra gas cans. That extra 12 gallons feel real good somewhere way down the river, and saves that queasy, "wonder if I have enough gas?" feeling. Good Luck!

Is that legal?

Although filling at a marina is technically still on the water, I thought it was a no-no to fuel a boat from a fuel can while on the water...

I'd do something clumsy and end up dumping a bunch across the deck if I tried that.

robert graham

Admiral

I've been doing it for years with no problem. The red jerry cans have spouts that run right into your main tank. I always stop the boat, turn off the motor and find a nice quiet spot to transfer fuel. A 5 or 6 gallon jerry is fairly easy to handle. Nobody can pick up a 12 gallon fuel tank!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Put a 3 way valve in the existing fuel line. One input is from the existing tank, the other input connect a portable fuel line with primer and a quick disconnect to plug into the portable tank. The output from the switch goes to the motor. The three way will let the fuel be switched between main tank, portable tank, and off. That setup will be safe, uses all approved fuel lines, and there is nothing in the regulations prohibiting it. Have that same setup on two boats and it works great. The portable can be stashed out of the way when not needed, then plugged into the fuel line when needed.