Exterior hull delamination, easy fix?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Exterior hull delamination, easy fix?

hermm..I dont recall taking a sawzall or chainsaw to it lol..

BTW.. please make sure you can get some pics of the "tabbed" fiberglass on the bulkhead..

YD.

erikgreen

Captain

well I got a quote today, $3264.00. OUCH. So I'm going to try and get the floor up to take a look inside and give all you experts the pics so you can tell me how stupid hard it will be to fix. :)

What's interesting is that you got that quote to fix it without them opening up the floor, apparently? Wonder how they know how long it'll take?

:)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What's interesting is that you got that quote to fix it without them opening up the floor, apparently? Wonder how they know how long it'll take?

:)

If you do this for a living..its not hard to see something that of which you have already done in the past..wouldnt take me to open the floor..just poke my head in and see what its gonna take.

You pay me that kinda cash.. I would'nt even need to see inside lol.. In one day I could get all the glassing done ( even if the tabbing on the bulkhead was busted. )

YD.

jonesg

Admiral

well I got a quote today, $3264.00. OUCH. :)

bah!
and its the last $4 that breaks the bank.!

Theres a saying that the repair is easy, its repairing the mess that the repair makes that takes time. Try to make your cuts so they are not obvious if you get around to refinishing.
I'd do it just to thumb my nose at them.;)

jonesg

Admiral

You pay me that kinda cash.. I would'nt even need to see inside lol.. In one day I could get all the glassing done ( even if the tabbing on the bulkhead was busted. )

YD.

pay me that sort of lolly and I'll buy you another boat and keep the change.:D

" yeh we painted it a different color for you and changed the seats"

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol, yeah they didn't pull the floor or anything. I'm pulling the interior out now, whats the best way to get the floor up?

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPDATE:
IMG00010-20090614-1607.jpg

IMG00009-20090614-1606.jpg

IMG00007-20090614-1605.jpg

from what I can see there is no damage on the inside of the hull, and the damage is not at the bulkhead, please correct me if I'm wrong. The good part was I can see the area inside where the damage is from the floor storage area, just had to pull the carpet out. The bad is if there is damage that I am not seeing it's not accessible without removing the cap, which I am not doing.

Let me know what you think, from what I have seen I would think I could just grind down the outside damage and re-glass it, then paint, no?

jonesg

Admiral

I would grind the inside, wash with acetone, apply a bigger patch than the outside damage and then do the exterior. I might also try to glass the cap to hull joint in that area to stiffen everything up, if you can get at the joint from the inside.

Did something pop loose at the top right hand side of the photo?
could just be a shadow.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats just a shadow, it's all solid. If there is no visible damage on the interior of the hull can't I just address the exterior damage and be ok?

jonesg

Admiral

yeh I think so, the worst that can happen is you have to do it again.
It would take less than an hour to slap a patch on the inside.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

well like I said, access to the area that I would need to work on inside the hull is near impossible for doing glass work, and I'm not tearing things apart for that piece of mind.

It really doesn't look like there is any damage on the inside, I think fixing the problems on the outside are where i need to focus at this point.

With that said, can anyone point me in the direction of a good write up or thread that describes what is involved in the exterior fix?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks jonesg, thats what I was looking for.

How exactly do you blend the new glass into the old glass?

jonesg

Admiral

pull the loose stuff off, its shot.
...grind the gelcoat and old glass back to an area bigger than the damage, apply resin and matting, smaller patch first then a larger one, you might need 3 layers to bring the level back up to close to level, then fairing putty and try to carve the strake whilst its still waxy or green.
I could do it with bondo but thats no good for boats. You might just have to lay it on try to shape with a putty knife ,then carve it with a grinder later.

lets see what yotdoc says, his finish work is perfect.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

bump for yacht Dr., paging the Dr. :)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sorry for the delay m8..

I was sure it was a bulkhead hardpoint..but from your pics I can see .. well..no bulkhead :) ( though it looks like from the wood cut and in your pic seems like it was repaired on the inside allready.. ) the strips of glass do not look right for manufacturing .

The only thing I see in your pics might be a prob with the lower left .. where it goes through your strake..It looks white..

Here is what I would do.. cut the bulk of the delam off the outside as possible ( saves grinding ) .. then grind ALL the white dead glass in one spot till it hits good glass.. ( do not feather grind at this point ). If it goes through..then you could get away with prep and glass from the inside and make your new hull in that area.

Not to get your hopes up..but there is no bulkhead..and you have access now..I dont see a reason that you cant repair this safely.. You just have to grind all the dead glass out..and bevel and re-glass..

Grind your outside.. get pics..post and show. When you grind all the dead glass out your close ..

YD.

PS. Again.. sorry for delay.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Dr.! I'll clean up the exterior damage and post back with pics, I really don't think it goes that deep to go all the way through. More to come soon! :)

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPDATE:

So today the weather finally gave me a chance to get out and clean the wound on the hull. As directed by the Yacht Doc I cut off as much of the de-laminated glass off as I could then went at it with a sanding disc.

Take a look at the pics and let me know if I'm on the right track, this is my first fiberglass work.

This is right after I took the delaminated flap off.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjAtMjAwOTA2MjQtMTA0N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTktMjAwOTA2MjQtMTA0N.jpg

this is where I ended up after a good sanding, the white stuff doesn't look nearly that white in real life, the camera makes it look much worse.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjItMjAwOTA2MjQtMTEyM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjEtMjAwOTA2MjQtMTExO.jpg

So did I sand it down enough? It's still really solid so I think there is still plenty of glass there, but I'm no expert.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good so far... You just need to keep grinding/sanding where you see air between any of the laminates (gel coat and fiberglass).

I'm seeing a pretty nice gap between the strake and the glass...

You're going to be proud of yourself and the boat once you're done! You're on the right track, that's for sure!

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! So by air gap you mean the white areas seen in the pics?

I haven't done any grinding to the strake, or any of the edges as the Yacht Dr. instructed.