Extended Warranty

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Do people normally take out the extended warranty.
I have a 4.3L 280-C-N (Duoprop)
It comes with standard 2 year warranty, and I can 'buy' the extended warranty giving extra 3 yrs so providing me with full 5 yr cover.
I thought choice would be easy .... until the price arrived.
The extended warranty costs 2156 GBP (incl tax) so ~$2,822 or effectively 718 GBP per year (~$940)

Do you guys take out extended warranty ? .....its certainly not cheap.
Add it depreciation and running costs puts annual ownership up a significant amount.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I have never been a big fan of purchasing extended warranties. My general thought is that if something is going to break, it will break during the original warranty an if I keep my money in the bank, for you $2822, I will have that money to help cover anything that might occur after the original warranty expires. A good maintenance routine alleviates a lot of future problems.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here is how warranty works. a manufacturer puts 10-15% of its material and labor cost into an account. this is to cover manufacturing defects during a standard warranty

the extended warranty is just a slightly higher percentage (usually 25%) of the material and labor costs of things that may go awry in years 3, 4, and 5. for example, if a bad seal in the drive leaks all the gear lube out and takes out the drive. that cost would be higher than the warranty cost. or a bad batch of oil pump shafts that fail and take out the motor.

I have mixed feelings as I have skipped an extended warranty only to have a manufacturing defect take out a transmission in a vehicle less than 60 days after the original warranty ran out. I have also had extended warranties that paid for themselves and many that have not.

I would be tempted to put the $2800 in a high interest bearing account

aspeck

Staff member
On some things I will take out a warranty and others I will not ... it depends on the cost of the warranty and the item. For instance, I just bought a new dryer for the house (Maytag). It comes with a 2 year warranty and a 10 year warranty on the drive and drum. The 3 years of extended warranty (to make it 5 years all inclusive) cost $120. But if it is not used, you get 30% back at the end of the 5 years. So the effective cost is $84.

But, at $2800 for an extended warranty on your engine, if I have to add that amount to the loan I am paying interest on it plus the amount, and nope, not going to do it. If I have the $2800 laying around to pay for it, I would probably just set it aside in a "Boat Account" and not touch it until after the initial 2 year warranty is up. Then use the "Boat Account" to pay for any non-maintenance repairs. See where you are at the end of the 5 years. My guess is you will be ahead of the game if you take care of your vessel.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Do people normally take out the extended warranty.
I have a 4.3L 280-C-N (Duoprop)
It comes with standard 2 year warranty, and I can 'buy' the extended warranty giving extra 3 yrs so providing me with full 5 yr cover.
I thought choice would be easy .... until the price arrived.
The extended warranty costs 2156 GBP (incl tax) so ~$2,822 or effectively 718 GBP per year (~$940)

Do you guys take out extended warranty ? .....its certainly not cheap.
Add it depreciation and running costs puts annual ownership up a significant amount.
I generally decline them, as I figure the manufacturer wouldn't offer the warranty if they didn't make money on the warranty sale and I am one of the weirdos who actually enjoys working on stuff so I am only looking at potential parts cost.

Now if you are the one out of 100 who has a big issue then it looks like money well spent... especially if you prefer not to turn wrenches .

tpenfield

Staff member
I've never been a fan of warranties, unless they are bumper-to-bumper (stem-to-stern) type of warranties, because it seems like the first thing the company does is try to figure out why an issue is your fault and not a defect.

One of the few nice things about buying a used boat where the warranties are expired or don't apply. There is clarity.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Extended warranties......they wouldn't offer "Extended Warranties" unless the odds where not well stacked against the buyer.

As I sale guy I love them.........gold in the bank and money in my pocket.

Only thing more lucrative are Maintenance Contracts...;)

Reactions: muc

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Thought this would be advice …. I‘ll set up a bank direct debit to put 50 GBP a month into a savings account … and forget it …. If no claims in 3 years no loss ….

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... If yer the kinda person that pays somebody else to fix yer stuff, it might be worth it,.....
Considerin' most of us here are at a minimum Diyers, or Mechanics,.... No, it ain't worth it,.....

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I do loads of work ..... but while under warranty do get annual services in place - glad I did, as they are now to swap out the transom shield, rams and the whole of the drive - all under warranty.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
A little over 20 years ago I was a claims adjuster for the biggest seller of these in North America. I can’t speak to how it works on the other side of the pond, but here in the U.S.
I recommend them to friends and family when they buy a new boat. The dealer gets 50% of the price, so they will usually be able to offer a better deal on the price of the boat. Then cancel the contract and get back 100% of the price.
If anybody is still thinking about one of these, read the contract very closely. A lot of times they don’t cover what you think they do. A few things I learned.
MerCruiser started using a plastic power steering pump pulley, when they broke. The claim was denied because the while power steering pump was covered the pulley was not. As it was a part that was available separately.
Seals and gaskets aren’t covered So if you have a defective seal go bad there will be no coverage.
The contract will have a limit of liability. Usually the value of the engine and drive package. So let’s say you have a 5.7L with duo-prop drive Value of the package is $10,000. You have a faulty piston pin and need a new $7,000 engine, it’s covered. But now a bearing goes out in the drive. $6,000 but the contract only has $3,000 left to pay. You have to come up with an extra $3,000 and now the “extended warranty” is now over.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
To be fair there is no value limit to extended warranty, it clearly states it is a full extension to original 2 years …. and covers all parts & labour for engine, drive & controls.

However decided too pricey and wont take it out.